HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Around Hockey III (All Non-Jackets related NHL/Hockey Talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet View Post
The elbow to the head was bad. The puck to the ribs put him in the hospital, but the elbow to the chops should have been called. When he was on the stretcher, he was spitting blood (which was from the elbow).
Quote:
Following the game, the Ducks said that Wisniewski had been diagnosed with a lung contusion and that he'd remain in hospital overnight as a precautionary measure.

If I had to guess I'd say the blood was coming from his lung injury.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277697

Old
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quick whistles happen - them's the breaks. I'm sure somewhere along the way the Wings have gotten the benefit from one. In that case, you certainly wouldn't hear Wings fans complaining about the officiating like they are this morning.

If the Wings are truly the superior team in this matchup, they will overcome this. That said, IMO they haven't done anything in this series to prove that they are that much better than the Ducks.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Skraut

The call in the wings game was brutal.

However Schadenfreude is awesome

Old
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The call in the wings game was brutal.

However Schadenfreude is awesome
now that's more like it.

Old
05-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Happy Pony

Yeah, it was a bad call. That said, **** Detroit.

Old
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
puckgoalnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If I had to guess I'd say the blood was coming from his lung injury.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277697
My guess was the elbow. Wrong type of flow (vs spray) and from what the camera showed last night looked more from the lips/gums. If it was from the lungs he'd be staying for more than just "overnight for observation".

Old
05-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Well in many respects they are two different scenarios. What makes them comparable is that an over-eager official called a halt to play when he shouldn't have. In that respect, they are exactly the same and I have no sympathy for the Wings or their fans. Truth is, when a Wings fan tells you the situations aren't comparable, they're telling you "one worked in my team's favor and the other worked against us." Objectivity hello?

There. All that said, anteater is right that the puck beat the whistle, thus negating even the potential Ducks counter of "we stopped playing when the whistle blew." Seems like what happened is the ref had decided to blow the whistle and play stopped in his mind when he made the decision not when he actually called the play dead.
It's more different than just that. The Jackets screwed themselves with an obvious penalty. The only way the ref "shouldn't have" called it is if people hold to the belief that penalties shouldn't be called late in a game. But that it was a penalty was unquestionable. The ref in the Detroit game, on the other hand, had the intent to blow play dead too early. No penalty was involved, and he was definitely, as you put it, over-eager.

Most importantly, Detroit's goal being taken away prevented them from tying the game with under two minutes to play. The Jackets only had to kill off a penalty to see the light of day. No matter how cynical we all are about our PP and Detroit's PP, that should be--and must be--a doable thing in the playoffs, especially from a pissed off team with something to prove. In short, Detroit had minimal control over their own destiny (they had less than two minutes to score another goal), and the Jackets had total control over their own destiny.

Kallio is right about the karma bit, too. Detroit didn't "have it coming." Karma involved with the fans, perhaps. But if there's bad karma involved in that, Optimus, you had better watch out, with all of the threats you made during the series. And if karma is being transferred from fan to team, I know a few to blame for a series of bad calls going against us next season

Old
05-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
It's more different than just that. The Jackets screwed themselves with an obvious penalty. The only way the ref "shouldn't have" called it is if people hold to the belief that penalties shouldn't be called late in a game. But that it was a penalty was unquestionable. The ref in the Detroit game, on the other hand, had the intent to blow play dead too early. No penalty was involved, and he was definitely, as you put it, over-eager.

Most importantly, Detroit's goal being taken away prevented them from tying the game with under two minutes to play. The Jackets only had to kill off a penalty to see the light of day. No matter how cynical we all are about our PP and Detroit's PP, that should be--and must be--a doable thing in the playoffs, especially from a pissed off team with something to prove. In short, Detroit had minimal control over their own destiny (they had less than two minutes to score another goal), and the Jackets had total control over their own destiny.
I conceded in my post that the situations are totally different (including, if not spelled out, the ways you mention - why spell out the innumerable ways they're different?) except in one regard. However, that one regard is what makes them comparable - that is, an official with an over-eager whistle. (I'm not getting into the "unquestionable" nature of the CBJ penalty call, as it's not germane to this discussion.) One situation involving an official with an over-eager whistle worked in a team's favor, another against them. Simple.

Oh, and technically Detroit didn't have it's goal "taken away." It never existed because the official blew the play dead - or to be more specific, was going to blow the play dead prior to the puck crossing the goal line. Lastly, whether or not the "intent" rule is a good one or not is for others to debate.

Old
05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Robert
Foligno family

I was elelated to see Detroit get screwed...I hope to see more of it.

Old
05-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Detroit has gotten more than their fair share of calls on their side, so I too was happy to see them get screwed. All year long they've been on the favorable side of calls. I think it's about damn time.

Old
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Well in many respects they are two different scenarios. What makes them comparable is that an over-eager official called a halt to play when he shouldn't have. In that respect, they are exactly the same and I have no sympathy for the Wings or their fans. Truth is, when a Wings fan tells you the situations aren't comparable, they're telling you "one worked in my team's favor and the other worked against us." Objectivity hello?

There. All that said, anteater is right that the puck beat the whistle, thus negating even the potential Ducks counter of "we stopped playing when the whistle blew." Seems like what happened is the ref had decided to blow the whistle and play stopped in his mind when he made the decision not when he actually called the play dead.
Just to expand, the point I had is this:

We had valid reason to complain about the TMM call given how things were called before that and all the like. We're not disputing the TMM call was legal or not, but in context, it was a bad call, given how several calls before that were ignored.

That part is water under the bridge now, though what's TRULY notable about it is the fact Detroit fans were jerks about it. Had they been cool about it, there would have been a heck of a lot less issues. But they were jerks, and when you act like a jerk, you reap what you sow.

Now while I do NOT advocate bad calls and what not for ANY team in any game (I want to stress that), the fact is, Detroit fans are now getting paid back for their smug arrogance or whatever you wish to describe their attitude as, and this payback is ten-fold, given the severity of the situation we saw unfold Tuesday night.

Karma is a b-word. Detroit fans brought it on themselves. I hate to see bad calls, but at the same time, it was Detroit, so let them be knocked down a few pegs by it, and let them be angry.

Old
05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
WapakJacketsFan

I don't understand the "intent" part about refs & their whistles. How in the world does anyone know when they actually "intend" to blow a play dead? How can that be a verifiable time to point to in reference later?

Say Referee A decides he wants to blow the whistle, but for some reason (He trips, falls, lands on his whistle) he can't blow it right away, does the play then end & go back to the point where he wanted to blow it?

Just seems to give the refs too much leeway, and enables their BS calls & non-calls, giving them far too much influence over the games than they should have. Could just be me & my convoluted thinking, too.

Old
05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapakJacketsFan View Post
I don't understand the "intent" part about refs & their whistles. How in the world does anyone know when they actually "intend" to blow a play dead? How can that be a verifiable time to point to in reference later?

Say Referee A decides he wants to blow the whistle, but for some reason (He trips, falls, lands on his whistle) he can't blow it right away, does the play then end & go back to the point where he wanted to blow it?

Just seems to give the refs too much leeway, and enables their BS calls & non-calls, giving them far too much influence over the games than they should have. Could just be me & my convoluted thinking, too.
Intent means the game is to fast. Our refs don't skate around with the whistle in their mouth as in basketball.

It's an honesty thing, I don't believe for one second any NHL ref would cheat on purpose. If he thinks the puck is dead the puck is dead when he had that thought, when he blows the whistle is not the rule.

Detroit did not really get screwed, the offical lost sight of the puck and called the play dead in his mind long before it went into the net or when he finally blew his whistle. I've seen this before..it's not something new.

Last edited by Robert: 05-06-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Robert
Foligno family

The Pittsburgh white out crowd looks like they are a sea of Washington fans.....big mistake, big.

Old
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
The Pittsburgh white out crowd looks like they are a sea of Washington fans.....big mistake, big.
I don't see that. But I'm used to the Pens fans being in white, too.

Old
05-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
I don't see that. But I'm used to the Pens fans being in white, too.

I don't watch the Pens often but the fans look alot like Caps imo... I had to double check the center ice crest to be sure it was the igloo...

Old
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
I don't watch the Pens often but the fans look alot like Caps imo... I had to double check the center ice crest to be sure it was the igloo...
Caps fans wear red at home though, right?

Old
05-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Caps fans wear red at home though, right?
Yes... Perhaps the point I'm trying to get at without saying it. The Pen sea of color should be black or at minimum gold..

Old
05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
The Sea of ___ shouldn't be the same color as the visiting team, I think that's what Robert is getting at.

Old
05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
The Sea of ___ shouldn't be the same color as the visiting team, I think that's what Robert is getting at.
Yep, that's it.

As for the Washington game, Malkin has finally come through. I never thought the Pens would be swept.

The Caps will be better in game four and five.

Old
05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Yep, that's it.

As for the Washington game, Malkin has finally come through. I never thought the Pens would be swept.

The Caps will be better in game four and five.
This game isn't over and a sweep isn't mathematically out yet.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
This game isn't over and a sweep isn't mathematically out yet.
True, but so far in this OT the ice is tilted for the Pens...

So far, one of the best offensive playoff OT's I've ever seen.

In post edit:

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh club, they earned this one... Note, Gary Glitter is the guy they play in victory.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
True, but so far in this OT the ice is tilted for the Pens...
But you also lured me into your "Brodeur is God" trap last week, so I need to keep your bold comments in check.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
But you also lured me into your "Brodeur is God" trap last week, so I need to keep your bold comments in check.
Agreed...now here's one for the late night posters. Most know about my relentless passion for experience over rookie super stars when it comes to winning in the post season.

Jussi Jokinen, who was said to be out of the question as far as an UFA signing by the Blue Jackets according to Puck Rakers, just won a semi final Stanley Cup game for the Hurricains over Boston..

Jussi Jokinen has an attitude, he's an out spoken guy who doesn't fit the Blue Jacket mold of quiet guys... Yet he wins...

It takes an attitude to win in this NHL, not lemmings, just sayin.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Oh, one more thing to think about based on the current playoffs, what do Carolina, and Anaheim have in common?

Closed Thread