HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Phoenix could move to Hamilton?

Old
05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
firmin94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Why? There's a huge market there. over 7M people, not counting all the TO bandwagoners.

Why? Hamilton is right next to Detroit..
There may be a huge 7 million people market, but who cares if nobody is interested in hockey. I'd rather have 600 000 people canadian market (read: Winnipeg) who's dying to get a team

firmin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Duh, if its a Canadian division we are SE
I don't get it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendextall View Post
Not the most accurate, Atlanta is technically more west than both Columbus and Detroit. That map makes it look like its east of both cities.

Huh ? What the heck are you talikng about ? Atlanta is EAST of Both Detroit and Columbus. Geography wasn't your forte in school i see.

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Why? There's a huge market there. over 7M people, not counting all the TO bandwagoners.

Why? Hamilton is right next to Detroit..
While next to, is relative, they are still over 300 kms apart.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Old
05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
They might move north of Toronto....Aurora area....huge market up there.

A second team would work bigtime in Southern Ontario....absolutely no question...especcially up there. The Greater Toronto Area has 4-5 million people...filled with hockey fans. I mean, NY area has THREE teams. They would sell out every game, with the amount of fans in the GTA. I actually think the area could have 3 teams....Toronto, North Toronto and Hamilton.

Hamilton would probably work, but not as well as North Toronto. When I first heard this idea a few weeks ago, I thought, brilliant. And now they had a big story on in tonight on Hockey Night in Canada.

The thing is....90% of the 5 million GTA NHL fans (including me) RARELY have the opportunity to go to games because of MLSE's ticket gouging and the corporate angle. I can gurantee a new team would be the "anti-leafs", and play to the real hockey fan....garnering a huge fan base. Leafs will still rule beacuse of history, but there are too many people dying to go to games and support it bigtime, and spend huge money (leading to a successful franchise). It will be easy IMO. And this is from a die-hard 30 year LEafs fan. lol.

You have to compensate teams withing 150 miles I have heard, but Compensation would not be too bad in this case....Ottawa doesnt apply, too far away, and if you go north, you wouldnt compensate Buffalo to the West (like you would with Hamilton). It would only be the LEafs you compensate. That North Toronto franchise would be a top 10 franchise within 10 years....easy...and that would be better for all teams, having a prosperous franchise taking over for a floundering one....
i heard them saying more closer to a 427/7 area, so in between brampton and woodbridge? Aurora seems a little too far more for me, but they would hit the Barrie fan base nicely.

Aurora wouldn't be bad at all actually. it's not too far from pickering.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Damn

Atlanta would be, as the most western Eastern Conference team.
sorry to dissappoint you.

anyways, The most likely scenario is that a new southern ontario team would play in the western conference so it would not conflict with Toronto as much. Thats what most analysts are saying here in toronto.

Therefore no movement would be necessary, except for shuffling the western conference a bit such as Colorado and Phoenix ( new toronto team ) switiching divisions.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

It's never going to happen, Bettman won't let it happen.

Quebec & Winnipeg we're thrown under the bus awfully quick but he refuses to throw his American Dream under the bus.

Screw Bettman and screw the NHL's executives. Canada *IS* Hockey.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:55 PM
MathMan

Bettman will fold the NHL before he sells a team to Ballsilie.

I sometimes suspect he'd rather move the Maple Leafs south than give up on the Sun Belt, but I suspect harsh economic reality will force him to at least consider relocating the 'Yotes.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Bettman will fold the NHL before he sells a team to Ballsilie.
I don't think Carey Price will be the last person boo'd at the Bell Centre before next season. Bettman can say it has nothing to do with Canada vs US all he wants, but the fact that he'd have blocked Balsilie 3 times from moving a US team back to Canada isn't going to warm up his usually crappy reception come draft day. Especially in Canada. Can't wait.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
silver321

Jim Balsillie is smart but I dont know about Hamilton...
He's trying to move teams like Phx to a real hockey city.

How about bring back Québec (Nordiques) or Winnipeg (Jets) ?
That would be awesome !!

silver321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
People in Canada do understand our legal system right?

A Bankruptcy judge cant force the NHL to accept the move of one of its teams against its bylaws! In fact if the judge does try to do that then that is good grounds for getting this thrown out in a higher court!

If the Judge does accept Moyers filing (NHL says that he doesn't have authority as NHL took over team) then it is conceivable the NHL could revoke the Coyotes rights and fold the team. Those in debt could go after NHL in court but league could argue that they had no other choice due to conditions of Balsille's purchase.

Remember if it is proven Moyers didn't have control then the case and bid have no merit and our worthless.

JB screwed up again!

He made it clear he wanted to move Pens during negotiations with NHL by refusing to conditions to keep them in Pittsburgh!

He made it clearer he wanted to move Preds before he had any purchase agreement!

And now he went behind NHL Board of Governors back with this deal with Moyers!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver321 View Post
Jim Balsillie is smart but I dont know about Hamilton...
He's trying to move teams like Phx to a real hockey city.

How about bring back Québec (Nordiques) or Winnipeg (Jets) ?
That would be awesome !!

Winnipeg 633,451 - around Winnipeg big 0
Hamilton 504,559 - (Burlington 164,415) (Oakville 165,613) (Brantford 100,000)
Québec 491,142 - around Quebec city big 0

Trust me he knows a lot more about this than you, so sit back and watch. He wants his team to make $, not lose $ again.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:18 AM
CanadienErrant*

So, if the Coyotes move to hamilton, where are the Dogs gonna play ?

Sherbrooke ? Granby ? Trois-Rivières ? Burlington, VT ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:48 AM
mbison7

They cannot move to hamilton because there is a rule in the nhl says teams have to be at least 80 kms away from eachother.

mbison7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Come on Bettman. How can you NOT trust this guy. His smile inspires confidence.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Habs178

Bettman is a dick...and he needs to just not be a part of the NHL anymore. Seriously, what good has come from him being the commissioner? I would love to see another Canadian team...I wouldn't even care where...but god forbid the NHL (American city lovin' fools) allow that to happen.

Habs178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs178 View Post
Bettman is a dick...and he needs to just not be a part of the NHL anymore. Seriously, what good has come from him being the commissioner? I would love to see another Canadian team...I wouldn't even care where...but god forbid the NHL (American city lovin' fools) allow that to happen.
Salary cap to put a stop at the NYR stupidity. A revived NHL, he's a big part of it.

He's still a ****** when it comes to bringing another team North of the border though

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbison7 View Post
They cannot move to hamilton because there is a rule in the nhl says teams have to be at least 80 kms away from eachother.
Right.. just like Long Island and New York...

I want a link for that rule..

Old
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Shane Doan in Quebec would be priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

A Bankruptcy judge cant force the NHL to accept the move of one of its teams against its bylaws! In fact if the judge does try to do that then that is good grounds for getting this thrown out in a higher court!

If the Judge does accept Moyers filing (NHL says that he doesn't have authority as NHL took over team) then it is conceivable the NHL could revoke the Coyotes rights and fold the team. Those in debt could go after NHL in court but league could argue that they had no other choice due to conditions of Balsille's purchase.

Remember if it is proven Moyers didn't have control then the case and bid have no merit and our worthless.

JB screwed up again!

He made it clear he wanted to move Pens during negotiations with NHL by refusing to conditions to keep them in Pittsburgh!

He made it clearer he wanted to move Preds before he had any purchase agreement!

Well, in bankruptcy court, the judge is forced to accept the highest bid, which is from Ballsilly. The question is...If the bid is contingent on the team moving, are they still forced to accept it?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Well, in bankruptcy court, the judge is forced to accept the highest bid, which is from Ballsilly. The question is...If the bid is contingent on the team moving, are they still forced to accept it?
No, more info:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=277696

Quote:
The question then becomes, can a bankruptcy court in Arizona mandate the NHL to relocate or transfer a franchise in order to satisfy the needs of the Coyotes' secured creditors?

It's an interesting legal question and without putting words in anyone's mouth – no one is commenting anyway – the safe bet is that Balsillie's group believes that's a possibility while the NHL doesn't believe a bankruptcy court can tell it how to conduct its affairs.

In fact, based on the press release issued by the NHL in the wake of the bankruptcy filing, it's clear the league questions even more than that.

The wording of the NHL press release suggests the league believes Moyes was perhaps not within his rights to file the bankruptcy claim and that he, by virtue of the NHL monies forwarded to the team since October, may not have been in control of the franchise. In any case, the league said it has now ''removed'' Moyes as an official of the club.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:29 PM
11alias11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

JB screwed up again!

If this happens that's basically Bettman's job. No way he folds a team solely to keep Balsillie out of the league and keeps his job. Considering the majority of the other owners would love for Balsillie to purchase a team significantly higher than market value & bring it to Canada where it will no doubt post profits.

Oh, and Balsillie never would have gotten the Pens anyways, once he said he wanted to move them the Penguin ownership said they wouldn't sell. That wasn't Bettman's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbison7 View Post
There is a rule, but the distances are not confirmed, I've heard anywhere from 60km to 100km, but even if they are within the territory of either team (I think Toronto is the only one who has the rights in Hamilton, Buffalo I believe is just outside) Balsillie can still offer them cash for them to waive their territorial rights. I've heard his offer is $200 million to MLSE which would enable them to buy that Premier League team they've been wanting.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
11alias11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

as for Copp's as a home? It would take a lot of $$$ to make it barely adequate
It would take $20 mil to get it to NHL standards & they want to put $150 mil into it by the beginning of the 10-11 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I'm also not convinced Hamilton would support that team once the novelty wears off. Yes there would be interest from fans in surrounding areas, but would it be enough.
You're kidding right? You do realize Balsillie sold out season tickets for the Predators in 2-3 days? I guarantee you there would be plenty of support for a team in Hamilton. You have some of the richest cities in Ontario less than a half hour away (Oakville, Burlington, Ancaster, and to a lesser extent Stoney Creek) and all the people who can't get Leaf tickets will easily make the trip, especially for the prices they will be in comparison to Leafs tickets.

A Hamilton-Toronto rivalry would be fierce! It would instantly blow away any rivalry Toronto has had with Ottawa, and could even match Montreal's rivalry. Many Hamiltonians hate Torontonians & vice versa....it would be insane.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
11alias11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
Moyes cannot take any of the money, he is getting No equity and has been removed of all authoritative decisions for the Coyotes
but his debtors would get the money. the courts will make whatever decision is best for the people who are owed money.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:53 PM
11alias11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post

Questions:

2. What name do you think the team will take. I guessed earlier "The Skulls", but that's because I'm drunk

Hamilton Tigers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tigers

Old
05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
11alias11

Results of today's courtroom hearing. It looks like the judge will hold a hearing May 19th to decide if the NHL or Moyes controls the Coyotes.