HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

head coach and language

Old
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Anksun

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The point is TO TAKE THE BEST ONE AVAILABLE, no matter the language.
Even if i believe the habs coach need to speak french, i surely can live with that sentence...

However, if the best answer to the: "Name me an unilingual coach who's ahead of the bilingual ones right now", you can comes up with is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Maybe Lever.
It's just not going to cut it.

bilingual coach for me.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
Even if i believe the habs coach need to speak french, i surely can live with that sentence...

However, if the best answer to the: "Name me an unilingual coach who's ahead of the bilingual ones right now", you can comes up with is:

It's just not going to cut it.

bilingual coach for me.

Maybe that's because you haven't seen Lever coach and don't know what he's capable of?

And I was only giving an example. Our evaluation is based on SO less than what Gainey knows about the candidates. We don't know who's on top of his list. And who knew before last week that Robinson was interested and would be a candidate. We only base ourselves on what the media pounds on us day after day. Yet I'll let Gainey make his evaluation way before I'll listen to the media and the fans' evaluation as they know not even half of what Gainey knows on who's available and who would be a better fit. And I'm sure Gainey's first priority is competence (this time around). That's my point.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
And what if he's French and ends up doing a ****ty job?
I don't understand your question. What happen when a coach sucks? He's fired. Why would it be any different this time? All coaches end up sucking anyway ;-)
Quote:
Also, Boivin said this, yet he's not the head of hockey management, he will lose Gainey if he imposes a choice. Gainey will tell him he has a list of his top choices, and if the one at the top of the list happens to know just a bit of French (like Lever does) then he'll pick the one at the top of his list. Or else Gainey will tell Boivin to find someone else for GM. That's how Gainey works. He's the only one making the final decisions on hockey operations. What happened with Carbo was probably Gainey's decision, one that he was forced into, not by upper management decision, but by upper management NEEDS. They told him what they wanted in terms of immediate goals, and asked him if Carbo could right the ship. Gainey saw that he probably had no other choice then to fire Carbo.
Yeah, whatever.
Quote:
My point is, its not Boivin who makes the final decisions on hockey operations. From day one, Gainey made it clear he was the leader on board when it came to the team's personel management. Boivin was only doing the PR thing when he made that comment (he had to, with all the vultures trying to take a punch at the Habs).
I don't care if Boivin or Gainey ends up making the "final decision", that's not the point. I just don't think it is reasonable to expect the habs to select a non-french speaking coach, or a least an english speaking one who shows he is extremely interested to learn french (I think that's what happened with Crawford when he got hired by the Nords). Sure it's possible but I just don't see it happening this time, and that's what I meant when I said people are setuping themselves for disapointment.

Quote:
What will happen is that Gainey will chose the one on top of his list, and that candidate will either know French, or will learn it, but he will still chose the best one possible in his mind. People should understand this before setting expectations like hiring Hartley or Roy.
But the guy will either know french or be very motivated to learn it quickly. Which goes back to what I've been saying.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote