HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rule Q - Picking Up An Extra Stick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2009, 07:42 AM
  #26
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
I don't post here looking for credibility. If you're going to suggest I "thought up" my credentials, then that's you're problem, not mine.
So I have to ask, if you aren't looking for credibility why did you even bother to bring your "credentials" up? They mean as much to me as your opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
You obviously have a hard time when somebody tells you that you're wrong, but your judgment and application of this rule is not solid by any means. If applying the rules correctly is letting my ego be my guide, then I will let my ego be my guide.
I don't have issues when the person telling me I'm wrong can back up what they are saying, you can't. You don't agree, which is fine, but because you don't, all you can say is that your opinion is the only one. Your reasoning is that just because the rules don't specifically state that the stick can't be used upside down for play is reason enough. Nice sound reasoning. Send me a ruling from USAH that supports you and I'll change my way, until then, you're full of yourself and more.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:44 AM
  #27
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Dude, you're wrong on this one, Stripes is pretty much the expert here on officiating. Give it up.
"Dude", your opinion on this means so much to me. I'll just roll over and die now. Thanks.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
  #28
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
"Dude", your opinion on this means so much to me. I'll just roll over and die now. Thanks.
All I'm saying is that you're making yourself look like an idiot to everyone else. If you have no problem with that, keep going. I don't really care.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:07 PM
  #29
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
All I'm saying is that you're making yourself look like an idiot to everyone else. If you have no problem with that, keep going. I don't really care.
Seems you do care, you took the time to add your opinion twice without adding anything to the conversation. The little bit about "everyone else" standing behind you is a nice touch, gives you safety in numbers, at least in your mind.

I was going to attempt to tell you about having backbone enough to stand up for yourself but I see it would be a waste. Glad you and "everyone else" took the time to let me know how it really is. You can continue to hide behind your keyboard now.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
  #30
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Seems you do care, you took the time to add your opinion twice without adding anything to the conversation. The little bit about "everyone else" standing behind you is a nice touch, gives you safety in numbers, at least in your mind.

I was going to attempt to tell you about having backbone enough to stand up for yourself but I see it would be a waste. Glad you and "everyone else" took the time to let me know how it really is. You can continue to hide behind your keyboard now.
I'll go ahead in chime in for "everyone else" as well and let you know that trying to argue for two pages that a stick held upside down is somehow broken and unfit for play is hilarious.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
  #31
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,033
vCash: 500
And you wonder why no one likes the refs...

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 02:33 AM
  #32
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
So I have to ask, if you aren't looking for credibility why did you even bother to bring your "credentials" up? They mean as much to me as your opinion.
To show that I'm not some random person talking without experience, and to show that I know what I'm talking about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
I don't have issues when the person telling me I'm wrong can back up what they are saying, you can't.
So pointing out the fact that you're wrongly applying the Broken Stick rule, because it only allows you to judge a stick unfit for play and pointing out the fact that there are rules governing how players can use their sticks, is NOT backing up what I am saying? Whatever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Your reasoning is that just because the rules don't specifically state that the stick can't be used upside down for play is reason enough. Nice sound reasoning. Send me a ruling from USAH that supports you and I'll change my way, until then, you're full of yourself and more.
It is sound reasoning. You can't make up your own rules, and since the Broken Stick rule only allows you to judge the actual stick to be unfit for play, you are making up your own rule with this. Our job as referees is to base our judgments on what is written in the book.

Is holding the stick upside down against the rules? No. I don't need a ruling from a governing body to understand the rulebook, and it doesn't make me "full of myself". If you need it, you go get it.

You have yet to attempt to defend your assertion that a stick being held upside down is a safety issue. It's not.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 02:35 PM
  #33
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
To show that I'm not some random person talking without experience, and to show that I know what I'm talking about.




So pointing out the fact that you're wrongly applying the Broken Stick rule, because it only allows you to judge a stick unfit for play and pointing out the fact that there are rules governing how players can use their sticks, is NOT backing up what I am saying? Whatever.




It is sound reasoning. You can't make up your own rules, and since the Broken Stick rule only allows you to judge the actual stick to be unfit for play, you are making up your own rule with this. Our job as referees is to base our judgments on what is written in the book.

Is holding the stick upside down against the rules? No. I don't need a ruling from a governing body to understand the rulebook, and it doesn't make me "full of myself". If you need it, you go get it.

You have yet to attempt to defend your assertion that a stick being held upside down is a safety issue. It's not.
Let me put this to you as simply as I can so you'll understand. The next time I see a player using his stick butt end down to propel the puck, I'll whistle him for illegal equipment. If my supervisor calls me on the carpet for making the call, I'll take it into consideration the next time it happens.

Save all your credentials for the next person on here you try to impress, it was wasted on me. To me you'll always be a random person that has yet to prove anything to me, well almost nothing.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
  #34
FelixPotvin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Sorry Gino,
You're wrong on this one.

The thing with a broken stick is that it represents a REAL danger to other players. A broken wood stick splinters. A broken composite is sharp and hollow (a kid somewhere, Minnesota I think, didnt have a cap or knob on his composite and he went into the boards and it actually stuck into him).

A stick turned upside down is completely different. The blade would be near the players hand and the butt end would be near ice level. Neither of which are in a position to injure anyone.

The butt end is no more dangerous than a blade is when it comes to high sticking or spearing.

There is no reason that a stick turned around is any more dangerous than one in normal orientation. A broken stick is a completely different story.

You're actually saying that if a player used his butt end to jab at the puck you'd call him? So if a player fell and dropped his stick and picked it up at the blade end and, say, from his knees used the butt end to knock the puck out of the zone, you'd call him?

That's ludicrous.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.