HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ready to graduate from Easton Synergy 200s; what should I get next?

Old
05-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Ready to graduate from Easton Synergy 200s; what should I get next?

I started playing on ice about 1.5 years ago using a pair of Synergy 200s. I LOVE THEM. They fit perfectly out of the box, and I've never had any kind of discomfort from them.

The problem is they're not durable, and I'd rather get something with better performance (lighter) now that I'm a much better player. I'm one of the best players in my C level league, which might not sound like much, but I'm not one of those people out there who can barely stand up. I know how to skate, and I'm ready to take advantage of a more advanced skate.

So, what should I look at? Do the higher end Eastons have the same kind of boot shape as the 200s?

I'm somewhat flat-footed, so skates with high arches are out. Oh, and my 200s are size 8 regulars, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 01:58 PM
stick9

Best advice, get yourself down to your local hockey shop and try on everything and anything. When something find something that fits, buy it.

Don't get overly caught up in weight. You aren't gonna notice weight when it's measured in grams.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:50 PM
raganblink

For rec leagues - get Easton SE6, SE10 (if on sale) or if their new stuff has come in get the S9.

However, really, I'd get Vapor X:30s.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
For rec leagues - get Easton SE6, SE10 (if on sale) or if their new stuff has come in get the S9.

id rather get the XXV for an extra 50 bucks. it doesnt really matter though, the eastons wont fit like vapors

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:

Do you have any thoughts on the S7s? For some reason they're cheaper than the S6s.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Do you have any thoughts on the S7s? For some reason they're cheaper than the S6s.
the s7's are Stealth the SE6 are synergy. they are two different lines of skate. the s7s i think are on sale now. They are probably the better deal

Old
05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
the s7's are Stealth the SE6 are synergy. they are two different lines of skate. the s7s i think are on sale now. They are probably the better deal
I believe the fit is different between the two lines.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:51 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:

Why? They look cooler? Get a skate that is the same last and fit, just get a higher-end synergy skate from that generation.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I believe the fit is different between the two lines.
i believe there is also a better liner is the stealths, along with a few other details

Old
07-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Devil Dancer

Do the S10s need to be baked? Amazon of all places has a good deal on them right now, and I'm considering pulling the trigger.

Old
07-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Saved

Quote:
Do the S10s need to be baked? Amazon of all places has a good deal on them right now, and I'm considering pulling the trigger.
Buying skates online is the easiest solution to being unhappy with your hockey career.

Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 01:30 PM
rinkrat22

better fit > better deal.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Devil Dancer

Yeah, thanks, I've already established that the S10s in an 8.0R fit perfectly, I just want to know if I need to get them baked once they get here.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Devil Dancer

Does anyone have an opinion on the Easton S11s? Would they fit differently than the SE10s?

Old
08-25-2009, 12:06 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Yeah, thanks, I've already established that the S10s in an 8.0R fit perfectly, I just want to know if I need to get them baked once they get here.
Get skates baked is personal preference. Some people wont wear skates till they are baked, I never bake my skates.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Not much differently. SE10s are a great skate though, As are the S11s. Both are one piece composite boots (mostly glass fiber though), which you won't find from any other company at that price point. As a result you get much better stiffness and protection then you would with lower level skates of other brands, which are typically made of nylon or something similar.

Oh, and bake them. They will form to your foot. These days skates are made so that many of them won't ever fit properly without baking. Eastons aren't like that, but it's always good to bake them.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Best advice, get yourself down to your local hockey shop and try on everything and anything. When something find something that fits, buy it.

Don't get overly caught up in weight. You aren't gonna notice weight when it's measured in grams.

Best answer you are going to get

Old
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

Well, not really necessary in this case. Synergies and stealths fit pretty much the same, and he's already established that the Eastons in a 8.0 are a perfect fit. Trying things on is only really necessary if you're changing brands, or if the brand or line has changed fits. If you're going from an Older Easton Synergy to a newer Easton, the fit hasn't changed. If you're using a 8090 and looking into a new skate, that fit has changed and you will need to try on new skates.

Old
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

my friend bought a pair of se10s used. they were not used too much but already there is some cosmetic damage. ive heard alot of complaints about cosmetic damage to the SE and the Stealth skates

Old
08-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Semper Sens

About baking, I bought a pair of Easton Synergy 1200c's last year, just after Christmas. They felt fine for about a month, then I started getting pretty intense pain between the top of my foot and my shin. I had to take time off from skating but it wouldn't go away. That's the first time I've ever had problems with skates (this also my first pair of new skates; I normally buy used).

I have since sprained my ankle but I plan on getting them baked as soon as the swelling goes away completely, based on advice I read here. Old skates that were made out of leather and wood, they can break in, but new skates made out composite materials don't break in as much, or at all.

Also, I went to this big hockey store that just recently got two franchises in Ottawa, and the guy behind the skate sharpening counter told me they'd bake them for free, even though I didn't buy them there. Might as well if it's going to be free, you know? Ask around and see who's willing to do it for free.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
About baking, I bought a pair of Easton Synergy 1200c's last year, just after Christmas. They felt fine for about a month, then I started getting pretty intense pain between the top of my foot and my shin. I had to take time off from skating but it wouldn't go away. That's the first time I've ever had problems with skates (this also my first pair of new skates; I normally buy used).

I have since sprained my ankle but I plan on getting them baked as soon as the swelling goes away completely, based on advice I read here. Old skates that were made out of leather and wood, they can break in, but new skates made out composite materials don't break in as much, or at all.

Also, I went to this big hockey store that just recently got two franchises in Ottawa, and the guy behind the skate sharpening counter told me they'd bake them for free, even though I didn't buy them there. Might as well if it's going to be free, you know? Ask around and see who's willing to do it for free.
Might have nothing to do with your skates. Shin splint maybe?

Old
08-26-2009, 12:40 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

Yeah, I doubt that's a problem with the skates. See a doctor about that one.

Old
08-30-2009, 12:49 PM
raganblink

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Why? They look cooler? Get a skate that is the same last and fit, just get a higher-end synergy skate from that generation.
no, its quality. s9 and x30 are same price. imho x30>s9.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:02 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

Different fits though. If he fits perfect in an Easton, he's not going to fit in an X:30 very well.

Besides, the SE10 is selling on monkey for $200- and it's a much better skate then either then X:30 or the S9. One piece glass fiber composite boot, which gives it ****loads of protection and performance, and lighter as well.

The x:30 is really nothing special. The body is just basic nylon, It's got a decent liner and padding. The S9 has composite quarters, it's just covered with that tacky metal mesh. On the materials front easton wins, and the rest of both skates are similar.

Easton really puts more effort into their price point skates then other companies. Bauer basically uses the same design as their top end skate, makes it out of nylon and gradually adds liners better padding and such. Easton makes many out of one piece composite boots, but just changes what the composite is made out of. Results in a lighter and better performing price point skate.

Old
08-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Different fits though. If he fits perfect in an Easton, he's not going to fit in an X:30 very well.
And that's what this is all about. I don't fit Bauer or CCM boots very well, but my Eastons have been perfect from the start. I'm definably sold on either the S10s or the S11s, and I'll place my order within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help everyone!