HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Crawford interested in head coaching

Old
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think that's a very good analysis.

When you do analyze someone but admit right off the bat that you're not a supporter of him, it's normal to see some bias in the article.

I have not read one positive thing in this article about Crawford, and a very little SC recognition.

Very bad analysis in my opinion.
Everyone is biased. I would say this is especially true when dealing a public figure who has been part of the media - just look at all the opinions thrown around about McGuire, Burke and Tortorella. I would rather have someone admit their bias off the bat, than try to keep it hidden.

That said, I think it's a good analysis because the writer has come up with a way to quantify a coach's performance.

As for "SC recognition" - Crawford isn't the only Avs coach in that era to have won the Cup. By putting his record up against his immediate predecessors and replacements, the article finds a way to compare him to the others.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Everyone is biased. I would say this is especially true when dealing a public figure who has been part of the media - just look at all the opinions thrown around about McGuire, Burke and Tortorella. I would rather have someone admit their bias off the bat, than try to keep it hidden.

That said, I think it's a good analysis because the writer has come up with a way to quantify a coach's performance.

As for "SC recognition" - Crawford isn't the only Avs coach in that era to have won the Cup. By putting his record up against his immediate predecessors and replacements, the article finds a way to compare him to the others.
You have to consider that Crawford developped most of the young players for the second cup run (Forsberg, Foote notably). He also proved he could build a winner elsewhere, something Hartley hasn't done.

Maybe his predecessors reaped the rewards from good coaching/player development also. That hasn't been factored in. Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrisson all became shade of the players they once were when they weren't with Crawford (age has to be factor in this nonetheless).

Also, Vancouver got Luongo right after he left for some spare parts. That hasn't been factored in. Most like Murray got some solid goaltending from Quick while Crawford had Garon, LaBarbera, Ersberg and Cloutier (among others) in LA. Not exactly fair, considering most of the kids from LA regressed this year production-wise.

All in all, it's a fairly biased study.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Tombernack

Anyone remember that time at 1998 Olympics when Crawford looked down his bench in a shootout and skipped over #99.

No knock on Shanahan or Bourque or any of the other 3 shooters, but it was WAYNE GRETZKY we're talking about! You put the all-time goals leader in a shootout!

Its all I can think about when I hear/see that idiot on CBC.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
I'm all for Crawford. He got it all :

1-Experience
2-Stanley Cup ring
3-Winning Record
4-Speaks french (kinda...like just enough, which is PERFECT if you ask me)
5-Hairdo

By the way, which have the best record, bald coaches or coaches with hairdos?
I was wondering about that the other time...
You're talking about Hartley, right ?...

Hartley is ahead of Crawford on Bob's list.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
You're talking about Hartley, right ?...

Hartley is ahead of Crawford on Bob's list.
And you know this because you're..?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanator76 View Post
And you know this because you're..?
Somebody who should be on everyone's ignore list. You should join the club.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Somebody who should be on everyone's ignore list. You should join the club.
Great between, I think I'm gonna listen to you

Old
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
Anyone remember that time at 1998 Olympics when Crawford looked down his bench in a shootout and skipped over #99.

No knock on Shanahan or Bourque or any of the other 3 shooters, but it was WAYNE GRETZKY we're talking about! You put the all-time goals leader in a shootout!

Yah thats the first thing i think of when i hear his name

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

It's called a mistake. You do some, I do too, and so does every single person living in this world.

A lot of people are on Crawford's back over this, but they're quick to forget that Gretzky wasn't having an amazing tournament and in 4Games he still didn't have 1 Goal.

You can question his decision, after all it was Gretzky, but that is more than 10years ago. Time to move on.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

My first choice would still be Big Bird.

And then Lever. I don't care about the supposed "requirements" made by Boivin, Gainey knows better than him when it comes to hockey operations, and Lever can learn French (actually to get better as he does speak some).

And then Hartley or Crawford.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Stan

Quote:

Actually, I have to disagree. Gretzky is the first to admit he's not the greatest at breakaways. That being said, I don't think Bourque would have been on my list. Who knows. I don't think anyone was going to beat Hasek.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
It's called a mistake. You do some, I do too, and so does every single person living in this world.

A lot of people are on Crawford's back over this, but they're quick to forget that Gretzky wasn't having an amazing tournament and in 4Games he still didn't have 1 Goal.

You can question his decision, after all it was Gretzky, but that is more than 10years ago. Time to move on.
He also had the option of picking Yzerman.

He chose:
1) T. Fleury
2) R. Bourque
3) J. Nieuwendyk
4) E. Lindros
5) B. Shanahan

I like all those guys and hate to rip on them, but none of them should have been chosen instead of Gretzky or Yzerman. Thats 2 big errors. Blasphemy.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Hyped

Marc Crawford is an excellent coach. He's the #1 guy on my list if I were to choose...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
Marc Crawford is an excellent coach. He's the #1 guy on my list if I were to choose...
Excellent?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
He also had the option of picking Yzerman.

He chose:
1) T. Fleury
2) R. Bourque
3) J. Nieuwendyk
4) E. Lindros
5) B. Shanahan

I like all those guys and hate to rip on them, but none of them should have been chosen instead of Gretzky or Yzerman. Thats 2 big errors. Blasphemy.
You're talking about 5 players that were part of the best during their era. It's not like he chose chumps over Gretzky or Yzerman.

Maybe you would have picked differently, but like I said it was more than 10years ago.

Gretzky, Sakic, Yzerman, Kariya, Linden, Primeau were all sitting on the bench. I mean, he has to chose 5 superstars within 18ish..
Maybe he even practiced shootouts with them and those were the best ones. Bottom line is Hasek was amazing and not putting Gretzky or Yzer is not the reason why they lost.

Let's drop the Nagano Olympics because it's quite pathetic.

Mario Tremblay let Roy in for 9Goals. Do you think he'd do the same today?..so let's move on shall we.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/274315.html

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He's the guy I want.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Bretvincent

He definetely looks like he could be a prime canditate.

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanator76 View Post
He's the guy I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
He definetely looks like he could be a prime canditate.
At least he seems genuinely interested in the position.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Phousse

Quote:

I bet if he did choose Gretzky and Gretzky didn't score, people would be chastising him about that.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Jigger77

He would be my first choice.

A. I like the idea of an experienced coach with ties to Western Canada (hopefully draw in Western Canadian players).

B. Anytime a guy calls in to demonstrate interest in Montreal he gets in my good books.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
"""Lors de l’entraînement matinal des deux équipes, au United Center de Chicago, il a gentiment accepté de répondre à nos questions, dans un français presque impeccable. Un entretien de 20 minutes qui nous démontre à quel point cet ancien champion de la coupe Stanley pourrait être le candidat recherché par Bob Gainey."""

Yeah, now you know why the French media will drool over this one in the upcoming weeks.

I'd prefer Big Bird, by a mile.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
"""Lors de l’entraînement matinal des deux équipes, au United Center de Chicago, il a gentiment accepté de répondre à nos questions, dans un français presque impeccable. Un entretien de 20 minutes qui nous démontre à quel point cet ancien champion de la coupe Stanley pourrait être le candidat recherché par Bob Gainey."""

Yeah, now you know why the French media will drool over this one in the upcoming weeks.

I'd prefer Big Bird, by a mile.
Nothing against the guy, but I think he's a bit too much of a players coach for this team. I would take him without any question as a D-coach, but as a head coach? I don't know.

Personnally I think it's time to stop living in the past. Get the guy who fits the mold the best. And I think Crawford is exactly what this team win. A rough coach who makes his teams play an offensive forechecking game. Plus he's got great experience.

Old
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I wouldn't mind Crawford at all,it's not like if we have a Gretzky on our team,actually far from it!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
I bet if he did choose Gretzky and Gretzky didn't score, people would be chastising him about that.
Nah, they wouldn't. No one complains about the other guys who didn't score in the shootout. Crawford made a mistake choosing Bourque over Gretzky, I'd say.

I still want him as our coach.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote