HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komisarek a 6 million dollar man?An assistant GM thinks so.

Old
05-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Souvenirs

vCash: 500
Right now, Hamrlik's play is declining and he is expensive. People complain that keeping Komi will cost 4-5 million while we pay Hammer even more! And Komi is about to enter his prime too. If it comes down to this, we can just trade Hamrlik if we get too close to the cap. Letting one of our core player walk for a guy who's 1-2 years away from leaving is not a good idea. Thing is, we can and should keep both.

For how many years in a row can this team do that actually? Letting key defencemen walk?

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:27 PM
dutchy29

Should have traded Komi at the trade deadline last season for Streit.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:09 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Right now, Hamrlik's play is declining and he is expensive. People complain that keeping Komi will cost 4-5 million while we pay Hammer even more! And Komi is about to enter his prime too. If it comes down to this, we can just trade Hamrlik if we get too close to the cap. Letting one of our core player walk for a guy who's 1-2 years away from leaving is not a good idea. Thing is, we can and should keep both.

For how many years in a row can this team do that actually? Letting key defencemen walk?
I can't beleive it.

Hammer's importance to the team is so much more important than Komisarek's. Come on dude. The guy just had 33 points while getting limited PP time and more often than not playing with Brisebois and O'Byrne. Komisarek struggled all season long with Markov. The guy barely can move the puck. You don't pay high prices for D-Men who can't play with the puck.

Ken Holland said it himself a couple of months ago. It's stupid to lose big amounts of money on stay-at-home defensemen who just can't do anything with the puck.

Hamrlik logs off more minutes than Komisarek, usually makes great outlet passes and moves the puck well. The fact that he got 33 points without any quality PP time is a miracle in itself.

Hamrlik is one of the last guy you can blame. Komisarek's play was abysmal. If Gainey makes the mistake to trade Hamrlik in order to keep Komisarek, we're toasted. That's gonna mean that the only d-man who can play in all 3 zones that we have left is Markov.

Hamrlik is a great player. Maybe not worth all his money, but a big part of it. He's solid everywhere on the ice, and even if he had a sub-par season, he still managed to play decently while being paired with trash all year long.

I wish the Komisarek fanboys would be objective and stop being so emotive in their answers. You've gotta keep who brings the most, and right now, in a puck possession team like Montreal, what Hamrlik brings is much more important than what Komisarek brings.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Don't know if this has been posted, but:

http://ruefrontenac.com/bertrandraym...-sur-komisarek

Hope this is bullsh*t.... 'cause the Habs can't afford to loose Komisarek...
This is just the beginning of the bs Gainey's policy of no neg during the season will cause. Pathetic

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I wrote a long well-written scanting reply on the comments of that article, yet they did not put it on. Seems like Raymond and the bunch at RueFrontenac don't like it when people take Ciccone's side when he says how the media are the main reason why UFAs don't wanna come here, and he's an agent.

Raymond a censuring fascist? Unsurprising.
Bull. It's the taxes. All anyone cares about anymore is freakin money. They use the media and the over zealous fans as an excuse. It's THE MONEY (Taxes). Wake up people.

Old
05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanator76 View Post
He's way closer to being a first pairing defenseman than Komisarek will ever be. People here jump on Hammer's back like if he was brutal. However, what people tend to forget is that he was asked to play with garbage as Brisebois and O'Byrne almost all season long and still managed to put up better numbers than last year (and he was a + player, by the way).

Get off his back. Hammer's maybe not worth the money, but he's a 4,5M$ D-Man.
Agreed

Old
05-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Schooner Guy

We should have locked Komisarek up long-term last summer or the summer before. Komisarek might be our only defenceman with a chip on his shoulder and that is aggravating to play against.

I'm a Gainey apologist and I can understand why he let Souray and Streit walk. However, we have invested a lot in Komisarek who is about to enter his prime. Bob should never have allowed Komisarek to get to this position. It will really stink if he's playing for the Leafs next year and pasting Plekanec and the Kostitsyn's to the boards.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanator76 View Post
I can't beleive it.

Hammer's importance to the team is so much more important than Komisarek's. Come on dude. The guy just had 33 points while getting limited PP time and more often than not playing with Brisebois and O'Byrne. Komisarek struggled all season long with Markov. The guy barely can move the puck. You don't pay high prices for D-Men who can't play with the puck.

Ken Holland said it himself a couple of months ago. It's stupid to lose big amounts of money on stay-at-home defensemen who just can't do anything with the puck.

Hamrlik logs off more minutes than Komisarek, usually makes great outlet passes and moves the puck well. The fact that he got 33 points without any quality PP time is a miracle in itself.

Hamrlik is one of the last guy you can blame. Komisarek's play was abysmal. If Gainey makes the mistake to trade Hamrlik in order to keep Komisarek, we're toasted. That's gonna mean that the only d-man who can play in all 3 zones that we have left is Markov.

Hamrlik is a great player. Maybe not worth all his money, but a big part of it. He's solid everywhere on the ice, and even if he had a sub-par season, he still managed to play decently while being paired with trash all year long.

I wish the Komisarek fanboys would be objective and stop being so emotive in their answers. You've gotta keep who brings the most, and right now, in a puck possession team like Montreal, what Hamrlik brings is much more important than what Komisarek brings.
First, I'm a girl.

We're a puck possession team? Really? I wish we were, but the truth is that this team has no identity.

Komisarek is about to enter his prime.Hamrlik is declining. That's it. We let go of one of our most important core players and important part of our D to keep Hamrlik who's gone in one or two years?
Short term it looks good because Komisarek is coming off one of his worst seasons and people hate him and bla bla bla, but I'm sick and tired of this team losing players for nothing. Let's see next year what this team looks like without Komi. Yes, he's unidimensional, but he actually bring a dimension that is non-existent in this team.

Komi had a bad year. But don't fool me and pretend that Hammer wasn't brutal at times. Everyone sucked this year.
The best thing the Habs could do is keep both.
We need to add to our defence, not dismantle it (except for Breezer and Bouillon )

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
We should have locked Komisarek up long-term last summer or the summer before. Komisarek might be our only defenceman with a chip on his shoulder and that is aggravating to play against.

I'm a Gainey apologist and I can understand why he let Souray and Streit walk. However, we have invested a lot in Komisarek who is about to enter his prime. Bob should never have allowed Komisarek to get to this position. It will really stink if he's playing for the Leafs next year and pasting Plekanec and the Kostitsyn's to the boards.
this is coming from a big Komo fan .

if he cant get it done in the 3.75-4.25 million area then June 26-27 his rights would be dealt (if it was me) .

if some other team thinks he is worth 6 then fine best of luck , 6 here i dont think works .

for 6 million a year you need to have some type of offense stats AND i really like Komo but i dont think he is top 5 d in the NHL so how can we pay him those dollars? .....Regehr 4 million lets argue right?

higher the salary higher expectation and trust me as most here know at 6 million you best bring your " a" game every night not any room for error, for if you dont ask Breezer about big money in Montreal.I dont think he would have caught the flack he did at say 2.5 million .

all that said the balls in the big guys court, hopefully he still wants to play in Montreal , if not? not alot we can do we can do from here .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 05-10-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Bull. It's the taxes. All anyone cares about anymore is freakin money. They use the media and the over zealous fans as an excuse. It's THE MONEY (Taxes). Wake up people.
When players are making as much money as they are, they can invest in a lot of things and make even more.
Also, we offered more money to many UFAs in order to try to lure them. But they still refused.

It's not like they don't pay taxes in other cities too. It might not be as high as Mtl, but some are still pretty high. And some of that money comes back to them. Medicare is also a great advantage compared to US cities.

I think the taxes excuse is a really bad one.

The main issue is obviously the Pressure of playing in a market like ours. Not only are the expectations on the team always high, but if you don't perform it'll be a hell hole for you and your family.
The Pressure is set by the Fans and the Media here.

I think you have to be a fool to think coming to play in a city where you have a huge microscope over you is not an important factor in some of the players' decisions.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 03:53 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
First, I'm a girl.

We're a puck possession team? Really? I wish we were, but the truth is that this team has no identity.

Komisarek is about to enter his prime.Hamrlik is declining. That's it. We let go of one of our most important core players and important part of our D to keep Hamrlik who's gone in one or two years?
Short term it looks good because Komisarek is coming off one of his worst seasons and people hate him and bla bla bla, but I'm sick and tired of this team losing players for nothing. Let's see next year what this team looks like without Komi. Yes, he's unidimensional, but he actually bring a dimension that is non-existent in this team.

Komi had a bad year. But don't fool me and pretend that Hammer wasn't brutal at times. Everyone sucked this year.
The best thing the Habs could do is keep both.
We need to add to our defence, not dismantle it (except for Breezer and Bouillon )
We have puck possession players, therefore we're a puck possession team.
Your skilled players are what make you win. We can agree Defense isn't our strong suit, so we're more of an offensive team. If we look at our skilled forwards, Koivu/Tang/Kovalev/A.Kost/S.Kost/Plek are players that are best when they control the puck.
Lats can play a control game and can play the 2nd forecheck role.

So yes, we are (or were) a puck possession team.

As for Komi vs Hamrlik, first off I don't see what's the idea that we'd have to trade Hammer to keep Komi. We can easily keep both.
The only way I'd trade Hammer is if we'd get a top 3-4D that can up decent PP pts.

Personally, I think we need to keep both AND sign/trade another one.

Just wanted to mention that Hamrlik had a bad season, but Komi's was worse.
Last year, without Hamrlik, we were as lost as we looked this year without Markov.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 05:35 PM
BigTime

Anyone who has watch Komi while in Montreal knows that he brings a lot to the game and has star qualities written all over him. However there are so many holes in his game, even tho he is a star shot blockers, big body hitter he still breaks down defensively and has no offensive talent. I would say he worth is easy 3.5 to 4.5 million a year. Now it is also fair to that many other teams have seen how much of force he can be and wouldnt be scared to take a chance and offer upwards to 6 million (anything more is a ridiculous over payment)
From a Habs fan point of view, i love komisarek and would love to see him develop and perfect his game further in montreal for the next 5 years, but not at the price of over 5 million. Sadly i can see another team making that big offer and Montreal unfortunetly (but wisely) having to et him go
perfect contract 4yrs 4.5 mil
might have to pay 5 yrs 5.25 mil

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
When players are making as much money as they are, they can invest in a lot of things and make even more.
Also, we offered more money to many UFAs in order to try to lure them. But they still refused.
It's not like they don't pay taxes in other cities too. It might not be as high as Mtl, but some are still pretty high. And some of that money comes back to them. Medicare is also a great advantage compared to US cities.

I think the taxes excuse is a really bad one.

The main issue is obviously the Pressure of playing in a market like ours. Not only are the expectations on the team always high, but if you don't perform it'll be a hell hole for you and your family.
The Pressure is set by the Fans and the Media here.

I think you have to be a fool to think coming to play in a city where you have a huge microscope over you is not an important factor in some of the players' decisions.
Our offers for Briere, Shanahan and Elias where all less net than where they signed.

Translation - MONEY

Old
05-10-2009, 06:09 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPG24 View Post
Anyone who has watch Komi while in Montreal knows that he brings a lot to the game and has star qualities written all over him. However there are so many holes in his game, even tho he is a star shot blockers, big body hitter he still breaks down defensively and has no offensive talent. I would say he worth is easy 3.5 to 4.5 million a year. Now it is also fair to that many other teams have seen how much of force he can be and wouldnt be scared to take a chance and offer upwards to 6 million (anything more is a ridiculous over payment)
From a Habs fan point of view, i love komisarek and would love to see him develop and perfect his game further in montreal for the next 5 years, but not at the price of over 5 million. Sadly i can see another team making that big offer and Montreal unfortunetly (but wisely) having to et him go
perfect contract 4yrs 4.5 mil
might have to pay 5 yrs 5.25 mil
If Gainey pays 5,25M for Komisarek, I'm done with him.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:11 AM
BigTime

I couldnt agree more....the thing is another team will easily pay him that maybe more
personally i think he's worth 3.5 / 4 million right now....but he may turn out to become a great shut down defensemen

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Doc McKenna

When hitting UFA should your abilities have a question mark on them for 6 million? I would hope not. For that get Dumbo Joe and try to outscore the opponents. Because Komi's D games isnn't good when he's running around trying to hit guys to pad his stats.

Doc McKenna is online now   Reply With Quote