HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC booted out of Caps room

Old
05-08-2009, 06:25 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
CBC booted out of Caps room

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...97171-sun.html

Begs the question...Why do the Habs put up with foolishness from the press when they clearly can limit who gets to talk to players?

I know the Caps did it for different reasons than why the Habs should, but......still.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Soon... soon

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 06:31 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...97171-sun.html

Begs the question...Why do the Habs put up with foolishness from the press when they clearly can limit who gets to talk to players?

I know the Caps did it for different reasons than why the Habs should, but......still.
Tradition.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
TheCH*

Boudreau has no neck, its just a head planted on top of his shoulders!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Tradition.
Tradition?

That's too stupid to even qualify as a reason.

Anything that could be a distraction to players should be taken cared off.

If the media can control themselves, start and spread rumors, only to come back in the room to question players about it, then they shouldn't be allowed to come in.

If it were once in a few years, it wouldn't be an issue. But it happens every year in Mtl. At some point, you have to draw the line and I think we're so far past it the line is a dot.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Tradition?

That's too stupid to even qualify as a reason.

Anything that could be a distraction to players should be taken cared off.

If the media can control themselves, start and spread rumors, only to come back in the room to question players about it, then they shouldn't be allowed to come in.

If it were once in a few years, it wouldn't be an issue. But it happens every year in Mtl. At some point, you have to draw the line and I think we're so far past it the line is a dot.
Nobody is drawing that line, we're not getting a brand new third jersey and our next coach needs to be bilingual, guess why.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:42 PM
shutehinside

I"ve wondered many times myself why the Habs allow certain memebers of the media into the locker room or why certain players or members of the Habs organization talk to said media members.
If there was someone out to talk **** about me all the time and work to divide my team, I would have no problem banning them.
So why don't the Habs??

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 07:59 PM
habtastic

I think we SHOULD be controlling the media, not the other way around, but
1) Caps shut out CBC...result...no one cares
2) Imagine the Yankees banning coverage or any baseball team for that matter (same in most sports)...the fans would be pissed. Not all of us can see how harmful they are (media). Lotta people want "access" to the team. We are too popular. Bob is tight lipped, but that would cause a minor riot. Then it would be insinuating things abotu the team that are completely made up even though the media don't have access...oh...wait.

Personally I think RDS and CBC should be allowed into the dressing room, that's it. Just due to the current circumstance. It's bad enough with pro-toronto CBC and nutso franco-agenda RDS, but I feel that's the least we should allow, but no more than that. Sadly some of the good reporters would be shut out. Actually the more I think about it, no matter who enters the dressing room, there will always be **** abotu the team. In fact, the most damaging stuff was from people (which was recognized by many) who never even spoke to the players and had no sources. It's a paparazzi situation and unfortunately because it's mired in politics, I don't see it going away. Wow i hate things right now. I wish we had some "watchmen" to bring down pie-face and co.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Newhabfan

The NHL wants as much media coverage as possible, and teams probably want it too.

You need a very serious reason to ban media members. The Caps had it. The Habs would need a very strong case too to be able to do that.

You cannot ban a reporter or analyst because he said you suck or in general for expressing his opinions. You cannot ban Michel Bergeron for his senile ramblings (and you cannot really ban RDS either). You need proof of "lack of professionalism" that directly harms your team. The "darkest day" fiasco might have been such a case but I guess the Habs tried to avoid more publicity.

That's why I was suggesting in another thread to have an archive of media infractions so that anyone could assembly an infractions file for a specific media person.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:08 PM
marchabsfan

oh yeah the habs would have played so much better without the media. probably that sundin would have chosen us also.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:24 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
oh yeah the habs would have played so much better without the media. probably that sundin would have chosen us also.
forget sundin, didn't really care about him much (although that WAS a factor)

You think the team hasn't suffered due to it's (turtle)neck being squeezed by the media and its overinflation of the team's struggles, leading to a massive albatross sitting on top of the team, plus the anti-euro/anglo sentiments constantly present? I'm not saying we were a contender, but until Lang went down, we weren't far (maybe structured coaching). when the wheels fell off, the media flipped the car. W/O Markov, clearly as a team we were pretty bad, but it was the result of a few months of bludgeoning by the negative press. When was the last time the players felt good about each other? The toronto game. That's the only time they weren't getting it from the media. If Demers gets on them, you know the media has screwed us.

Old
05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
forget sundin, didn't really care about him much (although that WAS a factor)

You think the team hasn't suffered due to it's (turtle)neck being squeezed by the media and its overinflation of the team's struggles, leading to a massive albatross sitting on top of the team, plus the anti-euro/anglo sentiments constantly present? I'm not saying we were a contender, but until Lang went down, we weren't far (maybe structured coaching). when the wheels fell off, the media flipped the car. W/O Markov, clearly as a team we were pretty bad, but it was the result of a few months of bludgeoning by the negative press. When was the last time the players felt good about each other? The toronto game. That's the only time they weren't getting it from the media. If Demers gets on them, you know the media has screwed us.
well you said it; its probably injuries that played the bigger role.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
MoonlightGraham

Because having a locker room accessible to the media leads to more stuff about the Canadiens in the media and more stuff to the Canadiens lead to more ticket sales/merchandising sales/advertisement sales in the Bell Centre and whatnot.

The team does not suffer from media attention, the team wants media attention in order to make as much money as they can. Sure, sometimes the media may hurt the team but the positive effect the media has on the team is much bigger than the negative consequences. All the media attention is free publicity for the Canadiens. Just ask the Nashville Predators if they'd like to have as much media attention as the Canadiens do.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Boudreau has no neck, its just a head planted on top of his shoulders!

So random, yet so true

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 08:58 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
well you said it; its probably injuries that played the bigger role.
They absolutely played a major role, but so did the media. It was sickening to be around the negativity as the team was struggling. Most of the players seemed to have wanted to just go home with 2 months left. Even if it didn't have a mental effect on the players (which I think it did and that affects confidence tremendously), it's just not right to have a public feeding on our team every morning. When you see the other fans in the playoffs, they cheer for their team and the media is mostly supportive of them. That's how it should be.