HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

110% last night, Canadiens no longer up for sale!

Old
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
ScottFC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
in the supposed plan, molson would sell their part.
From what I heard yesterday they said that if necessary and that if Molson wanted to then they would sell their shares of the montreal canadiens but not long ago I remember hearing that Molson confirmed they wanted to keep their shares even if gillete sold, i doubt they would sell anywayz, theres no liability and they just receive a check in the bank every now & then

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
ScottFC

Oh yeah the fat old poutine on the show said that they where ready to finance UP TO 49% if necessary but that if let's say Gillette only wanted to sell 10 or 20 or 30% they would also.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferreira123 View Post
Oh yeah the fat old poutine on the show said that they where ready to finance UP TO 49% if necessary but that if let's say Gillette only wanted to sell 10 or 20 or 30% they would also.
I'm hungry!

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
marchabsfan

anyway the %s are just speculation. the big news is that MAYBE georgie has found someone to keep him there...

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
anyone else watch 110% last night ? I can't remember his name right now but the fat, old guy on the show was saying how he had a very good/reliable source that confirms George Gillette is keeping the team. He also said that there was an agreement that if ever Gilette ad financial troubles and needed to sell the team the SSQ ( I think, I'm not 100% sure, it could be another provincial organisation ) would be willing to buy up to 49% of Gilettes shares. He also said that they would remain silent partners and would have no control over any of the hockey decisions and all they would ask for is to be able to have a say on the finances.

I didn't hear much of it because I was flipping between Beauchemins interview on anti-chambre and 110% but I guess this means that the Montreal Canadiens ownership issue is gone and that Bob Gainey is going to Remain GM.

Just incase I missheard any of this yesterday, did anyone else watch it last night ??
You have a way with words, are you like 12 ?

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:19 AM
la25ecoupe

Man.. i always thought Gillet is the guy who owns the rasoir business...

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Man.. i always thought Gillet is the guy who owns the rasoir business...
Are you serious?

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He was a good owner for the Habs but now he has to sell and sell soon for the good of the team. I don't want somebody that's gonna owe money left and right, who's not going to afford giving players contracts. Gillet owes everybody money in all his businesses and is trying to weasel his way out of it by finding a partner or partners that will be willing to inject money and not own anything themselves and not a lot of people will be willing to do that. For instance, nobody is going to inject big bucks and just looking at the parade; those that are going to pay will want to have a say in the decisions. And the only way to do that is by owning the entire club. If I was the Quebec goverment I would FORCE him to sell and soon.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If I was the Quebec goverment I would FORCE him to sell and soon.
Thank God you're not the government then.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
He was a good owner for the Habs but now he has to sell and sell soon for the good of the team. I don't want somebody that's gonna owe money left and right, who's not going to afford giving players contracts. Gillet owes everybody money in all his businesses and is trying to weasel his way out of it by finding a partner or partners that will be willing to inject money and not own anything themselves and not a lot of people will be willing to do that. For instance, nobody is going to inject big bucks and just looking at the parade; those that are going to pay will want to have a say in the decisions. And the only way to do that is by owning the entire club. If I was the Quebec goverment I would FORCE him to sell and soon.

if George ever does sell i reallly hope he sellls it too a Russian owner

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:53 AM
nnynetpotato

but he'll move the team to Siberia!!!!

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I think that reading that news might bring a smile to a lot of faces. Yes, the populace that embraces the truly absurd would love this.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
If I was the Quebec goverment I would FORCE him to sell and soon.
You can't do that. It's a private entreprise. If I was the owner, I would tell you to go **** yourself. Probably literally too.

You can't tell a business owner who hasn't done anything wrong whatsoever what to do.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
This isn't the old Soviet Union for craps sake, how old are you anyway ?

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
onice

Quote:

Did I fall asleep for a decade or two? When did we separate and become a fascist state?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Are you a communist? What right does any government have to order a man with a private holding to dispose of it at it's whim in your strange world?

Not once did we not spend right up to the cap since he's been the owner so why do you make it seem like our payroll is going to drop to $20M because he owes money? All businessmen are having trouble finding liquidity even though they have assets that contain equity. There's no difference between him and 99% of business owners at this time.

Money will loosen up soon because the markets are indicating slight recovery and are steady. This will all be old news by next season. Aside from the financial aspect of this short term issue for Gillett he has been a great owner. Keeps his nose out of operations, puts good people in charge and spends a lot of money on the team. Name one potential owner that is guaranteed 100% to behave the same way.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I see that GG's partner in crime seems to be in the same, as I read that Hicks is selling a stake in the stars and his mlb team. Looks like both need to free up cash with their loans to liverpool coming due.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Just another inane post from a disgruntled ex-NO DICKs fan.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Turboflex*

The best part of this thread is the troglodytes who come in just to flame Gainey when it has zero to do with that.

People will get "infractions" for calling them idiots, but they can post trash hi-jack posts with impunity. Mods really need to step in and give warnings for off-topic, no content hi-jacks cuz this board is detiorating quickly, I think rds.ca and other trash forums are leaking into here.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:11 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
The best part of this thread is the troglodytes who come in just to flame Gainey when it has zero to do with that.

People will get "infractions" for calling them idiots, but they can post trash hi-jack posts with impunity. Mods really need to step in and give warnings for off-topic, no content hi-jacks cuz this board is detiorating quickly, I think rds.ca and other trash forums are leaking into here.
Calm down Man, It's just a Board! the only reason you come on here is to hear different Point of View from different people let them talk and if it annoys you that much, just skip to the next Post !!

Old
05-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Calm down Man, It's just a Board! the only reason you come on here is to hear different Point of View from different people let them talk and if it annoys you that much, just skip to the next Post !!
No it's for hockey discussion not to just see "lulz gainey is dumb, price sux" in every thread.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
No it's for hockey discussion not to just see "lulz gainey is dumb, price sux" in every thread.
That's where you are wrong - you assume that this is a forum for reasonable and informed discussions about the sport of hockey. Everyone knows it's just another internet option for frustrated individuals to vent their hate and anger under the cover of anonimity.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
That's where you are wrong - you assume that this is a forum for reasonable and informed discussions about the sport of hockey. Everyone knows it's just another internet option for frustrated individuals to vent their hate and anger under the cover of anonimity.
Agreed, We're definitely not on Tsn's experts Panel, this is for everyday fans who would like to express their feelings towards their team

Old
05-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Newhabfan

I should really start using the emote more often - I keep being surprised.

Just as a clarification - my previous post was intended as sarcasm. Though it pains me to admit it might reflect reality.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Are you a communist? What right does any government have to order a man with a private holding to dispose of it at it's whim in your strange world?

Not once did we not spend right up to the cap since he's been the owner so why do you make it seem like our payroll is going to drop to $20M because he owes money? All businessmen are having trouble finding liquidity even though they have assets that contain equity. There's no difference between him and 99% of business owners at this time.

Money will loosen up soon because the markets are indicating slight recovery and are steady. This will all be old news by next season. Aside from the financial aspect of this short term issue for Gillett he has been a great owner. Keeps his nose out of operations, puts good people in charge and spends a lot of money on the team. Name one potential owner that is guaranteed 100% to behave the same way.
This province and it's excessive taxation rate sure seem to be. TAXES are the number one reason why UFAs won't sign here. The rest is all smoke and mirrors. Blame the fans, blame the media but when it comes right down to it, it's the net money the player will receive after taxes and agent fees etc that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
This province and it's excessive taxation rate sure seem to be. TAXES are the number one reason why UFAs won't sign here. The rest is all smoke and mirrors. Blame the fans, blame the media but when it comes right down to it, it's the net money the player will receive after taxes and agent fees etc that matters.
GREED rules all in Bettman's NHL. It's all about the money.

Quote:
No it's for hockey discussion not to just see "lulz gainey is slow, price sux" in every thread.
We'll stop if they can prove us wrong.

Last edited by montreal: 05-08-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote