HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

QF GDT 5/7 Canada 4, Latvia 2

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Canadians in regulation, by more than 4.5 goals 10 31.25%
Canadians in regulation, by less than 4.5 goals 18 56.25%
Canadians in OT/shootout 1 3.13%
Latvians in regulation 2 6.25%
Latvians in OT/shootout 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but was that when the judge had serious connections with media outlets, thus very bias, and gave hard sentences to the people behind it?

Anyway, strong game from Latvia. Deep down, I was hoping they'd take it to OT (and lose, of course), because they put forth a hell of an effort and their goaltender is out of this world.
Yeah, the judges were biased, since all the showbiz is behind that.

If you look on statistics like SOG 48 : 23, then no. I knew Latvia was going to lose. The task was to "lose honourably". It was probably too much asked for another miracle. Canada is currently unbeatable for Latvia. Plain and simple.

Like Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
v-man

I honestly think Latvia would have been better off not having the power plays at the end of the game. They played much better 5 on 5. Znarok's attention to power plays during practices and the lack of execution thereafter during games showed his usefulness as a coach. The fact that he let the sieve Sotnieks play over Arturs Kulda also speaks volumes to his lack of skill assessment and ability to put personal biases beyond what's best for the team. Hopefully he won't make the same mistake for the Olympics, if given the chance.

v-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:05 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Dear Sens

Love your forwards!

That is all...

Canada.

PS - Phillips sucks
thanks, and

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Cheli

TSN extended highlights (6+ mins instead of ~2):

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
dawis

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Anyway, strong game from Latvia. Deep down, I was hoping they'd take it to OT (and lose, of course), because they put forth a hell of an effort and their goaltender is out of this world.

I think I know how you feel. There is a need inside each one of us to feel for those who fight really hard for an unlikely goal! This was one such example. I think we Latvians are lucky to have good enough team to play in TOP division, but not so good that we can know hat we will win any game 95%.
Of course it is good to have good team, but some of the fun is gone once you are visibly better than most of the others. Part of the fun in sports is not knowing and competition and nothing can replace unlikely hard fought victory..
When we won Swedes this year many smiled at us that we were so happy as if we had won the whole tournament. But in fact I think we were more happy than Canada winning WC cup. and it is not even illogical - Canada wins WC gold every other year (or almost), but we won the Swedes for first time.. We won a team, that is good enough to take WC gold.. We have less hockey players than Canada has skating rinks, but we gave them a good fight in quarterfinals.. Watching the last 5 minutes of LAT - CAN game I could not have been more excited and proud - to play 5 minutes against CAN without a goalie - that is something to remember.. ( BTW - That was the first time ever I saw 6 against 3 field players on such game)

Of course wining gold is objectively better achievement, but if you get it so often some of the fun is gone..

Victory is much more enjoyable when you have to fight for it hard against very unlikely odds.. That is why we like such films as 300 spartians, and that is why I am happy to be latvian and team Latvia supporter.. even though Spartians died in the end and even though Latvia may lose much more often than Canada, but the fight itself is almost allways worth it..

When Latvia is not playing then my favorite team is Finnland or Slovakia for much the same reasons. Slovakia because they are small nation like us, and do not have much top level players, but still have enough to upset anyone. And Finland - well you can't not know history and not admire Finnish people.. During WWII they did not surrender to Soviet Russia and defended their freedom.. That very same spirit continue to live in hockey they play.

For these reasons I am almost waiting when Estonia and probably some day Greece too will join TOP division

Last edited by dawis: 05-08-2009 at 08:33 AM.
dawis is offline   Reply With Quote