HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Antropov the solution?

View Poll Results: How much would you spend for Antropov? (1 year)
3 millions 22 14.01%
4 millions 44 28.03%
5 millions 4 2.55%
6 millions 1 0.64%
more than 6 millions 4 2.55%
I do not want Antropov 82 52.23%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Habs12max

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Won't be as good as Lang was for us this season.

If Lang started skating in the first round this year after his injury, it probably means he'll come back for at least one last season, and seeing how he is much better defensively than antropov, is right handed, is big even though not as big as Antropov, produces as much points and even more, and will cost less to retain for one season and wants to play here, whereas we're talking of taking Antropov for one season, than I would definetly keep Lang instead as he knows the team, the youngsters and showed some leadership with the team (and the team went down the crapper when HE left because of a freak injury.
Oh and lang is done. This season, he gave everything he had left in the tank.

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
I don't get some of the crazy hate.

As a Ranger fan I can tell you that he was an awesome pickup for us.
I really like the rangers too and that's why I'm trying to tell them, but he played for the LEAFS and people here think he stinks.

And I don't know if you agree with me but there are a bunch of players that are lazier than him.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:40 PM
paulster2626

Oh you want him! He is a MONSTER!!!

Give him $6million++++ whatever he wants. Nik the Stick is your answer!

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Dark4ng3l

Quote:
I don't get some of the crazy hate.

As a Ranger fan I can tell you that he was an awesome pickup for us.
He's a leaf.....

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Oh you want him! He is a MONSTER!!!

Give him $6million++++ whatever he wants. Nik the Stick is your answer!
Well he helped is team making the playoff and couldn't do it with the leaf's crappy team, I'm sure grabovski will be a better bargain, or maybe JASON BLAKE lol, how much do you pay this grinder again?

Or we can talk about jeff Finger. Great player, worth the money.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
He's a leaf.....
So? How old are you?
If a good player is available you take him... period.

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Rocket Jr.

If he's the answer, why did the Leafs let him go for a 2nd round pick.

Rocket Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Jr. View Post
If he's the answer, why did the Leafs let him go for a 2nd round pick.
Impending free agent who was almost definitely not going to resign with them.

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

4 millions would be my answer. Those who act like if he was a poor player make me laugh.
He is a big body, an offensive player, who can play it physical sometimes even if he's not the meanest guy on the ice. He's hard to contain on the forecheck. He just had a 59 points season, including 28 goals with a poor Leafs team for the main part of the season. That would have put him first in the Habs for goals scored. He's still relatively young (29 years old), and even though he isn't exactly what I would call a "leader" or a consistency example, he's a good offensive player bringing some elements we sorely lack.

I'd be willing to give him a 3 years contract worth 12M.(3,5M first year, 4M second year, 4,5M third year) Stop snobbing about every single UFA, there's a big bunch of them who could improve our top-6.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
his size brings a lot more than some people may think. He had a 60 points season and play with way more passion than in is maple leaf days... I don't get why you laugh at the 5 million offer, because Antropov won't get less than 4 millions.

On foward, he is one of the best UFA, that's why we will be overpay.

3 millions for Antropov isn't even a possibility.
Since his Leaf days? He just left them at the deadline. So should we look at his many years with the leafs? or his brief stint with the Rangers?

Saying that I would take him as a second line center, 4m sounds steep though.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Crystal Met

he's like plan Z at best.

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Oh and lang is done. This season, he gave everything he had left in the tank.
And you say that because of what? How can you prove this?

His injury is not even old age/health related. It was a freak accident that could happen to anyone, no matter the age.

Also, he isn't done as he seemed to have it in his mind that he's capable of coming back (as he said he would most definetly come back with the Habs if they offer a contract).

So I think Lang is better suited to know what he has left in the tank, rather than some schmoe over the internet who concludes this on the basis of nothing much.

Rather, what he has done this season showed that he could still play an excellent game, without the speed he used to have. This means he probably could play 2-3 more years if he wanted to.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

You guys are really clueless. Would you rather have D'Agostini as our best sniper next year? Well some of you sure look like they would prefer having a shot at Hall next year. You remind me Gainey when he said that there was no way to improve his roster at the trade deadline with the current market.

Antropov would be an immediate upgrade on Higgins, D'Agostini, Latendresse, Pacioretty, S. Kostitsyn, and even maybe A. Kostitsyn. Yet you're acting like if he was the second coming of Niinimaa.

I wish you would stop looking for homeruns and be realistic. We have to fill the roster, not only with star players, but with players who can fit certain roles on the team. And Antropov sure brings some elements we lack.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Habs12max

I totally agree with you, but we are on a montreal canadien forum.

Some people are just casual Montreal canadien fans.

Some people think that because they watch the habs play means they know HOCKEY.

And a few people are Hockey fans that would actually watch every team and like hockey, not just that Habs and la maison de maxime Lapierre.

Oh and some people here are just groupie too.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
For $3M maybe if no other option is available but for the most part I would not want him here.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
For $3M maybe if no other option is available but for the most part I would not want him here.
I'd like those who answer this way to at least support their thoughts with an argument or two...

Old
05-08-2009, 01:24 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
I totally agree with you, but we are on a montreal canadien forum.

Some people are just casual Montreal canadien fans.

Some people think that because they watch the habs play means they know HOCKEY.

And a few people are Hockey fans that would actually watch every team and like hockey, not just that Habs and la maison de maxime Lapierre.

Oh and some people here are just groupie too.
Please. You're out to lunch. Antropov is not worth wasting cap space on. He just screams "waste of money." You seem to be pretty infatuated with size, but I'm not. There's no put throwing cap space down the toilet on this guy. Glen Sather saw good "potential" in Wade Redden, too. Goes to show you how good his talent judging ability is. Not to mention it proves my point. You don't sign these kinds of guys. Where was Antropov when the Rangers needed him? He didn't do anything to boost an anemic offense.

The point isn't to sign just anyone. You build winning teams by picking the right pieces. Antropov got the Rangers no further than the first round, same as a completely depleted Habs team. It's not his fault the Rangers weren't good, but he didn't make them better in any way. I watched the series and the best Rags were Avery and Dubinsky. Both small guys. Antropov? nowhere to be found.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Please. You're out to lunch. Antropov is not worth wasting cap space on. He just screams "waste of money." You seem to be pretty infatuated with size, but I'm not. There's no put throwing cap space down the toilet on this guy. Glen Sather saw good "potential" in Wade Redden, too. Goes to show you how good his talent judging ability is. Not to mention it proves my point. You don't sign these kinds of guys. Where was Antropov when the Rangers needed him? He didn't do anything to boost an anemic offense.

The point isn't to sign just anyone. You build winning teams by picking the right pieces. Antropov got the Rangers no further than the first round, same as a completely depleted Habs team. It's not his fault the Rangers weren't good, but he didn't make them better in any way. I watched the series and the best Rags were Avery and Dubinsky. Both small guys. Antropov? nowhere to be found.
Dubinsky isn't even a small guy he is 6 ''1 .

And he was on a line with Avery and Antropov and they were the best line out there, Being in the offensive zone most of the time.

Anyway, I don't like to argue with most of you since your opinion is quite biased. Gm's are paid a lot of money to sign players and Antropov will be a target of choice for most of them. I don't get why you guys in front of your computer think that you know hockey when you say antropov at 3 millions. It's not even possible, because the UFA market is about big money, and be sure that he will get big money. If you don't want to spend big money, you end up with players like smolinsky or maybe steve sullivan this year. We have plenty of cap space, we can afford to give some money to some good free agents.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

But, but, but, he scored a goal in that series...!!!

ON a lucky rebound that went right smack on his stick.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanator76 View Post
I'd like those who answer this way to at least support their thoughts with an argument or two...
Antropov contributed nothing to the Rangers in the playoffs. He didn't improve their anemic offense. Avery, Dubinsky, Callahan and even a hurt Drury looked better than him.

Antropov has a long injury history and a history of inconsistency.

You don't just sign any free agent to build a good team. You pick the right ones. Antropov is not somebody to waste your money on. He isn't homegrown and, unless he comes cheap, he just isn't worth it.

Antropov is also primarily a winger. He best plays best on the wing, and the Habs are looking for a true center.

Sure, he's big and has skill, but there are other free agents out there I would be way before Antropov. And I would pick smaller guys, too. Size doesn't make a ******* difference if you're an inferior player. Cammalleri, Havlat, Sedins, Gaborik, Koivu, Lang, Fedorov, Tanguay, Cole, Hossa, Kovalev, Sullivan, Gionta, Knuble.

Antropov is like Plan Z. He's big, but look at Sykora. A good, talented winger doing jack **** in the playoffs right now. Let's go another direction.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Dubinsky isn't even a small guy he is 6 ''1 .

And he was on a line with Avery and Antropov and they were the best line out there, Being in the offensive zone most of the time.
Dubinsky is definitely not 6-1. I know he's listed at that size, but when you see him, he's not that big.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Antropov contributed nothing to the Rangers in the playoffs. He didn't improve their anemic offense. Avery, Dubinsky, Callahan and even a hurt Drury looked better than him.

Antropov has a long injury history and a history of inconsistency.

You don't just sign any free agent to build a good team. You pick the right ones. Antropov is not somebody to waste your money on. He isn't homegrown and, unless he comes cheap, he just isn't worth it.

Antropov is also primarily a winger. He best plays best on the wing, and the Habs are looking for a true center.

Sure, he's big and has skill, but there are other free agents out there I would be way before Antropov. And I would pick smaller guys, too. Size doesn't make a ******* difference if you're an inferior player. Cammalleri, Havlat, Sedins, Gaborik, Koivu, Lang, Fedorov, Tanguay, Cole, Hossa, Kovalev, Sullivan, Gionta, Knuble.

Antropov is like Plan Z. He's big, but look at Sykora. A good, talented winger doing jack **** in the playoffs right now. Let's go another direction.
Havlat and Gaborik are always hurt. Sykora is like every fowards on the team. Camalleri is something interesting I admit.
Fedorov too if he comes cheap.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Rocket Jr.

Quote:
Impending free agent who was almost definitely not going to resign with them.
Antropov is a surfer, not a bad player, not a top player and he has a tendency to disappear when the going gets though, that is why the Leafs let him go, not like the where abundant with possible #1 centerman, they had to many 2nd and 3rd line centermen who could do the job cheaper than an upcoming UFA. Right now we are looking for a #1 center, not a 2nd or 3rd line center. Why spend 4-5M and cap space on him before we fill our #1 center spot, while our #2 and #3 centers are already under contract.

Rocket Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Kikizaz

My suggestion:

Martin Havlat. a good forward who can play D.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:

Actually, nobody said Antropov had to be the go-to guy. But to a team as small and physically weak as ours, he sure would be welcome on my team. Great complement guy.