HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund's at it again!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
  #51
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Fine if Bob goes for JBo, although highly unlikely to lead anywhere, if it were to happen, I don't think the Habs would trade Markov. I think they would rather trade Hamrlik for a 2nd pick (or a first pick, if Bob can do it).

But the more I think about it, the more I feel we shouldn't try to get Lecavalier. There are so many teams who will be looking to unload a top centerman in the next two years, you think of Pittsburg who will ultimately have to make a choice of keeping only two of Malkin, Crosby and Staal, Philly who will have to unload one of Richards, Carter or Brière, New York who might wanna get rid of one of Drury or Gomez (although the Naslund retirement will help them cap wise), San Jose who might unload one of Thornton or Marleau, Boston who might have to chose two between Krejci, Bergeron and Savard. Many of these players would be as effective as Lecavalier, but without the long torturous contract.

Out of them, I would specifically target Jordan Staal, as he'd probably cost less assets-wise, is younger than most that I named, has potential, without the career numbers to raise his price, and is already signed at close to 4 mil (if I remember correctly), and he's big and quick, and would probably fit well with AKost and Higgins or others on the team.
Krejci probably won't be commanding the big $'s until Savard's contract runs out, Philly will part with guys like Knuble and Jones before dealing Briere, and even if Briere gets moved I doubt it's to Montreal and I only have moderate interest in him anyways. The Rangers they have two high priced Dmen they can look to move, and the money freed up with Naslund's retirement will ease the cap crunch for now.

I think it really comes down to between Thornton/Marleau and Lecavalier. Which between them would I prefer? It's very hard to tell. I'd take Lecavalier over Marleau, but Thornton over Lecavalier. Obviously the return demanded comes into play.

As for Staal, I don't like that extension he got. It really handcuffs you when it comes to his next qualifying offer and I don't think the Pens would settle for less than a 1st rounder and a decent prospect which is still rather pricey. I do think we need to also keep in mind how young this team is, and how valuable a legitimate star with veteran status (albeit not too old) like Thornton/Lecavalier could be, especially considering that we're likely to get even younger this offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The Habs cannot beat the Antigonish Bulldogs without Markov...so, obviously we need to keep him for another 5-7 years...wouldn't mind adding J-bo and letting Komi walk....as for Vinny, it just seems like he is destined to be traded by Tampa, but I am not too sure as to where...could be the Leafs and not the Habs guys...possibly...
I've heard word that Lecavalier could be a Leaf come training camp, so you're not far off base.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
  #52
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears
 
Saint Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabsgo2001 View Post
Krejci probably won't be commanding the big $'s until Savard's contract runs out, Philly will part with guys like Knuble and Jones before dealing Briere, and even if Briere gets moved I doubt it's to Montreal and I only have moderate interest in him anyways. The Rangers they have two high priced Dmen they can look to move, and the money freed up with Naslund's retirement will ease the cap crunch for now.

I think it really comes down to between Thornton/Marleau and Lecavalier. Which between them would I prefer? It's very hard to tell. I'd take Lecavalier over Marleau, but Thornton over Lecavalier. Obviously the return demanded comes into play.

As for Staal, I don't like that extension he got. It really handcuffs you when it comes to his next qualifying offer and I don't think the Pens would settle for less than a 1st rounder and a decent prospect which is still rather pricey. I do think we need to also keep in mind how young this team is, and how valuable a legitimate star with veteran status (albeit not too old) like Thornton/Lecavalier could be, especially considering that we're likely to get even younger this offseason.



I've heard word that Lecavalier could be a Leaf come training camp, so you're not far off base
.
Can you imagine the media backlash if he signs with the leafs??

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
  #53
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The Habs cannot beat the Antigonish Bulldogs without Markov...so, obviously we need to keep him for another 5-7 years...wouldn't mind adding J-bo and letting Komi walk....as for Vinny, it just seems like he is destined to be traded by Tampa, but I am not too sure as to where...could be the Leafs and not the Habs guys...possibly...
Gainey needs to get this trade done. Vinny can pass, score, check, fight. He can do it all. The big gamebreaking center we've been dying for since Bobby Smith.

No more excuses please. Get ur done Bob. Nap time is over.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
  #54
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Gainey needs to get this trade done. Vinny can pass, score, check, fight. He can do it all. The big gamebreaking center we've been dying for since Bobby Smith.

No more excuses please. Get ur done Bob. Nap time is over.
You could be right, I am not a big fan of VL's contract, but as long as it's not Markov going the other way, I guess VL joining the Habs would be something I could warm up to...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
  #55
marc88
Registered User
 
marc88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Canada
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
I'd be happy with either J bo or Markov...J bo has the same stats that Markov had at his age..he will either be equal or better in the future IMO

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM
  #56
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabsgo2001 View Post
Krejci probably won't be commanding the big $'s until Savard's contract runs out, Philly will part with guys like Knuble and Jones before dealing Briere, and even if Briere gets moved I doubt it's to Montreal and I only have moderate interest in him anyways. The Rangers they have two high priced Dmen they can look to move, and the money freed up with Naslund's retirement will ease the cap crunch for now.

