HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Crawford interested in head coaching

Old
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Sounds pretty desperate from him to post the application letter in the media. As Pat Burns said about this, chances are Gainey knew his phone number already.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:48 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Sounds pretty desperate from him to post the application letter in the media. As Pat Burns said about this, chances are Gainey knew his phone number already.
I agree. Plus, Bob Gainey usually doesn't give out info to the media about stuff like this. Why would Crawford feel the need to talk about his interest in the coaching position to the media if he feels he has a good shot at it?

That being said, I think he's a great candidate. Bilingual, experienced, and he seems to genuinely want to come to Montreal.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
I agree. Plus, Bob Gainey usually doesn't give out info to the media about stuff like this. Why would Crawford feel the need to talk about his interest in the coaching position to the media if he feels he has a good shot at it?

That being said, I think he's a great candidate. Bilingual, experienced, and he seems to genuinely want to come to Montreal.
Ive come to think that the reason we dont hear stuff from gainey is because he does nothing

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:19 PM
le_sean

Great so then we can see him bench our best players during the shootout.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
Ive come to think that the reason we dont hear stuff from gainey is because he does nothing
Do you seriously have to bash BG ( we get it ) in every thread ? Just asking because it's getting old.

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I had an 8 round shootout on NHL be a pro and the coach for the team was sending out guys like Kosto, Dandy and Lapierre while Koivu and Kovalev were available (Kovalev also had 2 goals that game). I lost that shootout and was furious.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
LOL. My thoughts exactly!!!!

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I wonder why you're saying this. He answered the RDS journalists' questions. It's not like if he called a press conference to scream this on the roofs.

Oh, and Gainey doesn't call people. He lets his phone turned on.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
and put Lapierre?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 05:55 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
and put Lapierre?
Unfortunately, as it stands, he really is one of our best players lol

Old
05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

So who are the leading candidates now?

1- Marc Crawford
2- Bob Hartley
3- Larry Robinson
4- Don Lever*
5- Mario Tremblay
6- Benoît Groulx
7- Guy Boucher
8- Peter Laviolette*
9- Dany Dubé
10- Jacques Martin
11- Denis Savard
12- Jacques Lemaire
13- Kirk Muller*
14- Patrick Roy
15- Michel Therrien
16- Guy Carbonneau
17- Barry Melrose**

* Their French probably disqualifies them
** Joke

Am I forgetting anyone?? To me, it sounds more like a battle between the 2 former Avs coaches, and I like both.

My 3rd favorite candidate would be Dany Dubé, even if he has no NHL experience. He's definitely a good hockey head, but I doubt Gainey knows who he is.

I like Guy Boucher for the Bulldogs. I don't know if Lever is to blame for the young players problems, but Boucher could bring some "discipline"...

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:43 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
I bet if he did choose Gretzky and Gretzky didn't score, people would be chastising him about that.
Agreed... Just like Carbo playing Huet over Halak two years ago...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
I bet if he did choose Gretzky and Gretzky didn't score, people would be chastising him about that.
Not really, he's the greatest player of all-time, what other sane options were there?

Old
05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Not really, he's the greatest player of all-time, what other sane options were there?
may have been the greatest of all time, but it doesn't change the fact that this was 1998, not 1988.

Old
05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post

1- Marc Crawford
2- Bob Hartley
3- Larry Robinson
4- Don Lever*
5- Mario Tremblay**
6- Benoît Groulx
7- Guy Boucher
8- Peter Laviolette*
9- Dany Dubé**
10- Jacques Martin
11- Denis Savard**
12- Jacques Lemaire**
13- Kirk Muller*
14- Patrick Roy
15- Michel Therrien
16- Guy Carbonneau**
17- Barry Melrose**

** Joke

Am I forgetting anyone?? To me, it sounds more like a battle between the 2 former Avs coaches, and I like both.

My 3rd favorite candidate would be Dany Dubé, even if he has no NHL experience. He's definitely a good hockey head, but I doubt Gainey knows who he is.

I like Guy Boucher for the Bulldogs. I don't know if Lever is to blame for the young players problems, but Boucher could bring some "discipline"...
Fixed.

Honestly, here's my wishlist in order of preference:

1. Marc Crawford
2. Larry Robinson
3. Bob Hartley
4. Patrick Roy
5. Don Lever

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Yeah, because Fleury, Shanahan, Lindros, Nieuwendyk, and Bourque were such horrible options.

Sometimes you've just got to tip your cap to the opposing goaltender. Hasek was in his prime at the time.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Gretzky was one year away from retirement, would admit himself that he stinks on breakaways and was mainly a playmaker at the end of his career. Crawford chose a bunch of 50 goal scorers and Ray Bourque....bar none the best target shooter in All-Star game history.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post

1- Marc Crawford
2- Bob Hartley
3- Larry Robinson
4- Don Lever*
5- Mario Tremblay
6- Benoît Groulx
7- Guy Boucher
8- Peter Laviolette*
9- Dany Dubé
10- Jacques Martin
11- Denis Savard
12- Jacques Lemaire
13- Kirk Muller*
14- Patrick Roy
15- Michel Therrien
16- Guy Carbonneau
17- Barry Melrose**

** Joke

Oh come on, Dubé was coaching Team Canada something like 15 years ago, I'm sure Gainey KNOWs who Dubé is. He was even pissed when André Savard passed on him for coaching position for the Habs. I'm sure Gainey heard about THAT.

Dubé is a good commentator because he did coach and has a good common sense, yet that doesn't make him a candidate. Not ONE team has ever hired him and there is probably a reason for this. You know, there are other teams than Montreal in this league and Dubé hasn't been doing much in terms of coaching professionals in the last decade.

And about Lever, I've heard that he does speak French, so who cares if he has to take up one class over the summer to be better at it.

Also, Jacques Martin is the GM of the Panthers, so nix him from the list.

My list is way shorter :

1- Robinson
2- Lever
3- Hartley
4- Crawford
5- Lemaire (won't come here though, although he could always change his mind, it happened to Larry.)
6- Savard
7- Roy

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:11 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Gretzky was one year away from retirement, would admit himself that he stinks on breakaways and was mainly a playmaker at the end of his career. Crawford chose a bunch of 50 goal scorers and Ray Bourque....bar none the best target shooter in All-Star game history.
Quote:
Yeah, because Fleury, Shanahan, Lindros, Nieuwendyk, and Bourque were such horrible options.

Sometimes you've just got to tip your cap to the opposing goaltender. Hasek was in his prime at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
may have been the greatest of all time, but it doesn't change the fact that this was 1998, not 1988.
Target shooting, the event that counts for nothing where you stand still and shoot? What does that have to do with shootouts?

Yes those other options were not bad, but they still aren't Wayne Gretzky. Wayne had 90 points in 1997-98 and 97 points the year before, more than Fleury, Shanahan, Lindros, Nieuwendyk and of course Bourque. To say he was at the "end of his career" is stupid because he was better than all of them at that time too.

Whether he is a playmaker or not does not negate the fact he's the smartest player ever and had the best chance to beat Hasek.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Target shooting, the event that counts for nothing where you stand still and shoot? What does that have to do with shootouts?

Yes those other options were not bad, but they still aren't Wayne Gretzky. Wayne had 90 points in 1997-98 and 97 points the year before, more than Fleury, Shanahan, Lindros, Nieuwendyk and of course Bourque. To say he was at the "end of his career" is stupid because he was better than all of them at that time too.

Whether he is a playmaker or not does not negate the fact he's the smartest player ever and had the best chance to beat Hasek.
Even if Gretz was the smartest hockey player ever, (highly debatable) that would have very little to do with beating Hasek who was a ****ing machine. The best way to beat him was to pick a spot and snipe it. Bourque was a better choice under that circumstance.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Points? Come on now! You can't set up goals in a shootout. You're really spin doctoring your argument. Gretzky only had 23 goals that season. Four of those shooters had more goals than Gretzky that season and were in their prime years. They were all back with Canada in 2002 to win Gold. The other choice was a defenceman and had the most accurate shot on the team.

Gretzky was no longer a goal scorer at that point in his career and I hate to bring up him being bad on breakaways but everyone in hockey knew this.

You can argue that Crawford should have picked Gretzky even though the stats and trends suggest otherwise but that's your perogative. However, to say Crawford shouldn't be considered for the Habs job because of a debatable shootout selection is assinine. Completely assinine.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
habtastic

There should probably be another thread about the whole Gretzky thing, but my two cents is that
1) cannot blame Crawford for THAT of all things. If Gretzky wanted to go, he would have said so. It's a freaking shootout and at that time they were rare. Came at a time when the "forsberg" was created.
2) I remember an all star skills comp when it was the shooters on breakaways and Gretzky scored several times in a row, just like Mario and it was so evident that he was great at reading the goalie and altering his speed + changing the range of his stick and knowing how far to reach out or pull back before placing his shot (not much of a pavel bure deeker type).

so, I don't blame Crawford for not putting him in the shootout (all Hasek) , but I do think 99 was a good breakaway player even until the end (if it was in fact a penalty shot, not a literal breakaway, where he would probably be too slow)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Gretzky said it himself he wasn't good at it and this was at the end of his career.

People need to get over that. Canada didn't lose because of Crawford, they lost because of Hasek and because the Czech Republic was simply the best team in the tournament.

Why do people think it's a slam dunk that Canada should've won? Heck, they didn't even get a medal, so they clearly weren't the best.

It's actually funny, I thought Pat Quinn did a worst job with his gold winning team. He was an idiot for putting a much lesser goaltender in Joseph instead of a proven champion in Brodeur and he stuck way too long with his pet goalie. Difference that year is the players really wanted it.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Points? Come on now! You can't set up goals in a shootout. You're really spin doctoring your argument. Gretzky only had 23 goals that season. Four of those shooters had more goals than Gretzky that season and were in their prime years. They were all back with Canada in 2002 to win Gold. The other choice was a defenceman and had the most accurate shot on the team.

Gretzky was no longer a goal scorer at that point in his career and I hate to bring up him being bad on breakaways but everyone in hockey knew this.

You can argue that Crawford should have picked Gretzky even though the stats and trends suggest otherwise but that's your perogative. However, to say Crawford shouldn't be considered for the Habs job because of a debatable shootout selection is assinine. Completely assinine.
not to mention it was 11 ****ing years ago lol

Old
05-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Difference that year is the players really wanted it.
beyond that, the Canadian team simply had pure luck in 02. Belarus defeating Sweden meant that Canada would go untested into the final while the US and Russians beat the hell out of each other (including Tkachuk breaking his leg on a dirty knee on knee from Kasper).