HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3. Washington Capitals @ Pittsburgh Penguins. 5/6/2009. Mellon Arena. 7 PM.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:15 PM
dbui72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
This is among the stupidest things I've ever read on here. Washington's D in 1998 was nothing short of incredible. And comparing one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest is just pointless; our entire squad is a work in progress.
I did not say they were better, I said how they played the game.

That team relied on Bondra to score and when he did not we really had no offense. I am making a comparison on this team relying on AO, who basically scored 3 of our 4 goals in the 2nd game and any other regular season game.

Also I really do not care how young or old the team is, my main point is their attack is not refined or the transition from d to O outlet passing is not smooth. When we are sloppy getting it to O, Pens come back at us. This is why I think we were tired, besides those 7 penalties. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...ly_really.html

Deal with it dude, our team is too disjointed. We cannot win on goalie saving us every game, look at the Rangers, Lundi carried them so far. Maybe we do not match up against the Pens new style, but we are clearly not the better team in this series. , Just being a realist. I am a Caps fan, but not some irrational homer to blind to see what is wrong with our team. Just my perspective. I welcome yours, besides calling something just stupid.

Last edited by dbui72: 05-07-2009 at 02:46 PM.
dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You know its bad when Mafki is raging.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...g-its-not.html

it had to be done

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
good job mcphee go to bat for your boys.
This also made me smile :

A few Caps forwards are nicked up, but if a forward is indeed en route to Pittsburgh, don't be surprised to see him replace Michael Nylander in the lineup.

It was inevitable after such a horrid game from #92, but it still brought a smile to my face.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:32 PM
txpd

The undertaker at his best. I personally didnt get the Varlamov slashing penalty. He gets crosschecked in the head to no penalty in game 2. Then gets run over by Malkin and then pushes on him with the bottom of his stick and gets slashing??

Is that rookie school? Like GMGM says, thats for the regular season. Not the playoffs. Not when the score sheet is already so totally tilted in one direction.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
capsfn95

good for mcphee, somebody needed to say it.

capsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
I wanted to bring that up last night (but figured most were watching the Versus feed).

They need to lead Cole out behind the barn and take care of him.
Glad I missed that. The Versus love was bad enough. We had to hear about Mario and see fans in the stands and see Mario and hear from Sidney and see Mario and the we got a feature on the former Pens coach which I didn't even bother to watch since I was already sick of all the Pens love.

Quote:
You know its bad when Mafki is raging.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...g-its-not.html

You're right. We rarely, if ever, hear GMGM say anything about games and reffing. Glad to see him taking a page from the Rangers GM's page and taking his case to the media and backing up BB. Let's see if it helps. Hopefully the national media runs with some of his comments.

WTG GMGM!

On a somewhat related note, Ted is on the Sports Reporters on ESPN 980 today at around 4:20/4:25. It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Also, Gary Bettman will be on The John Thompson Show Friday at 2:30 p.m. I wish Koken was still on since I know he'd press Gary B on reffing and the Brashear suspension in light of other plays that were just as bad, if not worse, without a suspension.

Last edited by LadyIce: 05-07-2009 at 03:06 PM.
LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

I'm not glad the Caps lost, but I'm almost glad. It's good for the NHL to have it still be a series and if the Caps would have won last night it would be impossible to fight overconfidence because of Varlamov.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
I'm not glad the Caps lost, but I'm almost glad. It's good for the NHL to have it still be a series and if the Caps would have won last night it would be impossible to fight overconfidence because of Varlamov.
**** the NHL.

Good to see Mcphee say something about the refs. It needed to be said.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:57 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...estigatin.html

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Lario Melieux*

Simeon Varlamov

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:36 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Glad to see our esteemed bartender is all over it.

Here's the Puck Daddy Version

NBC 4 led with the story right behind the gas explosion in Forestville.

Last edited by LadyIce: 05-07-2009 at 06:43 PM.
LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:15 PM
frasnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbui72 View Post
Not one loss, but how they play even when they won in the Ranger series and Pittsburgh games. I have been consistent with my ramblings on this. Look at the way the d gets it to the forward, by lobbing it in the neutral zone off the boards blindly. Next time count how many times they do that in the game, then wonder why the Pens attack us constantly when they are just waiting to intercept on the boards in the neutral zone.

Like I said, look at a top team like Detroit how they bring the puck up and tic tac toe into the O zone.

There is a reason whey Detroit swept Washington in the finals a few years ago and Pittsburgh last year.

We are better than the Bondra years, being that we have more consistent weapons. However we are the same that we are still not , a term I saw on here, a cohesive team in our attack. The tactic of giving it to AO so he can try to bull his way in the O zone is not sustainable in the playoffs. Look at how the Rangers shut down OV and Flyers last year.
There's no other team in the league that does that like Detroit does, and there are two huge reasons for that: more than a decade of similar system play throughout the organization, and some guy named Lidstrom. The Caps boast neither of those. They're working on the former, though.

They do boast, however, an abundance of forwards with the capability of bringing the puck through the neutral zone with a high success rate--I would suggest, actually, that they're about the most successful team in the league at doing that. I remember what it was like watching this team try to gain entry to the zone, especially on the PP, in the lean years, I remember what it was like during the Jagr years, and I remember what it was like during the top-of-the-league-PP Bondra/Gonchar years. This team blows them all out of the water in that respect. It's like night and day.

Would a more stable and consistent feeding system from defense to forwards help? Yes. Is gap control something this team struggles with when it's playing poorly? Absolutely. But I think this team has shown that when it gives a consistent effort it can take it to anyone in the league, including Detroit. For while Detroit has Lidstrom, the Caps have some other guy capable of singlehandedly changing how his team, not to mention the other team, plays.

There's more than one way to fry an egg, and I think the Caps have shown that their system works.

Second rate my ass. Defend it all you want, but that's an inferiority complex.

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:22 AM
PTmbp13

geez, why play green on defense? he clearly suck, giveaways every night, going way too early,leaving the goalie alone. he makes stupid ,real stupid simple defensive plays.

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote