HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes Financial Situation aka Show Me the Money Thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
CitizenCoyote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pck21 View Post
Systems may not be updated just yet. Check back as late as 4:30pm.
The Bankruptcy court's online docket shows two cases filed yesterday for Coyotes Holdings, LLC. 09-BK-09491-CGC and 09-BK-09500-RJH.

The initials at the end of the case nos. tell you the judges. CGC is Charles Case and RJH is Randy Haines. The lower numbered case would have been the first filed. Not sure why there are two.

Old
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
08Neely
Blades of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
How spoiled are you East Valley folks? Come on.. Try living somewhere where you need to ride a freaking subway or light rail for 45 minutes to get to games.. or driving through ice and snow..

It takes 45 minutes!!

The only thing i'll concede is that games start too early.. 7pm?? That's no good. 8pm would help commuters greatly
Spoiled isn't quite the term I would use.
Try that drive from southeast Gilbert to the Stadium 40+ times a year and talk to me.

I lived in Massachusetts for 30+ years and used to ride the T into the Garden all the time for B's games. I would take that 40 min train ride all day and twice on Sunday over that drive on the I-10.

Too bad they didn't put this Arena where Tempe Marketplace is....that alone might have been enough for a 5-10% boost of attendance.

Old
05-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
The whole arena location issue is so overblown and overused. Granted, I'm located just a minute off the 101 in scottsdale, but its only 35-45 minutes to my seat. With parking as a STH, I'm a minute or 2 from the door of the arena and my seat. It only takes minimal planning to avoid the worst traffic, and it only took over an hour to get out there once, and that's because of accidents on the 101.
I couldn't agree more! btw...the scenario I described above isn't even from a STH perspective, that's just normal parking!

Old
05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
The Bankruptcy court's online docket shows two cases filed yesterday for Coyotes Holdings, LLC. 09-BK-09491-CGC and 09-BK-09500-RJH.

The initials at the end of the case nos. tell you the judges. CGC is Charles Case and RJH is Randy Haines. The lower numbered case would have been the first filed. Not sure why there are two.
Times and place?

Old
05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'm not sure how you miss them but I'd venture to say %90 of Coyote games are on TV. Most games are on FSN Arizona or CW6.
Oh how I wish it was so. It's only 74%. I rant about non televised games A LOT. I even complain to my ticket rep almost every time I talk to him.

My post from early this year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Non televised home:12
nov 1
nov 28
dec 2
dec 20
jan 2
jan 8
feb 14
feb 19
mar 14
mar 21
apr 2
apr 7

Non tele road games: 9
oc 18
nov 12
dec 7
dec 22
jan 4
jan15
feb 21
mar 12
apr 1

Old
05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Neely View Post
Try that drive from southeast Gilbert to the Stadium 40+ times a year and talk to me.

I lived in Massachusetts for 30+ years and used to ride the T into the Garden all the time for B's games. I would take that 40 min train ride all day and twice on Sunday over that drive on the I-10.

Too bad they didn't put this Arena where Tempe Marketplace is....that alone might have been enough for a 5-10% boost of attendance.
And you'd lose the 5-10% from the West Side. It's a wash. You're just accomodating one set of fans at the expense of another.

Don't take the 10. It's faster to take the 101 around, believe it or not. Trust me, I drive to and from Gilbert from Peoria all the time for work.

I used to live in Nashua and driving down for Bruins and Red Sox games - never mind Patriots games - makes the trip from Gilbert to the Job look like child's play. Do you remember what the weather did to the Mass Pike and the other freeways? Even a light snow turned my 30 minute commute from Nashua to my job in Watertown into a 3-hour affair. No sir, I have no pity for Gilbertonians and their "commute challenges" at all...

Old
05-06-2009, 04:46 PM
indczn

Quote:
I couldn't agree more! btw...the scenario I described above isn't even from a STH perspective, that's just normal parking!
I know. Even when its a full building, we can stay to the end of the game, cheer the 3 stars, and be out on the freeway without waiting in line.

Old
05-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
I'm not sure how you miss them but I'd venture to say %90 of Coyote games are on TV. Most games are on FSN Arizona or CW6.
I'd say it's less than that. Bottom line is, Phoenix should have its own sports network, and ALL Coyotes games should be broadcasted in HD.. Plain and simple.

Old
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Jake16

Isn't the best argument that the only asset that Coyotes own that can be sold in the bankrupcy process is the right to operate an NHL franchise in Phoenix. That is the only asset the bankruptcy court /trustee currently has to sell and has to worry about getting top dollar for to protect creditors. The Coyotes do not currently own the right to operate an NHL team in whatever market they desire to put it. That is a completely different asset. And that is the only asset Balsillie has offered to buy. To "convert" the Coyotes' current asset (which Balsillie has not offered to buy and does not want) into the asset Balsillie has actually offered to purchase requires a bunch of intermediate legal steps and processes (i.e league approval to move to Ontario). But since that has not occured, and it now remains unclear if Moyes even has standing to make the request to the league (perhaps the bankrupcy trustee can), that may be difficult to do - especially on the expediated schedule Balsillie and Moyes desire (by June 30/09).

Plus, isn't a second team in the greater Toronto area worth a hell of a lot more than $212.5M??? I'm fairly certain if the league put out a press release saying they would accept bids on a expansion team to be in S. Ontario, they would seek and get a lot more than $212.5. (Tampa sold last year for close to that - A team in Toronto isn't worth more than a team in Tampa??? Come on). So essentially by this ploy, Balsillie and Moyes really undercut the league (and the other owners) of that prospective revenue.

Isn't the league better off saying it will promptly put an expansion team in S. Ontario (as soon as a suitable arena can be built), let Balsillie bid on it (with a bunch of other likely bidders) and reap maybe $300M plus expansion fee for the league and the other owners. Balsillie's and Moyes' way, the league and 29 other owners get $0.

Finally, as secured creditors the NHL and the Dell Hedge Fund get paid in full anyway with Reinsdorf's say $120M offer. Its only the unsecured creditor - Moyes who loses. But I'm not sure the league gives a rats ass about him anymore after going behind their back the way he did.

Last edited by Jake16: 05-06-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I'd say it's less than that. Bottom line is, Phoenix should have its own sports network, and ALL Coyotes games should be broadcasted in HD.. Plain and simple.
The sad thing is I didnt get to see 1 game in HD on tv brodcast by the coyotes this year, due to either Thursday obligations or being at the game. The coverage of the team in this city is horrible and it encompasses all forms of media. But, this is nothing new...

Old
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Dont forget about the number of games where we were preempted for reruns of Frasier on AZ TV.

Old
05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Isn't the best argument that the only asset that Coyotes own that can be sold in the bankrupcy process is the right to operate an NHL franchise in Phoenix. That is the only asset the bankruptcy court /trustee currently has to sell and has to worry about getting top dollar for to protect creditors. The Coyotes do not currently own the right to operate an NHL team in whatever market they desire to put it. That is a completely different asset. And that is the only asset Balsillie has offered to buy. To "convert" the Coyotes' current asset (which Balsillie has not offered to buy and does not want) into the asset Balsillie has actually offered to purchase requires a bunch of intermediate legal steps and processes (i.e league approval to move to Ontario). But since that has not occured, and it now remains unclear if Moyes even has standing to make the request to the league (perhaps the bankrupcy trustee can), that may be difficult to do - especially on the expediated schedule Balsillie and Moyes desire (by June 30/09).

Plus, isn't a second team in the greater Toronto area worth a hell of a lot more than $212.5M??? I'm fairly certain if the league put out a press release saying they would accept bids on a expansion team to be in S. Ontario, they would seek and get a lot more than $212.5. So by this ploy, Balsillie and Moyes really undercut the league (and the other owners) of that prospective revenue.

Isn't the league better off saying the will put an expansion team in S. Ontario, let Balsillie bid on it (with a bunch of other likely bidders) and reap maybe 300M expansion fee for the league and the other owners. Balsillie's and Moyes' way, they get $0.

Finally, as secured creditors the NHL and the Dell Hedge Fund get paid in full anyway with Reinsdorf's say $120M offer. Its the unsecured creditor - Moyes who loses. But I'm not sure the league gives a rats ass about him anymore after going behind their back the way he did.
Bob McKenzie was saying this on NHL home ice on XM, and its a very important point. A franchise in phoenix is definitely not the same as one in Ontario, but this is what lawyers are for.

Old
05-06-2009, 05:15 PM
RR

Quote:
I'm in Cave Creek and have to travel 10 miles down Cave Creek Road just to get to the 101, where I join the commuters heading home to the West Valley and begin the crawl west on the 101. Still, just 45 minutes from pulling out of my driveway to sitting in my seat. Location of the arena doesn't mean s***! A competitive team in the playoff hunt every year is all that matters. And if we somehow get to keep this team and new ownership makes the commitment to compete each season, we better not blow it.

Old
05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
...Isn't the league better off saying it will promptly put an expansion team in S. Ontario (as soon as a suitable arena can be built), let Balsillie bid on it (with a bunch of other likely bidders) and reap maybe $300M plus expansion fee for the league and the other owners....
Better yet, offer Balsillie the right-of-first-refusal for that expansion team in exchange for him withdrawing his offer on the Coyotes. Balsillie doesn't give a crap about Moyes or the Coyotes. He just wants a team in Southern Ontario.

Old
05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Reaching post limit, new thread started:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=640041

Old
05-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Neely View Post

So how about going to 10 games, and make 5 of those games weekend games?

Yeah, let's put the arena in Tempe to appease all those hardcore ASU students who are such big hockey fans & the people who live in Gilbert, Chandler, & Mesa.

It takes twice as long to drive from downtown to Tempe Marketplace as it does from downtown to jobing.com arena.

waaaah, is all I hear....listen you can hear it

Closed Thread