HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did the Habs crappy performance in the playoffs screw the Bruins??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2009, 11:29 AM
  #51
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,990
vCash: 500
canes deserve a lot of credit. amazing goaltending, staal is playing like a man possessed, secondary scoring, and they just look hungrier. thomas isn't getting much help from his defense and boston is turning the puck over more than i've ever seen. i don't think the habs had anything to do with it.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:54 AM
  #52
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Yes, the Bruins losing to the Habs made Carolina a better team.

Some of you need to start giving credit where credit is due. The Hurricanes are about to take out another division winner.
Most of the Bruins fans called us chokers last year. Only difference is we actually dominated Philadelphia.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
  #53
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
The 2002 Leafs went to the conference finals without 3 of their top 4 scorers, including their MVP Sundin.
Euuuhhh...No.

The best players of the 2002 Leafs during the Reg.Season were:
-Sundin 80pts/82GP
-Mogilny 57pts/66GP
-Tucker 59pts/77GP
-Renberg 51pts/72GP
-Reichel 51pts/78GP
-Roberts 48pts/69GP
-Hoglund 47pts/82GP

Those were their best forwards in the season.
Then you had their top 2D:
-McCabe 43pts/82GP
-Kaberle 39pts/69GP


In the POs, outside of Sundin, all of their top scorers played:
Mogilny, Kaberle, McCabe, McCauly, Hoglund, all played 20Games.
Then you have Roberts and Corson with 19GP, Reichel with 18GP, Tucker with 17GP, Lumme played 14Games.
Sundin played 8Games.

Please tell me which top 3players were missing???..

Sundin might have been their MVP, but Markov on top of being our MVP is our #1 D.

Please try again, that was more than just a bad example.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 11:59 AM
  #54
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,360
vCash: 500
Remember that Tucker injured Peca in that same series and it took them 7 games to win.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
  #55
digger18
Registered User
 
digger18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Williams Lake B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,660
vCash: 500
Lets face it...The teams that sweep the 1st round are all playing at a lower level in round 2, yes the teams that they are playing are a bit tougher, but when you have a long layoff like Boston, Detroit and Vancouver had, it takes a few games to get rolling again. Some teams just cant recover in time and they find themselves trailing before they know it. If Boston can recover and pull out a win in game 5, I think they win this series!

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:16 PM
  #56
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,342
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Most of the Bruins fans called us chokers last year. Only difference is we actually dominated Philadelphia.
That is true,both games in Philadelphia we we're the better team,Price and Halk didn't help much last year.It's funny cause the game we didn't deserve we won it,game one

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
  #57
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That is true,both games in Philadelphia we we're the better team,Price and Halk didn't help much last year.It's funny cause the game we didn't deserve we won it,game one
Yep, I remember that as well. Couldn't believe we won game 1 when we were outplayed the whole time. But I guess thats hockey.

In reference to the OP's question, I think we may of had some minimal effect on the B's current play. So much of the focus was put on beating us and winning a playoff series against after losing 3 previous series against us. Other than that Carolina just looks like the better team out there, the talent level isn't nearly as high but everything is clicking and they are being led by the dominant play of E Staal. The guy just looks like a beast out there.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
  #58
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That is true,both games in Philadelphia we we're the better team,Price and Halk didn't help much last year.It's funny cause the game we didn't deserve we won it,game one
Game 5 still stings...3-1 lead mid 2nd AT HOME. I thought for sure we were playing game 6 the night after in Philly.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
  #59
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,342
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Game 5 still stings...3-1 lead mid 2nd AT HOME. I thought for sure we were playing game 6 the night after in Philly.
That one hurt,Flyers regrouped and came out strong to even take the lead until Andrei tied it early in the 3rd.

Game 2 hurt a lot,man was Biron good that night!

Anyways that's past,gotta be positive and think we will be back there next year exept this time on the winning side of it

Go Habs Go! Man I miss the Habs!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:27 PM
  #60
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Lets face it...The teams that sweep the 1st round are all playing at a lower level in round 2, yes the teams that they are playing are a bit tougher, but when you have a long layoff like Boston, Detroit and Vancouver had, it takes a few games to get rolling again. Some teams just cant recover in time and they find themselves trailing before they know it. If Boston can recover and pull out a win in game 5, I think they win this series!
A bit tougher?

Anaheim just a bit tougher than the big bad Blue Jackets?? Anaheim are a much fiercer opponent.
Carolina a bit better than the battered up Habs missing 4key players?? I'm not sure we were better than the NYI with those guys out.
Chicago a bit tougher than the intimidating Blues' offense of one 60pts+ player?? They're not even comparable.

The Ducks got rid of the Sharks in the 1st round. They beat the 1seed.
It's now a tied 2-2 series vs Detroit.
Detroit won the first game. The 3rd game, they were robbed at the end of a goal that would have tied the game to send it to OT. They might have won that game and been up 3-1 in the Series now.
The days off had nothing to do with.

Carolina is one of the hottest teams since the re-hired Paul Maurice. They beat the team many favored to win the East.
Boston didn't face any true type of adversity throughout the season and faced a battered Mtl team that missed 4 key players in the 1st round. They beat Carolina 4-1 the first game of the series.
But the series is being played in Nets where Ward seems to have an edge over Thomas.
Also, Chara doesn't have the task to shut down a guy 1 foot smaller and 80lbs lighter. Nothing against Koivu, he's a warrior, but he's no Staal. At 6'3 205lbs, he's not an easy push over and he isn't afraid to battle it out vs Chara.

In this Series so far over 4Games:
Staal 4G/5pts, Chara -4.

The Boston defense is being exposed right now by Carolina's speedy and grinding forwards. It has nothing to do with the break they had. If anything the Bruins weren't well prepared.
They rode their hot wave until Game 1, Carolina made a few adjustments and are giving it to the Bruins. They deserve full credit.


As for Van-Chi,
The Nucks have never been behind in this series. They went up 1-0 and 2-1. It's now tied 2-2. I fail to see how a few extra days off rusted them up.

I don't think the more days off had any impact whatsoever. If anything, it might have had an effect on Game 1 but all the teams that swept their opposition in Round One, respectively won their first game in Round 2. So no, no impact.

The fatigue level of teams that go through longer and tougher series has a much bigger impact that having a few days off more than others.


Last edited by Kriss E: 05-09-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
  #61
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't think so. That's a wild hypothesis to be honest. If anything, their performance right now just means the Habs were really playing like shiat.

Here's one I find more plausible:

Thomas ran out of gas and the Bs backup goalie wants to retire after this season (rumor).

It's not a rumor he said it himself on CKAC.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
  #62
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Euuuhhh...No.

The best players of the 2002 Leafs during the Reg.Season were:
-Sundin 80pts/82GP
-Mogilny 57pts/66GP
-Tucker 59pts/77GP
-Renberg 51pts/72GP
-Reichel 51pts/78GP
-Roberts 48pts/69GP
-Hoglund 47pts/82GP

Those were their best forwards in the season.
Then you had their top 2D:
-McCabe 43pts/82GP
-Kaberle 39pts/69GP


In the POs, outside of Sundin, all of their top scorers played:
Mogilny, Kaberle, McCabe, McCauly, Hoglund, all played 20Games.
Then you have Roberts and Corson with 19GP, Reichel with 18GP, Tucker with 17GP, Lumme played 14Games.
Sundin played 8Games.

Please tell me which top 3players were missing???..

Sundin might have been their MVP, but Markov on top of being our MVP is our #1 D.

Please try again, that was more than just a bad example.

It's funny because I can't find his post you quoted. Guess he deleted it.

Bad example indeed. It doesn't even fill half of the requirements.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:42 PM
  #63
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,808
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Most of the Bruins fans called us chokers last year. Only difference is we actually dominated Philadelphia.
Slight difference. They called them chokers after we lost. Some people are calling them chokers before they lose....3-1 is still not the end of the world. I don't see the Canes beating the Bruins at home. If it happens, it all comes down to the Carolina game. And everything can still happen.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:07 PM
  #64
TomPlex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
This has to be the dumbest thing ever written in a post.

Because Michael Ryder scored 30 goals when we didn;t make the playoffs and had a bad year when we finished first place.

Not only that he's scored more goals in the last 4 years than anyone on our team has scored goals in the last 4 years, so your comment is just dumb.
What I meant by my comment is that they were getting secondary scoring to the max. I HIGHLY doubt that Ryder would've scored 27 on any other team this year.

Let me guess, you hate Gainey for letting him go, right?

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:16 PM
  #65
TeamHabs
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
They sure looked great in the regular season though.
So does Joe Thornton...

TeamHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
  #66
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Slight difference. They called them chokers after we lost. Some people are calling them chokers before they lose....3-1 is still not the end of the world. I don't see the Canes beating the Bruins at home. If it happens, it all comes down to the Carolina game. And everything can still happen.
It's so funny how you're so optimistic when it comes to the Bruins, more than you've ever been about the Habs.

Bruins to the cup, right?

BTW, the Canes did win in Boston before, that's why they are leading 3-1, so I don't see why the Canes can't beat them at Boston.

I should search for you comments when the Habs were losing 3-1 against Philly, yet lost each game by one goal, whereas Boston was dominated in the last two games. I'm sure I will find some beauties that are far away from "3-1 is still not the end of the world".

You should quit on the Habs already and become a Bruins fan, full time.


BTW, are you also ignoring the other guy who said you were always pessimistic when it comes to the Habs, it seems I'm not the only one who thinks this?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:27 PM
  #67
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,342
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It's so funny how you're so optimistic when it comes to the Bruins, more than you've ever been about the Habs.

Bruins to the cup, right?

BTW, the Canes did win in Boston before, that's why they are leading 3-1, so I don't see why the Canes can't beat them at Boston.

I should search for you comments when the Habs were losing 3-1 against Philly, yet lost each game by one goal, whereas Boston was dominated in the last two games. I'm sure I will find some beauties that are far away from "3-1 is still not the end of the world".

You should quit on the Habs already and become a Bruins fan, full time.


BTW, are you also ignoring the other guy who said you were always pessimistic when it comes to the Habs, it seems I'm not the only one who thinks this?

That's not what he is saying.Bruins need to win 2 of the next 3 like the Capitals did with 2 games being on the road.Julien has been there before doing it with us against the same bruins but they had to win 2 of the 3 on the road. What he his saying is it easiler at home then on the road which I agree with win if the bruins win tomorrow and find a steal in Carolina,anything can happen they are the best team in the conference why wouldn't they be able to do it?

Tomorrow we will see if the Bruins are still interested or not!

And the bruins are better then the Habs IMO,does that make me a bad fan as well?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:28 PM
  #68
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Clearly the Bruins that played the Habs isn't the looking nearly as strong as the one that is losing to Carolina. With all due respect to Carolina, did the Bruins first round series leave them ill prepared to face Carolina.

Once again the Habs dash the Bruins hope of playoff glory.
NO...the Habs just played poorly, and had too many injuries to key people to make any noise vs the Bruins...If the Bruins were as good as TSN made them out to be, they would have swept the Canes also...gotta give credit to Eric Stall, and Cam Ward for really pushing the Canes into the next round, given they can close out the Bruins, which they should do in one of their next 3 games...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:37 PM
  #69
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
NO...the Habs just played poorly, and had too many injuries to key people to make any noise vs the Bruins...If the Bruins were as good as TSN made them out to be, they would have swept the Canes also...gotta give credit to Eric Stall, and Cam Ward for really pushing the Canes into the next round, given they can close out the Bruins, which they should do in one of their next 3 games...
Im praying for it..

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
  #70
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's not what he is saying.Bruins need to win 2 of the next 3 like the Capitals did with 2 games being on the road.Julien has been there before doing it with us against the same bruins but they had to win 2 of the 3 on the road. What he his saying is it easiler at home then on the road which I agree with win if the bruins win tomorrow and find a steal in Carolina,anything can happen they are the best team in the conference why wouldn't they be able to do it?

Tomorrow we will see if the Bruins are still interested or not!

And the bruins are better then the Habs IMO,does that make me a bad fan as well?
That's not what Ozy was saying either.

He wasn't saying it's over for the Bruins, just that it doesn't look very good. Because on top of losing their last 3Games, 2 of them were pretty much dominated by Carolina (3-0 and 4-1).
Which is different from our situation last year where we actually dominated Philly. Just like Boston had dominated us last year in Games 2-3-4, but we still got the Wins.
Yet Whitesnake was pessimistic about us rallying vs Philly.

Right now, it doesn't look good for Boston because they're playing vs one of the hottest teams since they hired Paul Maurice and their 2 superstars, Staal and Ward, are simply phenomenal. They're outshining Boston's stars.

Now that being said, Boston still has a chance obviously since it's not over, but they'll have to be much better prepared.
The first true time this season when they faced adversity was a few days ago when they were down 2-1 in the series. How did they respond?..with a mediocre performance and losing 4-1.

How will they respond now that they're down 3-1??..We shall see.

Obviously, if they win in Boston and pull a steal in Carolina, anything can happen. I mean, it would be Game7, so it's not like you made a huge discovery over here..

But winning Game5-6 is easier said than done and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Boston lose in 5.
Carolina is really on fire now, they're tough to beat.


Last edited by Kriss E: 05-09-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
  #71
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Any team can come back from anything but I believe the B's stats for being down in the playoffs 3-1 is 0-22

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:46 PM
  #72
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's not what he is saying.Bruins need to win 2 of the next 3 like the Capitals did with 2 games being on the road.Julien has been there before doing it with us against the same bruins but they had to win 2 of the 3 on the road. What he his saying is it easiler at home then on the road which I agree with win if the bruins win tomorrow and find a steal in Carolina,anything can happen they are the best team in the conference why wouldn't they be able to do it?

Tomorrow we will see if the Bruins are still interested or not!

And the bruins are better then the Habs IMO,does that make me a bad fan as well?
What he said is "I don't see the Canes beating the Bruins at home." when Carolina already has won in Boston in the series. Actually, haven't they lost their last 2?

If you follow his comments closely, you will see that he NEVER has that level of optimism for the Habs, even when things went very well. That's the reason for my comment, and I stand by it. It has nothing to do with the perception of Bruins vs Habs, but his irritating tendency to always see it greener for other teams.

When such a poster thinks Markov wouldn't have made a difference against the Bruins (he said : Bruins in 5, with or without Markov) that shows just how much he's disconnected from reality.

Also, he's been cheering for the Bruins ever since the playoffs have started, stating that they will be Champions of the East.

Now that he sees his prediction go away in smoke, he reacts the same way he accuses Habs fans of reacting towards the Habs, of being too optimistic (wearing rose-colored glasses). Why be so pessimistic towards the Habs even when they are doing good, and being so optimistic towards the Bruins when they are doing bad?

I find that very hypocritical.

That's why I think he would be better off becoming a full time Bruins fan. It's my opinion and I stand by it, and its nowhere near flamming.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:47 PM
  #73
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
NO...the Habs just played poorly, and had too many injuries to key people to make any noise vs the Bruins...If the Bruins were as good as TSN made them out to be, they would have swept the Canes also...gotta give credit to Eric Stall, and Cam Ward for really pushing the Canes into the next round, given they can close out the Bruins, which they should do in one of their next 3 games...
My point in the original post was that the Bruins were not put through a "battle" in round 1.
Someone mentioned the other 2 teams that swept- Vancouver and Detroit. Well, Detroit is a playoff experienced team. They know what to do. Vancouver could easily be out in 4 had it not been for a young, inexperienced Chicago team.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
  #74
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
In spite of sweeping us in the first round, three of the four games could have gone either way. The Bruins couldn't crush a team with 5 of their top players out of the line-up.

They're not playing worse or better, they're just not that good! I still believe that had we had a somewhat healthy line-up, we would have won that series. Not because we were that strong, but just because the Bruins are highly overrated. They have tons of young guys who are learning what the playoffs are all about.
I agree with your assessment. The Habs were missing half of their d corps and were without arguably two players from their first line. In particular, missing those elements on the back line would make a series win nearly impossible. In the 05-06 playoffs, Buffalo was missing three key d-men and were unable to move past Carolina as a result. Key injuries do not bode well for playoff success. IF we were healthy, I seriously believe we would have taken the series in 6 or 7.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
  #75
Peter Puck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
I can't believe that no one here learned anything form last year's playoffs. It is accepted wisdom on almost all the boards here that we lost to Philly (solely) because we are/were too soft. The obvious lesson is that the Bruins are too soft a team to play the Canes. The Bruins need some players with some size and grit.









Peter Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.