HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petrov: Signed in Russia for 3 more years,

Old
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Forty Six and Two

vCash: 500
Petrov: Signed in Russia for 3 more years,

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...ong-way-to-go/

As confirmed by multiple sources to Point Blank, Petrov just completed the first season of a four-year contract with Ak Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League in Russia. Without an agreement between the NHL and the Russian Ice Hockey Federation, the chances of Petrov getting out of the contract are slim

Forty Six and Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Now, was he the one who was supposed to be drafted really early and a lot of teams passed over him for fear of him staying in Russia?

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:09 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
Now, was he the one who was supposed to be drafted really early and a lot of teams passed over him for fear of him staying in Russia?
Bingo.

Good move by Garth taking him though. It was a low risk, high reward move. But the risk hasn't been taken yet.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:09 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Yes.He was considered to be the 2nd most talented euro in the draft,behind Filatov.

Teams knew he was signed to a multi yr deal and were scared off,which was why the isles could gamble with a 3rd rounder on the 18 yr old.

He struggled in the KHL and ended the season in a lower league.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Sneekypete

Well atleast he will be NHL ready if he ever decides to cross the pond. He was a first round talent that did not go till mid 3rd and now everyone knows why. Also he will be 22 or 23 years old when his contract runs out in Russia not quite over the hill.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Whoever advised Petrov to sign that contract was an idiot in the first place. Petrov knew he would be drafted, so why sign a 4 year deal?

He would really help our immediate issue of lack of on ice talent.. and him being on the team in the fall could help him grow with the current players.

With that said, would you guys be in favour of the young man jetting his country? It'd be breaking the rules. but if Radulov had the balls to bail on Nashville.. I don't see why Petrov can't bail on his KHL team.

I'm not saying I'd endorse such behaviour, but you won't see me care(much at all) if Petrov was to flee.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Whoever advised Petrov to sign that contract was an idiot in the first place. Petrov knew he would be drafted, so why sign a 4 year deal?

He would really help our immediate issue of lack of on ice talent.. and him being on the team in the fall could help him grow with the current players.

With that said, would you guys be in favour of the young man jetting his country? It'd be breaking the rules. but if Radulov had the balls to bail on Nashville.. I don't see why Petrov can't bail on his KHL team.

I'm not saying I'd endorse such behaviour, but you won't see me care(much at all) if Petrov was to flee.

Well, if he is making a million per year as an 18 year old, I can't say I would be refusing that kind of scratch.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Belarus

Petrov comes in right when we're in Stanley Cup finals
Seriously though, it's a bummer. 3 freaking years!? Botta is right, probably the surest chance to see him in Isles uni sooner than later is if he plays bad in Russia. Don't see this happening. I'm afraid if he really improves his game, AK Bars offers him a new contract nowhere near NHL's rookie can get. I guess it's all about how bad he wants to play in the NHL, not how bad we want him.

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:24 PM
BennyBST

I still wish we selected Grachev instead..

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
CodeE

Hopefully, he'll eventually want to come play in the NHL. In 4 years, with Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, etc. in their primes, who knows, maybe he could be the final piece of the puzzle.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post

The thing is with out that stupid contract, Petrov does not make it out of the first round most likely. If he had not been all ready under contract in Russia, I wonder if Snow maybe takes him at 5 instead of trading down?

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
DPSNAGS

the main thing to watch is if he comes to prospect camp over the summer or meet with the isles officials over the summer...that will show a commitment to the organization and would be a good sign

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
pld459666

with the KHL not honoring NHL contracts, why should the NHL honor KHL contracts?

If the kid wants to come over, Snow should be doing everything he can to entice the kid.

F the KHL

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
with the KHL not honoring NHL contracts, why should the NHL honor KHL contracts?

If the kid wants to come over, Snow should be doing everything he can to entice the kid.

F the KHL
My point exactly, as shallow as it is.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Question for the old timers, how was this sort of thing handled when the WHA popped up?

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Belarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

F the KHL
One thing when russian citizen says F-word to the NHL and goes back HOME where he could care less about Bettman's barking. It's a whole different story when russian breaks russian contract. He is going to come back to Russia eventually. You know what I mean. If you want Chris Simon, go ahead and sign him up even if he has 10-year contract in Russia. You just can't do the same to a russian player.

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Question for the old timers, how was this sort of thing handled when the WHA popped up?

The NHL and WHA respected each other's contracts. There was no transfer agreement. They poached from each other a lot, but not with guys that were under contract.

05-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
I doubt he ever comes over, but if he did he is still 3 years away from being NHL ready most likely. So this isn't a big deal in terms of development, but it is in terms of him coming over.

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Isles Junkie

I didn't read this whole thread. but in the comments section on IPB, Botta posted that the Isles will retain the rights to sign him after his contract is up.

If he ever develops & is ready to step in in 4 years then it'll be great. hopefully by then the Isles will be a consistent playoff contender.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Forty Six and Two

AGENT: PETROV DETERMINED TO BE AN ISLANDER

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...p-this-summer/

The agent for low-risk, high-reward draft pick Kirill Petrov says his client has every intention of joining the New York Islanders “when the time is right.”

Forty Six and Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Six and Two View Post

The agent for low-risk, high-reward draft pick Kirill Petrov says his client has every intention of joining the New York Islanders “when the time is right.”
This is good news...glad to read that

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Good to know, I was wondering about him. So he wants to come over but he can't, for at least 3 more years. Woo-hoo.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
heatedskates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Six and Two View Post

It was a super pick/risk by Snow and will pay off down the road. Cut his teeth against good talent over in Russia and when he gets to town he will be ready to step right in and help the club.

heatedskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I just wish he weren't signed with Kazan.

It's a club that plays for the championship almost every season and they're not really known for developing players because they are too busy filling the roster with established players.

I'd feel much better if he were playing with one of those teams where he'd be given a good portion of playing time more or less based on need to fill out the line-up (perhaps affordably).

Then again, if he does manage to make himself a lock on the team, he'd be developing in a winning atmosphere.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 01:43 AM
OlTimeHockey

Islander fans:

Kyrill Petrov will not be rushed, will not have too much pressure placed upon him, will have three years of solid development and monitoring by the parent club much like the Detroit Red Wings demand be done to ensure the finest level of play of anyone breaking into their lineup.

And there's nothing Garth, Charlie, Milbury or anyone can do to ruin this grand idea.

Quote:
It's a club that plays for the championship almost every season and they're not really known for developing players because they are too busy filling the roster with established players.
Kinda like Detroit, who starved Lebda, Kronwall, Fischer, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Abdulcator, etc., etc., etc.....all those young guys suffering and not developing behind the likes of Federov, Yzerman, Shanihan, Hull, etc., etc., etc......poor kids.

I think you get my point or perhaps you can look at their output compared to our dynamic youth.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote