HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Ideas

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Offseason Ideas

I know everyone has been high on getting some big name FA defenseman like Bouw or Ohlund, but I was thinking along the lower end of the scale. Maybe the middle end. Whatever, anyways, i've been impressed so far with someone like Beauchemin from Anaheim. Not over the top, not a monster of a d-man, but a steady vet presence for some youngsters to work with here.

Lets make that the theme of the thread. Avoid the big names, the Ohlunds and Charas (I know hes not a FA), Komisareks, etc. Who do we think could be a good, sub-3 mil defenseman?

Old
05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
I know everyone has been high on getting some big name FA defenseman like Bouw or Ohlund, but I was thinking along the lower end of the scale. Maybe the middle end. Whatever, anyways, i've been impressed so far with someone like Beauchemin from Anaheim. Not over the top, not a monster of a d-man, but a steady vet presence for some youngsters to work with here.

Lets make that the theme of the thread. Avoid the big names, the Ohlunds and Charas (I know hes not a FA), Komisareks, etc. Who do we think could be a good, sub-3 mil defenseman?
I totally agree about Beauchemin, he is the guy I have been thinking would fit in well too. I think Ohlund will cost too much and im not so impressed by him, never been.

05-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

I wouldn't even want Komisarek at all really.

Beauchemin is a good name, Hal Gill could teach Mihalik how to use his size.

I wouldn't mind Paul Mara coming back, should be cheap but an improvement.

A player I always liked who should come at the minimum or close to it is Ossi Vaananen. 29 years old with 11 points in 49 games so not a scorer but physical and doesn't forget about his own zone.

He was a waiver wire pickup though so the Lightning already had a chance to select him and passed so I doubt there will be any interest now but there are worse options as a 6th or 7th defenseman.

Same with Rob Scuderi, 30 years old with 15 points in 81 games last year, plays a very simple defensive first game. Shouldn't make too much over the minimum though people probably said the same thing for Jeff Finger last year.

I'm with BBM though. With Smaby, Lashoff, Lundin, Hedman potentially, Meszaros, Ranger, Krajicek, Mihalik, Wishart and Quick our defense isn't as horrible as people think. We have a very solid though young core that was decimated by injuries and bad coaching. Rather than spending alot of money on a Bouwmeester or Ohlund we can fill empty spots with a defensive responsible vet at 25% of the cost of Bouwmeester.

Old
05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I don't much care for Komisarek. We already have one penalty machine in R2, we don't need another.

Old
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Tokala

Bieksa has been a nasty, SOB for Vancouver in the playoffs. I'm not aware of his contract/free agency status, but I've liked what he's done for Vancouver against the Blackhawks.

Old
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
I don't much care for Komisarek. We already have one penalty machine in R2, we don't need another.
I wouldn't pay anything over 3.25 but I know some team is going to give up 5.5 to 6 for him.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Also agreed that Beauchemin is a guy we could really use.

Should the top end defensemen UFA's go elsewhere, Adrian Aucoin would probably be a good stopgap for first pairing D. Patrice Briesbois might have to sign elsewhere if Gainey has decided to it's time to move in a new direction.

Derek Morris will probably be out of our price range, though he could be had as a lesser alternative to Ohlund.

I like Jordan Leopold, but he gets injured way too damn much. Kurtis Foster is also a big gamble.

Martin Skoula seems to be Brian Lawton's type. If we're still trying to be "puck possession", Martin has a very long panic point. Puck poise, if you will. If B-Law doesn't make a move on him, I'll shove any item you care to name, inside myself. Ville Koistinen or Thomas Pock could be plan C.

I haven't heard anything about Erik Cole or Petr Sykora resigning recently. Since Cole got sent back to Carolina, I think he'll stay there as long as they'll have him. Sykora doesn't seem out of reach though.

Mikael Samuelsson is also scheduled to be available, though it might be difficult to pry him away from Detroit. Edmonton's Ales Kotalik on the other hand...

Mike Knuble would be my backup plan for top 6 forward. Ruslan Fedotenko might also be had for less.

Mike Smith's condition worries me. He's still overcoming a concussion, so I'd definitely be in favor of signing a guy who can handle some games, but could still pass through waivers. (Mikael Tellqvist, Fredrik Norrena, Kevin Weekes, Manny Legace, Curtis Sanford)

Johnny Boychuk is coming up on group VI UFA. Depending on how the offseason plays out, he might be a good pickup for a 3rd pairing defensive-defenseman. Only 24 y.o. and a good team guy. Might also be good to have for Norfolk.

Closed Thread