I think it really comes down to between Thornton/Marleau and Lecavalier. Which between them would I prefer? It's very hard to tell. I'd take Lecavalier over Marleau, but Thornton over Lecavalier. Obviously the return demanded comes into play.

As for Staal, I don't like that extension he got. It really handcuffs you when it comes to his next qualifying offer and I don't think the Pens would settle for less than a 1st rounder and a decent prospect which is still rather pricey. I do think we need to also keep in mind how young this team is, and how valuable a legitimate star with veteran status (albeit not too old) like Thornton/Lecavalier could be, especially considering that we're likely to get even younger this offseason.



I've heard word that Lecavalier could be a Leaf come training camp, so you're not far off base.

Just curious but where did you hear this? Media? Friend of a friend type thing?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
  #57
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothlessgrin View Post
Eklund mentionned several times during the summer that Montréal would go after Lang if they failed to sign Sundin.

Here is one, dated August 22:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16541

Habs got him in September.

Not a big fan of Eklund, but I think some of his stuff is legit.

There were rumours of Tanguay to Montréal for awhile before he was traded here last summer too.
those rumors were like 7 years old though. Anytime there is a decent francophone on the market he is rumoures to montreal.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:07 PM
  #58
DiXEN8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
why some people prefer markov over Jaybo?
why the **** would Gainey trade Markov for Vinny?

Even if we have JayBo, Markov's our general and he'll finish his career in montreal. Anyway, when he signed he told the media that he didn't care about the 29 other teams... if he don't play here he'll just go back in russia.

A winning team is built from "behind"... just look Anaheim's playoff run, Niedermeyer Pronger Whitney and Beauchemin are awesome I wouldn't trade Markov for Vinny straight up.

DiXEN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
  #59
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
I am all for acquiring a guy like J-Bo.... as long as its not to get rid of Markov. To me J-Bo is an upgrade over komisarek. We get J-Bo's rigths and then negociate with kimisarek.

J-Bo - Komisarek
Markov - Obyrne
Hammerlik - Georges/Weber

To me our weakest point is the defense... Perhaps some of you will say Obyrne is not top 4 material, we need to be patient with this guy... the playoff stint this year reminded me of how usefull he can be. With proper coaching he can progress like Komisarek did, and Markov is the best guy to help him raech his potential.

i would rather resign Koivu and acquire J-Bo then trade for lecavalier...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:47 AM
  #60
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
are mods allowed to insult Eklund but we're not? I got an infraction for it before.

All Ek threads should be removed imo, he's obviously not a "source". My cats have a better success rate than he does.
It's ok...mods are also allowed to love Lucic

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 03:03 AM
  #61
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'd keep Markov over Jaybo.

I don't want Vinny if it's at the detriment of Markov.
I prefer Markov to Jay Bo but I prefer Vinny + Jay Bo to Markov.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
  #62
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Just curious but where did you hear this? Media? Friend of a friend type thing?
I also heard it on Toronto radio, it was more speculation than anything else though.

The rumour was that the deal Burke made with Tampa at the trade deadline was a hint at things to come. The Leafs have a lot of cap room, Tampa has money problems - I still don't think that the Leafs have enough assets to pull off a deal like that though, but I don't trust Burke.

It was mostly speculation by Toronto media from what I personally heard, but I'm not sure what sheed36 heard.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:56 AM
  #63
habsrock76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I'm glad Eklund exists because I love rumors. Basically the reason we're all here.

I absoultely agree, I dont understand why people get all upset, take it for what its worth. It generates discussion and to be honest it would be pretty boring in the summer without him.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
  #64
habsrock76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiXEN8 View Post
why some people prefer markov over Jaybo?
why the **** would Gainey trade Markov for Vinny?

Even if we have JayBo, Markov's our general and he'll finish his career in montreal. Anyway, when he signed he told the media that he didn't care about the 29 other teams... if he don't play here he'll just go back in russia.

A winning team is built from "behind"... just look Anaheim's playoff run, Niedermeyer Pronger Whitney and Beauchemin are awesome I wouldn't trade Markov for Vinny straight up.
Agreed all the good teams are built from the goalie out, unfortuantely our D core is abysmal and probably been overated on these boards for awhile. Markov & Gorges are the only keepers (not mentioning prospects).

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:19 AM
  #65
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I prefer Markov to Jay Bo but I prefer Vinny + Jay Bo to Markov.
Thats not how it would supposedly go though, its not only Markov we'd be losing.

The habs have to trade for J-Bo's rights, so if he were to sign here we'd have to give up player(s) for him.
And its not Markov straight up for Vinny, there would be more going Tampa's way.

So it may end up being something like:
Subban or McDonagh could be going Florida's way if J-Bo were to sign here.
Markov, Plekanec and Higgins would go Tampa's way for Vinny.

I don't like it..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
  #66
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
well APPARENTLY, the Habs are trying to get jaybos rights, so we could trade markov and co for Vinny, also there's a lot of interest in komi as of now

Eklund at it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Option/1/21064
Gainey did get Sundin's rights to do contract talks, so it isn't out of the ordinary or even too bizarre really.

