HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

"Cap no good for fans"

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2004, 06:50 PM
H/H

vCash: 500
"Cap no good for fans, says expert"

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278

Old
09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Those who support a salary cap say it allows small-market teams to remain competitive against wealthy clubs. Ross counters it also penalizes smart businessmen who make good decisions.

"Yes, it does protect owners in advance from making really stupid decisions," said Ross.

But a salary cap can make it difficult for a team to rebuild, Ross said.

"What it also protects the owners against is an owner who could spend wisely on a new free agent who will put his team over the top. If a team has not been a contender recently, and they can spend more money to make more money, there should be no limit on their ability to do so."

Ross used the Vancouver Canucks as an example of an NHL team that turned itself around both financially and on the ice, through careful budgeting and smart player signings.
Huh? Who'd the Canucks sign? Messier?

Old
09-24-2004, 08:16 PM
djhn579

"It is very difficult to say this plan is going to be good for players."

One could say that having 30 financially stable teams, which provide over 700 well paying jobs with an average salary of $1.3M/year would be good for the players.

Much better than the average player sitting out for a full year and getting no money, or having fewer teams (and jobs) with teams folding every few years...

But of course, the owners aren't really losing money. They just thought it would be fun to alienate all of their fans because the game of hockey was getting too boring with all the clutching and grabbing, or because they want to make even more money, which is what obviously happens when you lock out players and alienate your fans...

Old
09-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Jack Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
"It is very difficult to say this plan is going to be good for players."

One could say that having 30 financially stable teams, which provide over 700 well paying jobs with an average salary of $1.3M/year would be good for the players.

Much better than the average player sitting out for a full year and getting no money, or having fewer teams (and jobs) with teams folding every few years...

But of course, the owners aren't really losing money. They just thought it would be fun to alienate all of their fans because the game of hockey was getting too boring with all the clutching and grabbing, or because they want to make even more money, which is what obviously happens when you lock out players and alienate your fans...
This I totally agree with you on.

Old
09-24-2004, 08:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Huh? Who'd the Canucks sign? Messier?
And they got rid of him right?

Old
09-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Tom_Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
And they got rid of him right?
They've signed two or three guys a year. They've used free agents to fill specific needs. Almost all of them have been reasonably priced and every one of them was worth the money they paid. Cassels, LaChance, Baron, May, Arvedson and Linden were the key players.

Tom

Old
09-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin
They've signed two or three guys a year. They've used free agents to fill specific needs. Almost all of them have been reasonably priced and every one of them was worth the money they paid. Cassels, LaChance, Baron, May, Arvedson and Linden were the key players.

Tom
And of those, I'd say getting Linden back was the best thing they ever did, even if it did cost them a 1st rounder.

Wait...did I just talk HOCKEY? Sorry guys, my bad.

Old
09-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Tom_Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
And of those, I'd say getting Linden back was the best thing they ever did, even if it did cost them a 1st rounder.

Wait...did I just talk HOCKEY? Sorry guys, my bad.
That year his contract expired. The Canucks resigned him to a three year deal. They did trade for him, but then signed him. In the sense we are discussing, he was a free agent.

He didn't really cost them a first rounder because it was Linden and Washington's second round pick for Vancouver's first. I can't remember what the exact difference in picks was, but the Canucks got Linden for dropping 15-20 places in the draft. From the mid twenties to the forty something. That's not very much.

Tom

Old
09-25-2004, 09:45 AM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579

Noting your sarcasm, please show how the owners overall are losing money.

Old
09-25-2004, 10:14 AM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitual_hab
There are many sources stating that the owners have lost over $240M each of the last 2 seasons. If you choose to not believe the numbers being reported, nothing I could show you will make any difference.

If you were to go to Yahoo and do a search with the following words, you will see multiple sources...

financial losses NHL 2004

Old
09-25-2004, 10:18 AM
s7ark
Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitual_hab

Please see the Levitt report

LINK

Old
09-25-2004, 10:23 AM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Please see the Levitt report

LINK
Please see how the Levitt report fails to show anything of the sort:

linkage

and for more background reading...

Old
09-25-2004, 11:32 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin

Tom

Well, I'm sure that jobbers will still be available under whatever CBA is worked out. And unless Goodenow wins big, they probably won't cost $2 mill a year either.

Quote:
"What it also protects the owners against is an owner who could spend wisely on a new free agent who will put his team over the top. If a team has not been a contender recently, and they can spend more money to make more money, there should be no limit on their ability to do so."

Ross used the Vancouver Canucks as an example of an NHL team that turned itself around both financially and on the ice, through careful budgeting and smart player signings.
Are the Canucks an example of a team that spent more money to make more money?

Hey, their payroll has gone up and their revenue has gone through the roof! So they must have, right? Well, no. Correlation does not imply causality (or however they phrase it in Logic 101).

The Canucks have assembled a successful team, and their revenues have skyrocketed as a result.
The Canucks have assembled a successful team, and their payroll has increased as a result. The increase in payroll has been a result of the collective success of the players, not vice-versa. Tampa Bay will follow the same pattern. The Devils and Nordiques are examples. On-ice success leads to higher payroll costs.

Can anybody help Dr Ross find an example of a team that "spent more money to make more money"? His notion that such a thing is even possible runs counter to what's been observed in the NHL, and most people who follow hockey agree, to some extent, that you can't build a winner by going out and spending money on free agents.

The best example of a team that has substantially improved its on-ice fortune (and theoretically, made more money) through a big free-agent signing is the Maple Leafs, whose acquisition of Curtis Joseph, then Ed Belfour, had a major impact on the team's performance. Aside from that, I'm having a hard time. Certainly most people who follow hockey would agree that spending your way to success has been a failure in most cases it's been attempted. I find this article rings a little hollow as a result.

Old
09-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Pepper

Notice how it's only Toronto and New York based papers that say cap is bad for the league and the fans? Larry Brooks, Al Strachan etc.

Old
09-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Brent Burns Beard
DontTouchMyDonskoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Notice how it's only Toronto and New York based papers that say cap is bad for the league and the fans? Larry Brooks, Al Strachan etc.
a cap is bad for the fans and i dont live or work in toronto or new york.

dr

Old
09-25-2004, 12:10 PM
MS

I don't live in Toronto or NY either. A hard cap would ruin the game of hockey as we know it.

Old
09-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I don't think a cap will increase player movement. It will more than likely keep it stagnant or decrease it.

Old
09-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I don't think a cap will increase player movement. It will more than likely keep it stagnant or decrease it.

I guess you dont follow the NFL or NBA.

Old
09-25-2004, 12:50 PM
H/H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Very, very wrong. Just a look at the NBA, even star players get shuffled back and forward.

Old
09-25-2004, 01:19 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H/H
Very, very wrong. Just a look at the NBA, even star players get shuffled back and forward.
...and that hardly ever happens in hockey...

Closed Thread