HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

QF GDT 5/6 • Finland 2, United States 3

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Finns in regulation 6 42.86%
Finns in OT/shootout 4 28.57%
Americans in regulation 3 21.43%
Americans in OT/shootout 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Dr Despair

vCash: 500
I'm in pain.

Not just the loss, but the way it went. Finland never recovered from those horrible few minutes of the second period. Two unnecessary penalties 55 meters away from own goal.

I hate to say this, but today our guys didn't die with their boots on. I'm sure the will to fight was there, but it didn't show during the decisive moments of the game. The intensity of the offencive play during the last few minutes... we've seen them more furious than that in some opening periods in this tournament.

Congrats to USA.

Feel like getting drunk but I won't.

Dr Despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 5755
My advice: ignore the 08 in this thread.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Despair View Post
I'm in pain.
Your avatar is creepy and awesome at the same time.

That was a great thread.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Team USA is stronger then I would have initially thought.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Soundgarden

Who scored?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompus Rex View Post
drury and gomez shouldn't be on team usa. connolly should be there if he can play on the top 2 lines
I disagree on Gomez, he's one of our best playmakers and if you flank him with young snipers like Kessel and Ryan, or two guys he's already familar with from his Devil days like Parise and Langenbrunner, I think he'll have a great tournament.

I don't disagree on Drury, he's been horrible lately, but he's got leadership experience, international experience, and he's a two-way player, which is what Brian Burke is looking for.

As much as I love Connelly, I'd hate to waste a roster spot on a guy who's so injury prone. For all we know he'll get hurt on the flight to Vancouver and then where will we be?

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Systemfel
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Who scored?
1-0. N Kapanen (Hagman, Miettinen) 0:57, 2nd (PPG)
1-1. Brown (Suter, Hainsey) 10:31, 2nd (PPG)
1-2. Oshie (Backes, Okposo) 12:11, 2nd
1-3. Suter (Blake, Wilson) 14:19, 2nd
2-3. Hyvönen (Immonen) 17:50, 2nd

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Salming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Shouldn't that have not counted since you aren't allowed to hit a goalie in the head with the puck? Seems like a clear case of that and I can't believe they didn't rule that no goal.
Negation celebration.

Salming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti_A View Post
Yeah, tell me about it, just look at Belarus today. They had about five quality scoring chances and scored on three of them.

I really have no idea how Jukka (or anyone else for that matter) is going to be able to improve team Finland in that regard.
He doesn't have to now, we are out of this competition. In the olympics we'll have some hands available again. Specifically those of Saku and Teemu. Lehtinen and Jokinen will also help, and Ruutu, M.Koivu, J.Jokinen and Peltonen still have better hands than anyone in this squad that played today, so it will be much better then. We do not have to rely on Mittens and Hakki to score too much in that competition, they can take care of their natural role which is more like a 4th line energy player. Today's 1st line would make a nice 4th line for the olympics, but they will probably play Miettinen with M.Koivu if they get more ice time together in Minnesota. And our defense will be very offensive minded with good hands (Timonen, Pitkanen added).

When ever we have to send a B team or a mixed B/C team into a competition at this level, goal scoring efficiency becomes our downfall. There just are no talented scorers who have the overall talent and work ethic to compete on world class level. We have always left some decent scorers home, because their overall game is not good enough....that is why Pyorala is in the team instead of Koivisto etc.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
I disagree on Gomez, he's one of our best playmakers and if you flank him with young snipers like Kessel and Ryan, or two guys he's already familar with from his Devil days like Parise and Langenbrunner, I think he'll have a great tournament.

I don't disagree on Drury, he's been horrible lately, but he's got leadership experience, international experience, and he's a two-way player, which is what Brian Burke is looking for.

As much as I love Connelly, I'd hate to waste a roster spot on a guy who's so injury prone. For all we know he'll get hurt on the flight to Vancouver and then where will we be?
I can understand the injury argument for signing him to a full season. But not for a 2-week tournament.

If he's hurt, that's what the taxi squad is there for (and the likelihood of completely using the taxi squad is very little, so it wouldn't be wasting a roster spot). If he can play, he is an absolute weapon on offense, and can play all three situations. There's very little risk to putting him on the team.

He's also said that this year a major point of emphasis from the coaches was getting him to avoid putting himself in vulnerable positions, and the fact he stayed healthy for the entire 2nd half of the season shows he's improved at least somewhat.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 12:43 AM
gib

Tough loss. When tournament started we didn`t have much of star players and our defense was critised by all. When the tournament went on they started to show great team play. Against Canada and first half of USA game they played hockey which pleased my eyes. Something I havent seen for a long time. Offensive hockey and lots of scoring chances. Also defense played solid on those games and even Niinimaa played like he should. No huge errors there.

This was a good lesson for Jalonen when thinking about olympics.

Gongrats USA! Hopefully you go all the way.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:47 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Ruotsi, Roslagen, Rootsi (Estonian), Rus, Rossiya and Russia - these are all derivatives of the Old Norse "ros" which is "to row"
It's more that the rest of the world chooses to call Russia Sweden than the other way around

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:48 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Wow Esche was actually decent.
He won you the game, so more than decent.

Old
05-07-2009, 03:49 AM
mattihp

Now I can start giving the NHL playoffs a look at least :/

Old
05-07-2009, 04:04 AM
4rde

This game was just total BS after Lehtonen took the stupid penalty in our own zone when we were on the powerplay, after that we never recovered.

Well, succeeding is a process, now that we got 2 good coaches leading the way i expect us to go to the final round in 2-3 years.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
This game was just total BS after Lehtonen took the stupid penalty in our own zone when we were on the powerplay, after that we never recovered.

Well, succeeding is a process, now that we got 2 good coaches leading the way i expect us to go to the final round in 2-3 years.
The turning point against the Finns was not Lehtonens penalty but the absolute stupid and unnecessary one that Jarkko Ruutu took when Finland had to play already PK. Thanks to Jarkko Ruutu USA could play 5 against 3 and tie logically the game and this was the beginning of 5 minutes when the Finns began to panic and tried to take the lead as fast as possible again but neglected the defense completely. The Finns never recovered from this moment on.

The game of the Finns was at this moment destroyed and Jarkko Ruutu was responsible. Before they controlled the game.

Finnswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Dr Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
The game of the Finns was at this moment destroyed and Jarkko Ruutu was responsible. Before they controlled the game.
Those putting all the blame on Ruutu should remember this: that 5 on 3 produced one goal only, the 1-1 equalizer. Opponent scoring one goal is hardly an excuse for a team to choke.

The penalties taken by Hyvönen and Ruutu (both in the offencive zone) were stupid as hell, but it was the whole team that choked.

Dr Despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Merya
Jokerit & Finland

Yanks won it the "wrong way"TM, so don't worry.

Merya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Wilson better be looking for a new job after tonight if he starts Esche...
You were saying?????

Star of the game....way to go Esche!!! I do hope to see him back in the NHL.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote