HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Did the Habs crappy performance in the playoffs screw the Bruins??

Old
05-09-2009, 04:10 PM
bipolarhabfan

vCash: 500
BTW, has the Bruins' fanbase used the hitting the post excuse yet? They did hit two in the first period last night, which is what happened to the Habs last year vs. the Flyers (20 posts in 5 games).

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Turboflex*

The Bruins are heavily overrated. They stat padded a lot back in december running up 6-1 scores against the thrashers. Asides from Chara their D is fairly mediocre, and as good as Chara is, he's not invincible, how many times did we see Kovalev twist him up last season? Chara's strength is positioning and using his stick to cover a lot of the season (which works against a less mobile opponent, like Kovalev on the PP), but he's not an ace at covering big, mobile superstars 1 on 1.

Boston's top 6 is a joke, and they are heavily overrated. They have skill, but it's breakout rookie skill, not vet guts. They stat padded a lot too look impressive, but Savard is really overrated now that he's put up big numbers int he regular season. The only top line guys who can bring it in the playoffs against stiff opposition on the Bs are Recchi, Lucic (who's kind of an insane headcase, but does raise his game as opposed to disappearing). Hon. mention to Axelsonn who is a better version of Kostopoulos, but still can't score. The young, soft types like Savard, Ryder, Kessel, Krecje have predictably disappeared.

Those guys are good, but no comparison to guys like Staal and Cole, couple that with Carolina's secondary line of Jokinin/Samsonov which is clutch.

For the record I'm not just talking out of my ass 20/20 hindsight here, I picked Staal, Whitney and Rod the bod in my playoff pool, knowing they'd go through Boston. No Bruins on my bench.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:39 PM
HotPie

The Canes are simply a better team right now.

Sure, we were swept by the Bruins, but I was never really impressed by their performances. The fact that we were so injury riddled made the Bruins appear better than they actually were.

Not saying we would have beaten them with a healthy team, but it would have been a lot closer.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
The Canes are simply a better team right now.

Sure, we were swept by the Bruins, but I was never really impressed by their performances. The fact that we were so injury riddled made the Bruins appear better than they actually were.

Not saying we would have beaten them with a healthy team, but it would have been a lot closer.
I actually think we would have beaten them. With a healthy roster and Price focused, we would have beaten them.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
What I meant by my comment is that they were getting secondary scoring to the max. I HIGHLY doubt that Ryder would've scored 27 on any other team this year.

Let me guess, you hate Gainey for letting him go, right?
Actually I was not angry at Gainey, I was happy to see him leave because he wouldn't have gotten the ice time anyway on our team, he clearly wasn't in our plans and not only was I happy to see him leave I also knew he would succeed elsewhere like he succeeded the 3 out of the 4 seasons with us. In his 4 years with Montreal no one on our roster scored more goals than he did and crappy players don't score by fluke year after year.

So you can take your stupid laugh emoticon and put it somewhere useful.

these are his goal totals in his first 5 years...not one hab has had more goals in the last 5 years, not even the great Alex Kovalev whom everyone drools over.

Last edited by Andy: 05-09-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:04 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

It has nothing to do with Montreal. Boston is losing because they are a very soft team between the ears and they have a bunch of guys who are known for choking in the playoffs (Bergeron, Chara, Thomas, etc...). They're just like San Jose East.

Chokers.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:04 PM
DaHabMan

dont know if we did but im enjoying every minute of this although i wanted them to reach the stanley cup final only to lose in overtime of game 7.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
CrazyShea

See this coming a mile away. Looks good on em to

CrazyShea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Corey

That's a flimsy hypothesis. I doubt whether the Bruins mistook the Habs for a dangerous opponent and became overconfident against the Canes as a result. Rather, if they were overconfident it would have been because they swept the Canes in the regular season and won easily in the first playoff game. Of course they should have smelled the coffee when they were shut out in the second home game and lost in the opener at Carolina. I wouldn't give the Habs any credit for placing the Bruins in a precarious position. The Canes earned it. They had a better game plan. They played physically with a purpose. Gleason and other Cane forwards didn't shy away from Lucic. On the contrary, they dumped him on his rear end at least five times by my count (how often did the Habs succeed in doing that?). On the power play they kept the puck on Chara's side, obliging him to move out toward the point. This left his less formidable defensive partners to do the heavy lifting around the crease. In short, they made Chara a helpless giant. I assume Julien and his assistants noticed it and will try to come up with a more effective PK when they return to Boston for game 5. Of course, they have little margin for error. One more letdown by the Bruins and they can join the Habs on the links.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Souvenirs

The Bruins remind me a lot of another team...

The 2007-2008 Montreal Canadiens

That huge contract they gave to Thomas doesn't look too god now does it?

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Actually I was not angry at Gainey, I was happy to see him leave because he wouldn't have gotten the ice time anyway on our team, he clearly wasn't in our plans and not only was I happy to see him leave I also knew he would succeed elsewhere like he succeeded the 3 out of the 4 seasons with us. In his 4 years with Montreal no one on our roster scored more goals than he did and crappy players don't score by fluke year after year.

So you can take your stupid laugh emoticon and put it somewhere useful.

these are his goal totals in his first 5 years...not one hab has had more goals in the last 5 years, not even the great Alex Kovalev whom everyone drools over.
Good point.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Souvenirs

Unfortunately, Ryder really looked done in Montreal. Too bad, because he's the type of sniper we could have used

And the Habs have screwed the Bruins in no way. They just aren't that great. We saw it in the playoffs. Yeah, they swept us, but they weren't really convincing. With the lineup we were icing too...

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:35 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
The Bruins remind me a lot of another team...

The 2007-2008 Montreal Canadiens

That huge contract they gave to Thomas doesn't look too god now does it?
We dominated Philly, Carolina is dominating them.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 09:59 PM
mlandry

No, the Habs don't have any effect on a Bruins vs Canes series. Maybe if we went to game 7 and caused them injuries, it could of affected them in their future series.

What a terrible question, did you really not know the answer to this?

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:37 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
No, the Habs don't have any effect on a Bruins vs Canes series. Maybe if we went to game 7 and caused them injuries, it could of affected them in their future series.

What a terrible question, did you really not know the answer to this?
My goodness. I started this thread as a tongue in cheek, self-deprecating shot at our Habs ineptitude this season.
The fact Carolina is manhandling Boston is as big a slap in the face to Habs fans as it was being swept by Boston in the first place.

Don't emoticons count for anything?

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:44 PM
GNick42

What do you guys thinking of offering Kessel a big contract this summer? He is young coming into his own...Habs need a young offensive forward like this. Give up a couple of first round picks for signing him

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
What do you guys thinking of offering Kessel a big contract this summer? He is young coming into his own...Habs need a young offensive forward like this. Give up a couple of first round picks for signing him
a couple of first and a lot more money than he's worth.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I don't think we have anything to do with the Bruins' demise, but it's certainly a nice thought

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
My goodness. I started this thread as a tongue in cheek, self-deprecating shot at our Habs ineptitude this season.
The fact Carolina is manhandling Boston is as big a slap in the face to Habs fans as it was being swept by Boston in the first place.

Don't emoticons count for anything?
Your intended slap in the face to the fans has no sting, and your emoticon has no more effect than one isolated traffic cone. How many fans expected THAT crippled lineup with THAT season-ending losing streak and THAT record against the Bruins to win even one game? ANY team the Bruins faced in the first round would have offered stiffer resistance than the Habs. The Habs would also have gone out quickly against any of the other six playoff contenders. Their season's record against the Bruins, Devils, Caps, Canes, and Rangers was putrid even when they didn't have the excuse of injuries to fall back on. At the end, the Flyers were much too strong for them.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
If I went for an RFA I'd prefer someone more robust.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:42 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Your intended slap in the face to the fans has no sting, and your emoticon has no more effect than one isolated traffic cone. How many fans expected THAT crippled lineup with THAT season-ending losing streak and THAT record against the Bruins to win even one game? ANY team the Bruins faced in the first round would have offered stiffer resistance than the Habs. The Habs would also have gone out quickly against any of the other six playoff contenders. Their season's record against the Bruins, Devils, Caps, Canes, and Rangers was putrid even when they didn't have the excuse of injuries to fall back on. At the end, the Flyers were much too strong for them.
So is your position that with or without injuries, we sucked this year? Great we agree.

Last October, how many fans were planning on watching the Habs play in June this year? I know I was.

Difference between you and me (among others, I'm sure) is I find some small solace and humour in the disaster that was this season to still be able to kick a little bit of dirt Boston's way.
Lighten up.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 06:17 AM
GNick42

Those lengthy layoffs can be worse thing for a team at times.

Old
05-10-2009, 06:29 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If I went for an RFA I'd prefer someone more robust.
Yes, I think you are right. But Kessel has a big future. Idea of stealing a player from Bruins...they will have a hard time matching

Old
05-10-2009, 09:19 AM
JrHockeyFan

It's our fault we lose AND Boston loses? That is a powerful lot of blame

I'm starting to believe NJ LouLam had something when he fired Julien with less than a month to go because of "the team's lack of readiness to challenge for the Stanley Cup"

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 09:41 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
It's our fault we lose AND Boston loses? That is a powerful lot of blame

I'm starting to believe NJ LouLam had something when he fired Julien with less than a month to go because of "the team's lack of readiness to challenge for the Stanley Cup"
indeed; if we lost because of the media, and boston loses because of montreal, than boston loses because of our medias.

its proven: jean perron has incredible powers.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote