HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Antropov the solution?

View Poll Results: How much would you spend for Antropov? (1 year)
3 millions 22 14.01%
4 millions 44 28.03%
5 millions 4 2.55%
6 millions 1 0.64%
more than 6 millions 4 2.55%
I do not want Antropov 82 52.23%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2009, 12:40 PM
evilstanley

vCash: 500
tender-lappy-antropov would be a decent 3rd line...

i refuse to pay nik the stick more than 3.5M

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Brett38

I would take him, but not as our number one center.

Lecavalier

Antropov or Lang

Lapierre

Metropolit or Chipchura

Sorry, no Saku or Plekanic(sp).

Yes, I still believe we can make a run for Vinny before July 1. Possibly at the Draft.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
Havlat and Gaborik are always hurt. Sykora is like every fowards on the team. Camalleri is something interesting I admit.
Fedorov too if he comes cheap.
Martin Havlat played 81 games this season and notched 77 points. This guy is a gamebreaker, something Antropov is not. He scored the GTG for Chicago in their biggest game of the year yesterday, and got an assist on the GWG. He was all over the ice creating scoring chances. Havlat scored both the GTG and the GWG against the Flames in Game 1. He set the tone for Chicago in the series.

Havlat plays in both ends. Sure, he might get hurt, but at least this will open up cap space. Antropov will sit on your team and do nothing.

Gaborik? Well, he's definitely a risk, but there is an upside to him that Antropov can't even come close to rivalling. We're talking about a top 10 goalscorer here. Top 5 possibly. 13 goals in 17 games. I would throw him an offer well before contacting Antropov.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanator76 View Post
Actually, nobody said Antropov had to be the go-to guy. But to a team as small and physically weak as ours, he sure would be welcome on my team. Great complement guy.
Great complement guy? He doesn't create anything. You just want him because he's big. Personally, I don't think size means jack. Parise is a thousand times the player Antropov is.

And I would go for a smaller guy who puts in the effort and plays a strong two-way game like Gionta way before I look at Antropov.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Habs12max

It's not true that I just want him because he is big. I want him because he creates things on the ice, he is not a gamebreaker but is talented and as a second line center he would be awesome. OH and he shoots the puck a lot.

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
It's not true that I just want him because he is big. I want him because he creates things on the ice, he is not a gamebreaker but is talented and as a second line center he would be awesome. OH and he shoots the puck a lot.
He does not create anything. He bums his goals off other people. He doesn't play a smart game. See the guy in my av? You should be looking for players like him. Two way player who plays in all game situations. Plays the point on the PP. Good on the PK. Good speed and good hands. A player you can always trust.

This isn't what Antropov is. You should only make smart UFA signings, not just sign any guy.

Somebody like Cammalleri might be smaller, but he has a history of not only producing but just being a better player. Cammalleri has a knack for goal scoring and he has great playmaking ability that is completely underrated.

There is just nothing that screams "APPEALING" about Antropov other than his size.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Firstimeandshy*

oh and he gets scored on alot ! Woo Hoo Antropov the Habs next saviour !!!!

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
He does not create anything. He bums his goals off other people. He doesn't play a smart game. See the guy in my av? You should be looking for players like him. Two way player who plays in all game situations. Plays the point on the PP. Good on the PK. Good speed and good hands. A player you can always trust.

This isn't what Antropov is. You should only make smart UFA signings, not just sign any guy.

Somebody like Cammalleri might be smaller, but he has a history of not only producing but just being a better player. Cammalleri has a knack for goal scoring and he has great playmaking ability that is completely underrated.

There is just nothing that screams "APPEALING" about Antropov other than his size.
You seem to know hockey but I just ton agree with you on Antropov. He his a great puckhandler and good passing + powerfull shot. I don't want him to be my first line center, but on a second line he should be great.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Go Habs Go

He's a crappy Eric Daze. No thanks. Big, tall, soft, no heart. After Sundin, he was the man but he certainly didn't show it.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Stradale

he is a solution to replace Plekanec.

I would have no problem with Antropov playing on the 2nd line at 3.5-4M$.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
You seem to know hockey but I just ton agree with you on Antropov. He his a great puckhandler and good passing + powerfull shot. I don't want him to be my first line center, but on a second line he should be great.
I watched him closely when he was playing against the Caps, and I was not impressed. I'm not sure what to make of his time in Toronto. Toronto's forwards sometimes look better than they should and playing with no expectations can help. Look at Dominic Moore. Even a guy like Tucker can have a good year with Leafs.

Toronto is a mess, and everybody knows that. Some players thrive on having this sort of confusion. Nothing's expected of them. Winning isn't a priority. If Antropov was playing for a guy like Hitchcock, he'd be crucified. Also, just an FYI: Antropov is really a winger, not a center. He plays mostly on the wing.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Habs12max

I said 5 millions but i meant that this is the maximum I would be willing to pay for antropov. 4.5 would be ok, 4 would be really good.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38 View Post
I would take him, but not as our number one center.

Lecavalier

Antropov or Lang

Lapierre

Metropolit or Chipchura

Sorry, no Saku or Plekanic(sp).

Yes, I still believe we can make a run for Vinny before July 1. Possibly at the Draft.
I'd take both Saku and Pleks before Antropov and Lang.

Lang was the 3rd C last year, how does he leapfrog the others. Did he magically find Ponce de Leon' fountain of youth. Does his injury of this year help him skate better and faster than the pace he was at last year. No. He is on his last leg now. Not much left in him.

Antropov, just look at all the cons that people listed. Then tell me when was the last time this guy played center. He didn't in NY. Drury-Gomez-Dubinsky. Those were the centers. In TO this year, Dominic Moore was his center and Poni was the other winger. THe 2 or 3 years before, he had Sundin for a center. Before the lockout, he had Nieuwendyk for a couple of years. This guy probably hasn't played center since he came in the league.

And he's a big floater.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post

Lang was the 3rd C last year, how does he leapfrog the others. Did he magically find Ponce de Leon' fountain of youth. Does his injury of this year help him skate better and faster than the pace he was at last year. No. He is on his last leg now. Not much left in him.

Antropov, just look at all the cons that people listed. Then tell me when was the last time this guy played center. He didn't in NY. Drury-Gomez-Dubinsky. Those were the centers. In TO this year, Dominic Moore was his center and Poni was the other winger. THe 2 or 3 years before, he had Sundin for a center. Before the lockout, he had Nieuwendyk for a couple of years. This guy probably hasn't played center since he came in the league.

And he's a big floater.
Exactly. The people who want him don't even realize he rarely plays center.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post

And he's a big floater.
A floater do not get 60 points. And he can do better for sure.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Habs12max

Quote:
Exactly. The people who want him don't even realize he rarely plays center.
even at wing he is interesting.He brings something different to the team.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I think most everybody will agree, let's try and go after Camalleri first.

Then we'll see. And I'd much prefer to see Lang with Pleks and Koivu, than Antropov with those two.

People who say that Lang is finished don't know the guy. If he was on his skates in April (only 12 weeks after surgery) that means he knows he's still capable, he has the desire and he also said he wanted to come back with the Habs, so that means he thinks he still has it in him. I think I'll trust his own judgement (as he seems to have a pretty good common sense) as to whether he is still capable or not, than someone who doesn't have a clue about his condition.

If he's still capable, I'd chose him over Antropov any day.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
A floater do not get 60 points. And he can do better for sure.
Apparently, you have never met Miroslav Satan. Plenty of floaters get points. Doesn't mean you should plunk money down on him. For a cheap price, floaters are okay, but don't waste your UFA budget on them.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think most everybody will agree, let's try and go after Camalleri first.

Then we'll see. And I'd much prefer to see Lang with Pleks and Koivu, than Antropov with those two.

People who say that Lang is finished don't know the guy. If he was on his skates in April (only 12 weeks after surgery) that means he knows he's still capable, he has the desire and he also said he wanted to come back with the Habs, so that means he thinks he still has it in him. I think I'll trust his own judgement (as he seems to have a pretty good common sense) as to whether he is still capable or not, than someone who doesn't have a clue about his condition.

If he's still capable, I'd chose him over Antropov any day.
Are you insinuating that you want to keep this bunch together next year? I don't know, but I personnally want Gainey to change the face of this team as much as possible. We've been an inconsistent, small, non-physical and intimidated team for way too long. We're going absolutely nowhere as it stands.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:31 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Are you insinuating that you want to keep this bunch together next year? I don't know, but I personnally want Gainey to change the face of this team as much as possible. We've been an inconsistent, small, non-physical and intimidated team for way too long. We're going absolutely nowhere as it stands.
Change the face of the team? Change doesn't mean improvement unless you actually improve something. Get Havlat or Gaborik? Fine. But Antropov doesn't represent an improvement.

And the Habs are not an intimidated team. They're not scared of anyone. I doubt our players **** their pants thinking about other players or anything like that. It's just that our team doesn't initiate contact, but that doesn't mean they're scared. Have you ever watched a Detroit game? They rarely hit anyone. Once a while, Kronwall or Stuart step up for a hit, but that's it. Or Datsyuk in the right situation will throw a hit. But that doesn't mean they're scared. It's just not their game. Chicago only has one line that plays physical: the 4th line. It's not playing physical that wins you games. It's scoring goals.

Sure, Detroit has more talent, but that's the point. The Habs should be trying to be like Detroit. They should be looking to add talent and improve their skill. They shouldn't be getting guys like Antropov who present no improvement except being big.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Change the face of the team? Change doesn't mean improvement unless you actually improve something. Get Havlat or Gaborik? Fine. But Antropov doesn't represent an improvement.

And the Habs are not an intimidated team. They're not scared of anyone. I doubt our players **** their pants thinking about other players or anything like that. It's just that our team doesn't initiate contact, but that doesn't mean they're scared. Have you ever watched a Detroit game? They rarely hit anyone. Once a while, Kronwall or Stuart step up for a hit, but that's it. Or Datsyuk in the right situation will throw a hit. But that doesn't mean they're scared. It's just not their game. Chicago only has one line that plays physical: the 4th line. It's not playing physical that wins you games. It's scoring goals.

Sure, Detroit has more talent, but that's the point. The Habs should be trying to be like Detroit. They should be looking to add talent and improve their skill. They shouldn't be getting guys like Antropov who present no improvement except being big.
28. goals. while. playing. with. Stajan.

end of discussion. This guy is talented enough to fit our top-6.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I see Antropov as one of the best UFA for the habs, he played great for the Rangers and is great in front of the net and protect the puck la no one. He also seems to drive the net for often since he played with the Rangers. Would you give Antropov a try? I know we may overpay, but I think it's worth it. How much would you give for Antropov?
You must have him confused with somebody else. Antropov is a monster but he doesn't play his size. I'm not saying I wouldn't take him, but he would not be a high priority and I would not pay him near the 5 mil that he'll probably start out looking for. As a plan B or C I might give him 7.5-8 mil for 2 years front loaded so he can be traded to a small market after 1 year if he flops.

Ahead of him I'd have guys like Cammelleri, Havlat, Hossa, the Sedins, Bouwmeester, Komisarek, Kovalev.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Brett38

Quote:

Well, bring on Vinny and get this over with. The other centers will be determined after Vinny is a Hab.

Koivu, Pleks, Lang, Antropov, Lapierre???
Any others?
...a list of centers for the #2 and 3 spot if Vinny comes our way.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You must have him confused with somebody else. Antropov is a monster but he doesn't play his size. I'm not saying I wouldn't take him, but he would not be a high priority and I would not pay him near the 5 mil that he'll probably start out looking for. As a plan B or C I might give him 7.5-8 mil for 2 years front loaded so he can be traded to a small market after 1 year if he flops.

Ahead of him I'd have guys like Cammelleri, Havlat, Hossa, the Sedins, Bouwmeester, Komisarek, Kovalev.
He's not my plan A either, but I'd certainly inquire about him sooner than later after July 1st.

Of course the Sedins and Bouwmeester and Ohlund have to be both our priorities IMO. Komisarek and Kovalev? All depends on the price for Komo. Kovalev? I'd rather keep Tanguay tbh.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You can't say the Habs are non-physical when they've finished in the top 5 for bodychecks in the last two seasons.

We weren't inconsistent when we didn't have a boatload of injuries in the previous season.

Many agree that the coaching system is what produced the results of this season. Without a good system, they still managed a good record before Lang got injured (27-15-6, 27-11-6 before the 4 game losing streak).

A good system and less injuries would've done wonders this season. Just the fact that they were looking really good when Kovy-Koivu and Tanguay got put together, 6 games before Markov got injured, shows that this team was capable of being really good.

As we wait for teams to unload some big contracts over the next two seasons, I wouldn't mind bringing back the core, because the next coach will probably be better, and they can't have as much bad luck as last season.

Also, you underated Lang's leadership, as the team seemed to have lost some leadership when he wasn'T there anymore.

As for being small, I totally not agree. The Habs were not even close to be the smallest team. In fact, in terms of weight, the Habs had one of the top 10 teams. IN terms of height, they were middle of the pack.

I do think that there are changes they could do, but they could do those while still putting Tanguay-Koivu and Kovy together again, and retaining Lang's services.

What should be modified first is the defense. Modify the top 4 to make it more solid. Especially in the passing department, get better puck movers on the D corps. This will help the offense that was already in place and dominated in 07-08.

Then when the time comes, make a move for a real #1 centerman, when a good deal will come along, and looking at certain team's situations, its only a matter of time before we can get one.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote