HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones to have hip surgery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2009, 03:20 PM
  #51
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
It's all good.

But in reality, I think we should all find the underperformance of Richards, Carter, and Timonen to be far more disturbing and predictive of future fail than whatever Randy Jones did poorly in the series.

Those guys are supposed to carry the team.
thanks for avoiding the question at hand.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
  #52
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Watch him get an extension now.

And a raise.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:32 PM
  #53
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
It's all good.

But in reality, I think we should all find the underperformance of Richards, Carter, and Timonen to be far more disturbing and predictive of future fail than whatever Randy Jones did poorly in the series.

Those guys are supposed to carry the team.
Not to make excuses but we have one for Jones **** playing because he was "hurt". That being said why doesnt Carter get a pass? Since Jones got a pass for being hurt, why cant Carter? I do agree that Richards didnt look the best, but the argument of Kimmo only have one point, can be attributed to the fact that he was more worried about trying to shut down Crosby/Malkin then putting up points. He didnt do amazing at it, but he didnt do that bad of a job. Jones and Carcillo get picked on more because they really dont do anything. Please tell me what they bring to the table? (Dont say Carcillo and his meaness, because so far he hasnt shown much of that). Those both had good games, but the reason they get picked on more is because players like Richards, Carter and Kimmo (might as well add in Gags cause you seem to dont like him either) actually do things during games, might not be constantly, but for the most part they make things happen.


Like I stated before, countlessly, Carcillo ONLY on the fourth line and Jones ONLY on the third pairing (with alot less money), I would be totally happy.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
  #54
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Since Jones got a pass for being hurt, why cant Carter?
Who is giving Jones a pass for being hurt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
the argument of Kimmo only have one point, can be attributed to the fact that he was more worried about trying to shut down Crosby/Malkin then putting up points. He didnt do amazing at it, but he didnt do that bad of a job.
Didn't do that bad of a job???? At the end of the first round, Crosby and Malkin were atop the league in playoff scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
players like Richards, Carter and Kimmo (might as well add in Gags cause you seem to dont like him either) actually do things during games, might not be constantly, but for the most part they make things happen.
Only against the little sisters of the poor or teams that aren't world beaters. Match them up under pressure against a team with world class players like the Pens and it's Fail-o-Rama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Like I stated before, countlessly, Carcillo ONLY on the fourth line and Jones ONLY on the third pairing (with alot less money), I would be totally happy.
I understand that reasoning.

He played well last year and had a great playoffs. Maybe they paid him well because they saw him as a second pairing guy. He held his own quite nicely when Timonen and Coburn were out last Spring.

I think you need to note that Jones may have wound up as a overpaid third pairing guy because he was injured. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Earlier this year he fell down like five times in ten games and people here shouted: "SEE??? HE SUCKS SO BAD - HE FALLS DOWN!!!!" as if anyone can make it to the NHL with skating skills so poor that they trip over their own feet.

If you'd be happy with Jones "ONLY on the third pairing (with alot less money)", then you are an outlier here. For nearly everyone else it's a senseless jihad and it's stupid.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
  #55
twenty2
 
twenty2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Not to make excuses but we have one for Jones **** playing because he was "hurt". That being said why doesnt Carter get a pass? Since Jones got a pass for being hurt, why cant Carter? I do agree that Richards didnt look the best, but the argument of Kimmo only have one point, can be attributed to the fact that he was more worried about trying to shut down Crosby/Malkin then putting up points. He didnt do amazing at it, but he didnt do that bad of a job. Jones and Carcillo get picked on more because they really dont do anything. Please tell me what they bring to the table? (Dont say Carcillo and his meaness, because so far he hasnt shown much of that). Those both had good games, but the reason they get picked on more is because players like Richards, Carter and Kimmo (might as well add in Gags cause you seem to dont like him either) actually do things during games, might not be constantly, but for the most part they make things happen.


Like I stated before, countlessly, Carcillo ONLY on the fourth line and Jones ONLY on the third pairing (with alot less money), I would be totally happy.
Wrong. The reason Kimmo was almost a nonfactor is because game after game he was being attacked by Kunitz. The refs let Kunitz run free so to speak. I'm not saying it was dirty, but once again some missed calls were certainly questionable. Still there were a lot of huge legal hits on Timonen as well. It was obvious that the Penguins were game planning to stop him and literally beat the crap out of him.

He couldn't be effective because he was running for his life, and if any Flyer tried to protect him it meant the box no questions asked.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:54 PM
  #56
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Wrong. The reason Kimmo was almost a nonfactor is because game after game he was being attacked by Kunitz. The refs let Kunitz run free so to speak. I'm not saying it was dirty, but once again some missed calls were certainly questionable. Still there were a lot of huge legal hits on Timonen as well. It was obvious that the Penguins were game planning to stop him and literally beat the crap out of him.

He couldn't be effective because he was running for his life, and if any Flyer tried to protect him it meant the box no questions asked.
Which is why, slow of foot though they were, it was nice to have guys like Hatch and Smith back there. The Flyers really need to find some meanness on the back line this summer.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:33 PM
  #57
shamski7
Registered User
 
shamski7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shamski7
looks like they're finally trying to fix jones' child-bearing woman hips.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
  #58
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Who is giving Jones a pass for being hurt?

Didn't do that bad of a job???? At the end of the first round, Crosby and Malkin were atop the league in playoff scoring.

Only against the little sisters of the poor or teams that aren't world beaters. Match them up under pressure against a team with world class players like the Pens and it's Fail-o-Rama.

I understand that reasoning.

He played well last year and had a great playoffs. Maybe they paid him well because they saw him as a second pairing guy. He held his own quite nicely when Timonen and Coburn were out last Spring.

I think you need to note that Jones may have wound up as a overpaid third pairing guy because he was injured. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Earlier this year he fell down like five times in ten games and people here shouted: "SEE??? HE SUCKS SO BAD - HE FALLS DOWN!!!!" as if anyone can make it to the NHL with skating skills so poor that they trip over their own feet.

If you'd be happy with Jones "ONLY on the third pairing (with alot less money)", then you are an outlier here. For nearly everyone else it's a senseless jihad and it's stupid.
But you see, its not only people here. Go to other forums, go to the games. The guy sitting next to me was saying how Jones is horrible etc etc, and the people around him were agreeing (this was right before the game). The common misconception is that its only on hfboards where people dont like Jones, which is not true. I doubt everyone at the Flyers games go onto hfboards.

Theres something up when EVERYONE (except a few) see it.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
  #59
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
But you see, its not only people here. Go to other forums, go to the games. The guy sitting next to me was saying how Jones is horrible etc etc, and the people around him were agreeing (this was right before the game).
Those are the people who chant "Crosby Sucks!", thinking it intimidates him, right?

And those are the people who chant "Hey Ref You Suck!" to the chicken dance music and then complain that refs don't give the Flyers a fair shake.

Gee I am chagrined to know I am not among them in word and deed.

Flyers fans booed Paul Coffey. They booed Eric Desjardins. They booed Derian Hatcher.

Being disliked by Flyers fans is hardly a good indicator of whether or not one is a good hockey player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Theres something up when EVERYONE (except a few) see it.
I've never found the lemming lifestyle to be appealing, but if that's what blows your hair back, by all means - go for it.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:05 PM
  #60
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,417
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
It's all good.

But in reality, I think we should all find the underperformance of Richards, Carter, and Timonen to be far more disturbing and predictive of future fail than whatever Randy Jones did poorly in the series.

Those guys are supposed to carry the team.
So when we admonish Jones for being hurt, we're on a 'jihad' but when you admonish Richards who had been playing with a torn labrum most of the season as it turns out, and Timonen apparently played the whole playoffs with a concussion (not from Kunitz) that's not ok.

Yet another double standard.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
  #61
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Those are the people who chant "Crosby Sucks!", thinking it intimidates him, right?

And those are the people who chant "Hey Ref You Suck!" to the chicken dance music and then complain that refs don't give the Flyers a fair shake.

Gee I am chagrined to know I am not among them in word and deed.

Flyers fans booed Paul Coffey. They booed Eric Desjardins. They booed Derian Hatcher.

Being disliked by Flyers fans is hardly a good indicator of whether or not one is a good hockey player.

I've never found the lemming lifestyle to be appealing, but if that's what blows your hair back, by all means - go for it.
Thats what you do at games. You boo the ref and players. It gets the audience into the game. I bet the NHL encourages these sorts of things. I guess in a way it makes you feel like you are apart of the fanbase. Would you rather be at game where everyone is cheering, booing, and having a good time, or just sitting there quietly and watching it? I think we know what that answer is.


I dont base it just off of that. Before I was a common poster here, just by watching the games, Jones annoyed me. Just the way he plays annoys me. He doesnt hit big, so he is classified as a puck moving defenseman. Yet when he tries to pass the puck, he makes the most obvious giveaways. Also, within all this, which I dont think you can even disagree on, his skating is horrendous for a defender....

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:10 PM
  #62
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,895
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
well . . . looks like we are stuck with him until his contract runs out next season . . . thank god.
he can be waived

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
  #63
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Also, within all this, which I dont think you can even disagree on, his skating is horrendous for a defender....
Totally.

Of course, sometimes players who have hip injuries that require surgical repair tend to experience a slight decline in mobility...

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
  #64
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Totally.

Of course, sometimes players who have hip injuries that require surgical repair tend to experience a slight decline in mobility...
I meant, as long as he has been here. As for his hip, I noticed it in his speed more then him falling. He has always fell...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:31 PM
  #65
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Totally.

Of course, sometimes players who have hip injuries that require surgical repair tend to experience a slight decline in mobility...
But point per game players who require surgery on both shoulders get bashed because Crosby scored three points while he was on the ice? Give me a ****ing break.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
  #66
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
looks like they're finally trying to fix jones' child-bearing woman hips.
this deserves to be repeated. lol.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
  #67
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
But point per game players who require surgery on both shoulders get bashed because Crosby scored three points while he was on the ice? Give me a ****ing break.
And said player still laid out huge hits using his injured shoulders

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:00 PM
  #68
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I have to say, sometimes life can be less stressful by using the ignore list. Without using specific names, I think sometimes life can be better if you just use it. For example, there was this guy on Facebook who always popped up on my feed because he was constantly posting this political crap that I found stupid and didn't really agree with. So I recently just blocked his feed crap and now I've discovered that when I go to Facebook, my blood pressure stays down more.

So I've decided to apply the same approach here, as funny as some of the stuff that some people post is, I've gone back and forth on it, but I honestly think that some people's posts are just a total waste of time to read, so sometimes it's easier to just use it and not start a big argument that's pointless anyways.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
  #69
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I have to say, sometimes life can be less stressful by using the ignore list. Without using specific names, I think sometimes life can be better if you just use it. For example, there was this guy on Facebook who always popped up on my feed because he was constantly posting this political crap that I found stupid and didn't really agree with. So I recently just blocked his feed crap and now I've discovered that when I go to Facebook, my blood pressure stays down more.

So I've decided to apply the same approach here, as funny as some of the stuff that some people post is, I've gone back and forth on it, but I honestly think that some people's posts are just a total waste of time to read, so sometimes it's easier to just use it and not start a big argument that's pointless anyways.
I tried that same approach for a while, but since everyone just responds to him anyway it doesn't really help.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:06 PM
  #70
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I tried that same approach for a while, but since everyone just responds to him anyway it doesn't really help.
I did it as well, but you end up seeing the posts regardless and want to respond anyway.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
  #71
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I meant, as long as he has been here. As for his hip, I noticed it in his speed more then him falling. He has always fell...
An NHL defenseman, and he has always been prone to falling for no apparent reason?


JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
  #72
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I have to say, sometimes life can be less stressful by using the ignore list. Without using specific names, I think sometimes life can be better if you just use it. For example, there was this guy on Facebook who always popped up on my feed because he was constantly posting this political crap that I found stupid and didn't really agree with. So I recently just blocked his feed crap and now I've discovered that when I go to Facebook, my blood pressure stays down more.

So I've decided to apply the same approach here, as funny as some of the stuff that some people post is, I've gone back and forth on it, but I honestly think that some people's posts are just a total waste of time to read, so sometimes it's easier to just use it and not start a big argument that's pointless anyways.
That part made me laugh. Of course, my own self bias puts me away from that group. But I've been at the point for a while where I read so much of it and just go, "this is stupid," and move on. It still makes me laugh.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:10 PM
  #73
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Yep.

As for this whole falling debate.... Malkin falls down for no apparent reason more than anyone I've ever seen. I guess he's not good enough for the NHL either.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
  #74
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I really starting to think these sleepovers aren't just a 2 person sleep over. But more along the lines of a 3-way, with someone from these boards

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
  #75
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Yep.

As for this whole falling debate.... Malkin falls down for no apparent reason more than anyone I've ever seen. I guess he's not good enough for the NHL either.
I will never forget the "hook" Staal drew this past series when he was at the halfboards, got a stick right up his legs real quick, the stick comes out and continues to go on with the play, and then he falls.

Makes me seethe.

Anyway...now back to the thread...

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.