HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New guy finally ready

Old
05-08-2009, 01:26 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhahat View Post
Look, I'm not a curmudgeon railing against new technology. I've tried composites I prefer wood, even some pros still use wood. That's not my issue. I even have a stick with an Oggie on it - Google that and try to tell me I'm afraid of new technology

The way this thing started was a new guy posted his list of equipment. Someone made a snide comment about his compression shirt. I said be nice, better he bought that than a $300 stick. I have no problems with a $75 composite stick as they last longer than a wood stick.

My point is that as long as the equipment manufacturers can sell a 2 mph advantage to your shot to the great unwashed (for only $299!!!), hockey will become too expensive for the average person to enjoy. Already in my area, we have to do equipment swaps and donations and fund raising drives just to keep the kids in the game.

Technology is a wonderful thing for all the weekend warriors. I'm glad you have money to burn and get a little more juice on your shot. If you have unused sticks and shafts cluttering up your garages, I'll take them. I'll cut them down and buy new blades and give them to the kids who desperately want the new NikeBok 6750 XXX because they saw it on TV but whose parents can't afford skates that fit because their hours have been cut down at the plant.
buddhahat - I wasn't referring to you. In fact the quote I included in my response was from another poster. There was extensive dialog between me (and others) said poster about the durability of composite sticks. Sorry if there was any confusion.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
buddhahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
buddhahat - I wasn't referring to you. In fact the quote I included in my response was from another poster. There was extensive dialog between me (and others) said poster about the durability of composite sticks. Sorry if there was any confusion.
No offense taken. You just managed to beat my response to the same gentleman and ended up between us. Cheers.

buddhahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Weren't you just rattling on about the lack of durability of composite sticks in another thread? Only to praise them here in this one...? Your post reads like sales pitch for composite sticks.
No you misread ... I said ONE piece sticks were not durable and they are not. I don't use a one piece composite stick, I went with a two piece because they seem to be a lot more durable than a one piece.

People I play with often do not test their two piece sticks all the time. I played with another guy who broke his one piece receiving a hard pass just today.

I stated when I no longer see that with regularity I will then try out a one piece stick or after they drop in price so I do not care as much if they break.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-08-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by csohio View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had a blast last night. I found I really need to work on hockey stops; it was totally different in full pads! I have a cage and found a comfortable shirt. I am trying to get comfortable with a right handed stick. It just doesn't "feel" right, so I picked up a wooden lefty today to try. I'm sticking with a wood stick for now until I can get the fundamentals down; then I'll look at better sticks that will help me speed up.....I'm not looking for speed yet!
Enjoy the game ... you'll probably read a lot of hubbub around here about the correct hand to choose lefty or righty. Ignore it and do what comes naturally to you.

You'll know.

Old
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
No you misread ... I said ONE piece sticks were not durable and they are not. I don't use a one piece composite stick, I went with a two piece because they seem to be a lot more durable than a one piece.

People I play with often do not test their two piece sticks all the time. I played with another guy who broke his one piece receiving a hard pass just today.

I stated when I no longer see that with regularity I will then try out a one piece stick or after they drop in price so I do not care as much if they break.
most ops are two piece sticks with a bonding where they insert the blade. there are a few true ops though

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
most ops are two piece sticks with a bonding where they insert the blade. there are a few true ops though
Yep I knew that ... I also saw a youtube video review where this guy who works or owns a hockey shop had people returning their Bauer Supreme sticks because the joint would crack in the finish but did not affect the stick integrity. He explained that one can heat up the shaft and pull the blade out and replace it too.

I do not know why a one piece is more brittle than a shaft + replacement blade. I can see that they are though .... somehow. Maybe some self proclaimed expert around here can answer that question.

Are shafts that are sold thicker in materials than the shafts for a one piece stick? There must be something different somewhere.

Tapered vs non-tapered perhaps?

Old
05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Hockey bag?

Regarding socks --
In addition to the stockings you'll wear over your shin pad I recommend wearing a pair of nylon (or polyester) liner socks on your feet. Cotton socks are horrible -- between the sweat they absorb and the abrasion they're sure to cause a few blisters. Actually, I'm a big fan of nylon/polyester everything -- undershirt, shorts, socks, leggings, etc. The fabric keeps you relatively dry and light.

Otherwise you've got all your gear. You might want to practice dressing -- figure out what to put on first, second, third. . . last. Get a sense of how heavy it all is. Also, give some thought to how you'll pack everything in your bag. There's so much gear to keep track of and to put on. The more consistent your routine the less worry you'll have before a game about whether you remembered to pack something, etc.
I use thin underarmour hockey socks. Definitely an immediate difference in feeling compared to regular white socks used for everyday use.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote