HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you rather have..Markov or Lecavalier?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have?
Andrei Markov 209 81.64%
Vincent Lecavalier 47 18.36%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Anyway, I know we aren't arguing any of this, and I also agree on Lecavalier, but I'd really like it if you could point out where did you hear about the 48 mil number? Thanks.
Wish I could help you there, but I really don't remember who said that. I heard that while back so it's hard to remember, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's possibly it was Pedneault since you remember him clearly stating it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
I work in investment banking and everything I read/hear points to the economy on the upswing and turning positive by the 2nd half of 2010 (12 months from now give or take) I've seen projections that the economy in the US could be back to 4% GDP growth by 2011. I do agree we don't really know but signs point towards things slowly getting better each year before hyper inflation likely sets in down the road.
I'm not denying the economy will go back up, eventually it will. How soon?..you seem to have a better idea than me.

All I was saying is that it'd be stupid to sign/take in contracts that are expensive and longterm in thinking the cap will rise therefore the salary won't have as big an impact in 4-5-6years.

I wouldn't sign JayBo to the max salary over 13years by thinking halfway through that contract, it won't look like such a bad deal.

I think that's just wishful thinking and a very stupid and risky business move.

Old
05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not denying the economy will go back up, eventually it will. How soon?..you seem to have a better idea than me.

All I was saying is that it'd be stupid to sign/take in contracts that are expensive and longterm in thinking the cap will rise therefore the salary won't have as big an impact in 4-5-6years.

I wouldn't sign JayBo to the max salary over 13years by thinking halfway through that contract, it won't look like such a bad deal.

My guess is that the economy is already starting to turn upwards, the market at least seems to be showing that. I would fully expect that things will be back on track in 12-18 months, not that everything will be fine as banks are still in trouble, the housing market will continue to struggle in certain areas, but things do appear to be headed in the right direction. Granted I know much more about stocks then the economy so I guess we'll see.

Frankly i'd be surprised if the cap was under 50M in 2 years. Granted I'm not saying I support signing players to 13 year deals, I'm against that.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Wish I could help you there, but I really don't remember who said that. I heard that while back so it's hard to remember, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's possibly it was Pedneault since you remember him clearly stating it.
I heard him say it on 110% at least 5 times, and I remember him saying the same thing in his collumn in the JDM once, although I rarely read the JDM, so he probably said it a few times more in that rag, considering how rarely I read it and still managed to catch him saying it.

Quote:

Totally agree. Especially on a player who had so many health issues over the last two seasons. It's too much of a risk, especially considering the economic incertainties.

Although I would do the same type of cap hit on J-Bo as Lecavalier, but surely not the max cap hit, and not for that long, maybe until he's 34, that would make it what? 8 seasons? (If I remember correctly, J-Bo will be 26 later this year?)

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
goalchenyuk

I would go with Lecavalier because Habs have more promising d-men in the farm . I also think that more free agents would be willing to sign with the Habs , because of Lecavalier ; Even if he's a top player , Markov doesn't have impact out of his play ( low profil ) .

Markov 's contract will ended in 2 seasons ; just re-sign him as a free agent .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
I would go with Lecavalier because Habs have more promising d-men in the farm . I also think that more free agents would be willing to sign with the Habs , because of Lecavalier ; Even if he's a top player , Markov doesn't have impact out of his play ( low profil ) .

Markov 's contract will ended in 2 seasons ; just re-sign him as a free agent .
We'd be lucky if any of our promising Dmen turn out to be half as good as Markov.

Having a guy like Markov would be a model for guys like Subban and Weber too.

Old
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I still don't get why it has to be one or the other for a couple of reasons:
  1. I don't believe that Tampa Bay would want Markov as the only reason why they would want to trade Lecavalier would be to dump salary. Otherwise, they'd keep him as he's the face of the franchise. So they won't want Markov's contract plus the contracts of the other players involved as it would be similar to Lecavalier's contract alone.
  2. We have plenty of cap space to keep both of them

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Puckhead58*

I would rather Markov than Vinny. Markov's salary is easier to swallow and he's already on the team. In order to get Vinny, we'd have to give up way too much and then we'd have Vinny's huge contract hanging over the teams head for the next 10 years.....no thanks!!!

I would love to have a big point scoring centerman like Vinny if the price was right, but his new contract is gross and hard to work around in the New NHL with the cap restrictions.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 10:00 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

We can't seem to win without him...Markov

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote