HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you take Garon to backup Price?

Old
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
If some GM comes up to Gainey and offers a Toskala type of return (ie overpayment) for Halak, sure, why the hell not. But unfortunately, Ferguson is no longer a GM in this league.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Habs178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
First of all.....we should have never gotten rid of Garon in the first place. He was always a better goalie than Theodore, except Garon was never given a chance to show what he can do.
It's funny how our "backups" always tend to be the better goalie, and never get the chance to prove themselves. I would hate to lose Halak, but its quite obvious he's never going to be given the fair chance that he deserves. So sad...

Habs178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Crystal Met

i would love him as a back up to price but only if the return for halak is great. Risking another vokoun situation for a 2nd rounder is not worth it imo

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
shakenbake7

OK, now I know I'm gonna get bashed for this one (especially since my post count is awful low), but hear me out.

A good friend of mine, who grew up with, and is still very close to, Mathieu Garon recently told me that he's been approached by the Habs about signing on this summer. When he told me this, I was thinking, "They want him to play in the AHL like Marc Denis this year?" His friend replied, "Nope, they want to bring him in as a backup." His friend also told me that he was very interested at the time (which is clearly obvious at this point). But then the question is, what happens to Halak? Hmmm...

You can choose to believe it or not, but these two are VERY close friends and I certainly believe every ounce of it. Just don't shoot the messenger.

shakenbake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs178 View Post
It's funny how our "backups" always tend to be the better goalie, and never get the chance to prove themselves. I would hate to lose Halak, but its quite obvious he's never going to be given the fair chance that he deserves. So sad...
they are not always better, the perception changes thats all, the backup goalie role is the best position in the NHL to get overrated

When you lose a game, its not a big deal because you are the no 2 goaltender and its normal that no 2 dont win because they are cold, they didnt play often etc etc etc and other silly excuses like this

But when you win a game, these same factors come in the equation you won a game! despite being cold, not playing enough and blablabla

and this is how the hype on backup goalies get created, then, when the said backup goalie have to play for a long spam of time (Halak, Sanford, Sabourin, Anderson) baring some rare situations (Clemmensen, Conklin) their flaws come exposed and the backup goalie go back to the backup goalie situation.

And in Montreal, a place where we did not have a globally appointed starter for years, people have the tendency of doing it in a completely overboard manner

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake7 View Post
OK, now I know I'm gonna get bashed for this one (especially since my post count is awful low), but hear me out.

A good friend of mine, who grew up with, and is still very close to, Mathieu Garon recently told me that he's been approached by the Habs about signing on this summer. When he told me this, I was thinking, "They want him to play in the AHL like Marc Denis this year?" His friend replied, "Nope, they want to bring him in as a backup." His friend also told me that he was very interested at the time (which is clearly obvious at this point). But then the question is, what happens to Halak? Hmmm...

You can choose to believe it or not, but these two are VERY close friends and I certainly believe every ounce of it. Just don't shoot the messenger.
No offense to you or your friends, but I have strong doubts that Gainey APPROACHED Garon already about signing him over the summer when a Goaltender is probably the least of our worries right now.

To begin with, we don't even know if the Habs will have the same owner, president and GM.
Granted, BG still has a job to do until told otherwise but I doubt his focus is on a guy like Garon.

First off all, Defense is the priority. Then he has to look at who on Offense he wants to re-sign. Then he has to think about who he wants to aim for during UFA and prepare big pitches/offers, and only then should he think about Goaltending.

If Garon was an Elite Goalie and we'd be in need of one, I'd believe it.
But Gainey approaching Garon almost 3months before UFA makes very little sense.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No offense to you or your friends, but I have strong doubts that Gainey APPROACHED Garon already about signing him over the summer when a Goaltender is probably the least of our worries right now.

To begin with, we don't even know if the Habs will have the same owner, president and GM.
Granted, BG still has a job to do until told otherwise but I doubt his focus is on a guy like Garon.

First off all, Defense is the priority. Then he has to look at who on Offense he wants to re-sign. Then he has to think about who he wants to aim for during UFA and prepare big pitches/offers, and only then should he think about Goaltending.

I completely agree with you, which is why I, too, thought it was a little fishy. But I have faith in my source.

And for the record, he didn't specify who approached him. It might have been BG or it could have been other representatives; I have no clue.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:

oh yeah this ! and you forgot that this would be "tampering" he is a FA only on July 01st. Gainey ain't that dumb, nice try on your friends part though.

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

If Garon can take less than a million, fine. Or else it will cost too much in the long run with Price having to re-sign next year and the cap going down.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Magic33

I think we need to keep Halak as long as we can for the simple fact that Price's future is still uncertain. If Price comes back next year and has a great season, then i would feel comfortable moving Halak. If Price has another bad season, then I would be concerned and consider signing Halak to another deal. It is possible that Halak becomes our number 1 in a couple years (PS i am not bashing Price. Im simply stating that if Price doesn't pan out, it would be nice to have another young, capable goalie to carry the load).

