HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Gary Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2004, 08:01 AM
  #1
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Gary Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog

I heard Gary Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog last nite. It sure seems the owners are serious about not playing until they get the Cap. If I am Goodenow, I cave and look to get the best deal possible.

free0717 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 08:37 AM
  #2
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
I heard Gary Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog last nite. It sure seems the owners are serious about not playing until they get the Cap. If I am Goodenow, I cave and look to get the best deal possible.
By "caving" you're not going to get the best deal possible.

Also in the past the owners have always "caved" first ... why should the players believe that this time will be any different.

It's still very early, everyone is talking tough at the moment, that won't necessarily be the case come December/January.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 09:31 AM
  #3
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
By "caving" you're not going to get the best deal possible.

Also in the past the owners have always "caved" first ... why should the players believe that this time will be any different.

It's still very early, everyone is talking tough at the moment, that won't necessarily be the case come December/January.
I dont believe it, I think this time the owners are serious. I think they would disband the NHL before going on with the CBA the way it is. Personally, I think the Players structure would work if the tax threshold was low enough and the tax was severe enough but believe me, this is more than tough talk. The Owners wont cave until they get the CBA they want.

free0717 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 09:46 AM
  #4
balddog66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
I've been optimistic the whole time, but things better start happening within the next week, October 1st is sort of unofficially the last day that a deal can happen and not interfere with the start of the regular season...training camp and preseason can still be reduced...(both sides know this)

balddog66 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:04 AM
  #5
OlliMackBjugStud
Registered User
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
I dont believe it, I think this time the owners are serious. I think they would disband the NHL before going on with the CBA the way it is. Personally, I think the Players structure would work if the tax threshold was low enough and the tax was severe enough but believe me, this is more than tough talk. The Owners wont cave until they get the CBA they want.
so why wont the owners negotiate that with the players instead of killing hockey ?

dr

OlliMackBjugStud is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:50 AM
  #6
Biggest Canuck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 10,452
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
so why wont the owners negotiate that with the players instead of killing hockey ?

dr
Because the players feel that they will not do any dealing unless there is no cap.

The NHL should just accept the players deal, then by themselves create a large book called "running an NHL francise properly." In this book the NHL fines a team for exceeding its standards set in wages paid, revenues... basically create a cap without officially having one.

Then if the players whine, all the NHL has to say is: "We are being fiscally responsible like you told us."

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:55 AM
  #7
OlliMackBjugStud
Registered User
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Because the players feel that they will not do any dealing unless there is no cap.

The NHL should just accept the players deal, then by themselves create a large book called "running an NHL francise properly." In this book the NHL fines a team for exceeding its standards set in wages paid, revenues... basically create a cap without officially having one.

Then if the players whine, all the NHL has to say is: "We are being fiscally responsible like you told us."
as long as its not collusion.

dr

OlliMackBjugStud is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 11:06 AM
  #8
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Because the players feel that they will not do any dealing unless there is no cap.

The NHL should just accept the players deal, then by themselves create a large book called "running an NHL francise properly." In this book the NHL fines a team for exceeding its standards set in wages paid, revenues... basically create a cap without officially having one.

Then if the players whine, all the NHL has to say is: "We are being fiscally responsible like you told us."

Thats the thing, why should the players have to save the owners from themselves? There is no rule that says the owners have to pay 75% of thier revenues to the players. There is no rule that says the owners have to go into the red when paying these players. IMO there is no excuse for losing the amount of money the NHL claims. We've all seen there was a problem for the last 4 or 5 years, yet not one owner has donr a damn thing about it. The Kings President came out and said they've lost 200 million dollars in 10 years. How comes the owner has done nothing about it? The Canes owner said he lost between 12-16 million dollars a year for the last ten year but hasn't done anything about it.

(edit, both links to the kings and canes claims are already posted on this board in two different threads)

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 09:07 PM
  #9
190Octane
Registered User
 
190Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,697
vCash: 500
Fans don't want to hear about fiscal responsibility, they want results.

How often do you hear a fan bragging about his teams fiscal responsibility?

190Octane is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 09:14 PM
  #10
Optimist*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 676
vCash: 500
The union says that all the owners have to do is be fiscally responsable, but when they want an agreement that shows their fiscally responsable, you don't here the union being to happy about it. What a charade.

Optimist* is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:17 PM
  #11
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
[Q*OTE=eti*ket]The *nion says that all the owners have to do is be fis*ally responsable, b*t when they want an agreement that shows their fis*ally responsable, yo* don't here the *nion being to happy abo*t it. What a *harade.[/Q*OTE]

Im not gonna say who is right or wrong, All that I am saying is the players better get ba*k to the table ASAP be*a*se all they are going to lose is pay. The owners are serio*s and not going to *ave. Most fran*hises lose less money d*ring the lo*ko*t than playing. I j*st think if the players dont get ba*k to the table, they are j*st going to lose salary. The owners are not ba*king off.

free0717 is offline  
Old
09-25-2004, 12:52 PM
  #12
NJD Jester
Registered User
 
NJD Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog...

...what, did they want to know if the lockout had any effect on the Yankees' bullpen?

NJD Jester is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.