I'd rather have JBO over Kommy.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
  #67
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Gainey did get Sundin's rights to do contract talks, so it isn't out of the ordinary or even too bizarre really.

I'd rather have JBO over Kommy.
What I would love to see is us signing Bouwmeester long term,resign Komisarek and get rid of Hamrlik's contract I hate it!

Bouwmeester something around 7 million,Komi at around 4.25 and get rid of the 5.5 of Hamrlik

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
  #68
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Markov > Jay Bo

Vinny Lecavalier : Good but overrated IMO...

I sincerely hope the Habs are not considering this for real.
As much as I love Markov, we would be a better team with JBo and Vinny than with Markov...however, I think the cap hit would end up at 16 mil and we would lose picks and young players(I'm sure TB would require at least a 1st plus a young player along with Markov knowing the Habs want the home town hero).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
  #69
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
What I would love to see is us signing Bouwmeester long term,resign Komisarek and get rid of Hamrlik's contract I hate it!

Bouwmeester something around 7 million,Komi at around 4.25 and get rid of the 5.5 of Hamrlik
Why do you hate Hamrlik's contract? You're not paying it and it has not sopped us from adding anybody we wanted. If we needed cap room Dandenault could have been moved out but we never needed it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
  #70
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why do you hate Hamrlik's contract? You're not paying it and it has not sopped us from adding anybody we wanted. If we needed cap room Dandenault could have been moved out but we never needed it.
I know I don't pay it,I would have never offered Hamrlik a crazy contract like that.I just think with that cap hit of 5.5 we can do much better with it,and like I said if we could somehow get Bouwmeester signed I want Komi resigned and what happens to Hamrlik I really don't care

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
  #71
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Thats not how it would supposedly go though, its not only Markov we'd be losing.

The habs have to trade for J-Bo's rights, so if he were to sign here we'd have to give up player(s) for him.
And its not Markov straight up for Vinny, there would be more going Tampa's way.

So it may end up being something like:
Subban or McDonagh could be going Florida's way if J-Bo were to sign here.
Markov, Plekanec and Higgins would go Tampa's way for Vinny.

I don't like it..
If Tampa wouldn't want to do Lecavalier for Markov straight up, they can go to hell. If they absolutely want something added, it will be a second level prospect like Carle or D'Agostini.

You are hugely underating Markov.


And the rights to sign J-Bo wouldn't cost THAT much. His value is absolutely LOW right now having his contract finished in less than two months. It would probably be no more than a 2nd rounder.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
  #72
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I know I don't pay it,I would have never offered Hamrlik a crazy contract like that.I just think with that cap hit of 5.5 we can do much better with it,and like I said if we could somehow get Bouwmeester signed I want Komi resigned and what happens to Hamrlik I really don't care
See that's the problem, Gainey had to overpay to get Hammer here, it was a must that Gainey get someone for the top 4 and he had to overpay to do it. The sad thing is, that Hammer is one of the best UFA's the club has been able to land in some time. Yet it doesn't stop people from saying well if we can get JayBo.... How the hell can we get JayBo when we haven't been able to land a top notch UFA in over a decade. I know you said if we could somehow get JayBo so I'm not directing this at you, just overall on the board.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:14 PM
  #73
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I also heard it on Toronto radio, it was more speculation than anything else though.

The rumour was that the deal Burke made with Tampa at the trade deadline was a hint at things to come. The Leafs have a lot of cap room, Tampa has money problems - I still don't think that the Leafs have enough assets to pull off a deal like that though, but I don't trust Burke.

It was mostly speculation by Toronto media from what I personally heard, but I'm not sure what sheed36 heard.
Lecavalier in a Leafs jersey? lol forget it, Lecavalier will never accept to be traded there, we play them 6 times a year, Vinny would be booed like crazy 6 times per year.. Also, like you said, Leafs dont have the asset to land Lecavalier, they have 1 kid with some real value, Luke Schenn, and Burke made it public that he was their only untouchable so..

Personally I think its between MTL and L.A.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:25 PM
  #74
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Lecavalier in a Leafs jersey? lol forget it, Lecavalier will never accept to be traded there, we play them 6 times a year, Vinny would be booed like crazy 6 times per year.. Also, like you said, Leafs dont have the asset to land Lecavalier, they have 1 kid with some real value, Luke Schenn, and Burke made it public that he was their only untouchable so..

Personally I think its between MTL and L.A.
Unless Lawton gets fired there's a greater chance of Vinny ending up in Toronto than Montreal.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
  #75
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabsgo2001 View Post
Unless Lawton gets fired there's a greater chance of Vinny ending up in Toronto than Montreal.
There is no chance for either, well actually, Montreal still has more chances. Lawton assured Lecavalier that he could provide a list of teams if ever he's traded (whether before or after July 1st, when his NTC kicks in), and Lecavalier knows he would be killing ANY endorsement deals he would have in Quebec if he ever put Toronto on that list and ended up with them. He would also have to endure the Montreal crowd booing him 3 times per year, and that's without the playoffs.

The Lecavalier to Toronto rumour is 100 times more ridiculous than the one landing him in Montreal.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.