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I think we need to keep Halak as long as we can for the simple fact that Price's future is still uncertain. If Price comes back next year and has a great season, then i would feel comfortable moving Halak. If Price has another bad season, then I would be concerned and consider signing Halak to another deal. It is possible that Halak becomes our number 1 in a couple years (PS i am not bashing Price. Im simply stating that if Price doesn't pan out, it would be nice to have another young, capable goalie to carry the load).
Halak can't even get the starting position on the Czech team in front of a no name goaltender. He has nothing special and Habs fans have wayyyyyy overrated him. He will not be a #1 anywhere in the NHL.

Old
05-07-2009, 05:05 PM
DaHabMan

nah i think we're fine with keeping halak

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah, let's trade our best goalie from last season, not to mention (statistically) better goalie of the two over their careers.

Until one goalie or the other proves they deserve to be the #1 without question, it's a dumb move to trade either.

What happens if we trade Halak.. he becomes Hasek and Price becomes Ouellet? Not saying that's what will happen, I just think it's bad idea to move one or the other until one has stepped up above and beyond.

Halak also had a pretty decent showing at the World Championships this month. With the exception of the Canada game (first start in over 3-weeks/against best team in the Tournament), Halak posted a 1.85 GAA w/ .918 SV% while going 1-1 for a team that finished outside the Top-8.

Anyway, I'd much rather spend our money on some actual defenseman.

EDIT: fixed the GAA.
+1

Price shouldn't even be the starting goalie. If we trade Halak (which would be a terrible mistake) it should be to bring in a real veteran no1 goalie so that Price could learn the job as a backup.

This is why I want Gainey gone, because I'm afraid his man crush toward Price will make him trade Halak, get a career backup goalie and be stuck with two uncapable goalies in net while Halak could flourish given minimal support by his bosses elsewhere.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:22 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I think there's much better goalies available out there.

Khabibulin, Conklin, Clemenson, Fernandez, Biron, Niitymaki, Legace..

I don't think Garon is really the best choice. Now it remains to be known who would accept the role of a back up.
Most of them will be looking for a starters role and will not want to back-up Price.

Garon would be a nice fit, he'd accept his role on the team and play to the best of his ability which was great for the Oilers last season but not so much this season.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
+1

Price shouldn't even be the starting goalie. If we trade Halak (which would be a terrible mistake) it should be to bring in a real veteran no1 goalie so that Price could learn the job as a backup.

This is why I want Gainey gone, because I'm afraid his man crush toward Price will make him trade Halak, get a career backup goalie and be stuck with two uncapable goalies in net while Halak could flourish given minimal support by his bosses elsewhere.

LMAO hockey knowledge is spweing here.

Old
05-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Thinkbig

I would take Patrick Roy as a goalie coach.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
MM425

IMO having two young goalies for another season is a bad idea. I don't think Halak can support Price the way a vet backup can.

Garon would be a good fit. He's a vet now, he's played in the city before, and he's a dependable enough goalie to count on him for 20-25 games.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
First of all.....we should have never gotten rid of Garon in the first place. He was always a better goalie than Theodore, except Garon was never given a chance to show what he can do.

Second of all...I would be more than happy to bring Garon back if he wants to come back and assume the backup role and guiding Price along in his development.....providing we can get a good deal for trading Halak.
You don't think getting Huet and Bonk was a good return??

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

A good friend of mine, who grew up with, and is still very close to, Mathieu Garon recently told me that he's been approached by the Habs about signing on this summer.
When he told me this, I was thinking, "They want him to play in the AHL like Marc Denis this year?" His friend replied, "Nope, they want to bring him in as a backup." His friend also told me that he was very interested at the time (which is clearly obvious at this point). But then the question is, what happens to Halak? Hmmm...

Are you saying the Habs are guilty of tampering?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

IF we trade Halak (and if we do I hope we get a good return for him, we shouldn't try to trade him), then Garon would be an ideal solution to backup Price.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:21 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:

Second of all....I would be more than happy to bring Garon back if he wants to come back and assume the backup role and guiding Price along in his development.....providing we can get a good deal for trading Halak.
Give me a break. What has Garon done in the NHL? At least Theo got a few good years in.

NORiculous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:25 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You don't think getting Huet and Bonk was a good return??
+1

Sometimes the pink glasses blind too much.

NORiculous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Are you saying the Habs are guilty of tampering?
Pretty much.

Old
05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Pretty much.
Gainey would be the last guy to tamper with other teams players

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
GNick42

Could we get a first round pick for Halak?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote