HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers interested in Emery

Old
05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
the flyers aren't using any assets to acquire emery. that is the definition of no-risk.
Wouldn't the definition of no-risk be if the player actually was without risk?

Was New York's re-acquisition of Sean Avery no-risk to you?

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Paniflex View Post
Why not just re-sign Biron? at least you don't have to put up with Emery's antics. Trust me, the guy isn't worth it. I would have put up with all his ******** if he was a top ten goalie, but he's not and he never will be. He's an average starter and he's not worth your time.
Biron wants a long term contract when the Flyers want a shorter deal.

I agree about Emery.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:15 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Wouldn't the definition of no-risk be if the player actually was without risk?

Was New York's re-acquisition of Sean Avery no-risk to you?
well, maybe no-risk is too strong of a word. emery for the flyers and avery for the rangers could be considered low risk high reward deals because neither team dealt any assets. the only risk is if the player doesn't pan out, and that is easily remedied for a team like the flyers.

i dunno why this is such a contentious issue...

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
they dont cut corners or try to be fiscally responsible. they dont believe you need a great goalie to win. i totally disgaree but what do i know, i mean they have had temas over the last 15 years that were good enough to win but lacked a goalie. if not for the pens having the better goalie they would still be playing. hopefulyl holmgren realizes this.
I am aware you don't need a truly great goalie, but how much is enough? How many goalies do they have to go though. Apparently, just 1 goalie coach first off, they've had the same one for 14 years...

And yes they do cut corners. They traded a 2nd round pick for Biron in 2007, either making sure they got their guy, or making sure they got their guy so they didn't have to negotiate amongst other teams.

Bob Clarke is on record as stating that he went for VanBeisbrouck over Curtis Joseph because he cost less, and "spending too much on your goaltender takes away from the rest of your team" -- this before the salary cap.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:24 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Bob Clarke is on record as stating that he went for VanBeisbrouck over Curtis Joseph because he cost less, and "spending too much on your goaltender takes away from the rest of your team" -- this before the salary cap.
I remember he saying that and I was like "What????????" I don't get it, it always seemed like we had an open checkbook pre-cap days except when it came to goalies. It was always about spending less on goalies and goalies were always our weak point. We don't even draft many goalies (and when we do they are late picks). While it is important that now we watch our salaries (except we still don't seem to care about non-goalie contracts), we aren't solving the problem. The only way to truely solve this issue is to draft goalies finally so you can work within your own franchise rather than always looking to trade for goalies who may or may not be our goalie for more than 2 seasons.

Thanks to the center ice package I got 90% non-Flyer broadcasting this season and after about half way through the season, the #1 topic that came up was Flyer goalie issues since Hextall. I think the issue is pretty clear to everyone else, why hasn't it been addressed yet?

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:08 AM
lefty2time*

Emery is a piece of crap goalie

This thead (if true) is more evidence backing up what i have been saying for a long time now. Philly needs to go out and trade for a good young goalie, or a great goalie prospect 1-2 years away.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
There are goalies of Emery's caliber available with out the baggage and apparently unchanged attitude. If the Flyers still don't have a goalie in mid-July and there is not much better out there (i.e. if the Flyers are effed), then I think Emery is a reasonable idea.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Hale The Villain

Please no. Emery is a good goaltender with attitude problems. I have no doubt in my mind he will suceed in the NHL if given another chance. I just hope it isn't on a team other than Ottawa

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Please no. Emery is a good goaltender with attitude problems. I have no doubt in my mind he will suceed in the NHL if given another chance. I just hope it isn't on a team other than Ottawa
Philadelphia isn't the place to work out those kind of issues.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote