HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Draft Talk : Live From Montreal! Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2009, 03:08 PM
  #726
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
He doesn't worth trading up for.
He doesn't?
I think the team that drafts Kane will be extremely happy in a few years. He's got such a great blend of speed, strength and skill.

Fozz is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
  #727
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
He doesn't?
I think the team that drafts Kane will be extremely happy in a few years. He's got such a great blend of speed, strength and skill.
We'll see.

Chomsky is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 03:23 PM
  #728
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midgetland
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Actually, I would not give up much to draft Kane. Think he is potential bust. Or disappointment be better word. I would be content just to stay where we are and draft Kreider. If he is gone, I would trade down a few notches and pick up a 2nd round pick for doing so.
I don't know about that. I haven't seen him play to be honest , but what I'm reading about him is drawing a picture that is close to an Iginla potential player; Fast and mean with the necessary puck control abilities to acquire vision in development if it is lacking.

That's the kind of centre Montreal needs essentially.

vokiel is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 04:00 PM
  #729
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,998
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't know about that. I haven't seen him play to be honest , but what I'm reading about him is drawing a picture that is close to an Iginla potential player; Fast and mean with the necessary puck control abilities to acquire vision in development if it is lacking.

That's the kind of centre Montreal needs essentially.
I guess you missed the World Juniors this year. He played very, very well. McGuire raved about Kane.

onice is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 04:24 PM
  #730
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midgetland
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I guess you missed the World Juniors this year. He played very, very well. McGuire raved about Kane.
Last WJC I watched were with Tavares and Subban taking most the spotlight. I have no idea which WJC you are talking about.

Edit: Well apparently he was on the roster... damn Subban distortion field

vokiel is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
  #731
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I guess you missed the World Juniors this year. He played very, very well. McGuire raved about Kane.
If McGuire raved about him that is the kiss of death for sure. The guy's right once in a blue moon.

GNick42 is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 05:52 PM
  #732
Stan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
If McGuire raved about him that is the kiss of death for sure. The guy's right once in a blue moon.
Not a huge McGuire fan but...Zach Parise springs to mind

Stan is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 06:17 PM
  #733
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Not a huge McGuire fan but...Zach Parise springs to mind
I said once in a blue moon....McGuire isn't due for another 4 years

GNick42 is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 06:37 PM
  #734
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally
 
Galchenyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
alright i guess that answers my question but maybe Ms. Kane slept with the plumber or something....they ARE brothers, i KNOW it
No relation.

Galchenyum is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 07:43 PM
  #735
Tortue
Registered User
 
Tortue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
I thought he was absolutely useless at the worlds. I had decent expectations for the guy joining the team late but he hasn't done anything that I could not of done.

Tortue is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 07:48 PM
  #736
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
I would personally go for Schenn before Kane...

Habruti! is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
  #737
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
He doesn't?
I think the team that drafts Kane will be extremely happy in a few years. He's got such a great blend of speed, strength and skill.
I agree with you. I'm flabbergasted by those who wouldn't be thrilled to add Evander Kane to our organization. The kid scored 48 goals as a 17 year old in the always defensive Dub!!!! Also, he was great in the WJC....fast and one of Canada's best players along the wall and he kept getting better as the tournament went on. By the end of it, he was on the #1PK and received lots of icetime as an underager....Pat Quinns' confidence in Evander kept growing.

This kid has huge upside!

Schooner Guy is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
  #738
blarneylad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I agree with you. I'm flabbergasted by those who wouldn't be thrilled to add Evander Kane to our organization. The kid scored 48 goals as a 17 year old in the always defensive Dub!!!! Also, he was great in the WJC....fast and one of Canada's best players along the wall and he kept getting better as the tournament went on. By the end of it, he was on the #1PK and received lots of icetime as an underager....Pat Quinns' confidence in Evander kept growing.

This kid has huge upside!
I'd be thrilled if montreal moved up to draft him. Building for the future is always important.

Sometimes its important to play in the present too though, so if that means trading our 1st round pick to acquire a 'roster' player then I'd be happy with that (see Tanguay).

blarneylad is offline  
Old
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
  #739
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I agree with you. I'm flabbergasted by those who wouldn't be thrilled to add Evander Kane to our organization. The kid scored 48 goals as a 17 year old in the always defensive Dub!!!! Also, he was great in the WJC....fast and one of Canada's best players along the wall and he kept getting better as the tournament went on. By the end of it, he was on the #1PK and received lots of icetime as an underager....Pat Quinns' confidence in Evander kept growing.

This kid has huge upside!
Landon Ferraro scored 37 goals on the ********* team in the Dub, where's the hype?

Chomsky is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 12:15 AM
  #740
DaHabMan
Registered User
 
DaHabMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
i dont think gainey will trade to go that high......it will cost too many assets. He might trade slightly up or most likely down (hoping).

DaHabMan is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 12:29 PM
  #741
Maitz
Pachy-Gally-Collby
 
Maitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Hey guys, I read a little bit about Peter Holland, looks like the right deal, a PPG big centerman and seems like he'll be available in the 18-25 range. Maybe Timmins should take a look at him. Looks like he is playing like Jeff Carter. Can someone give me some reports about him ?

Maitz is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 02:11 PM
  #742
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 500
here the latest nhl.com article

Rimouski Oceanic Jordan Caron

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
  #743
vad87
Registered User
 
vad87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
Is Kreider in the same situation that Kopitar if we look at the 2005 draft? The kid plays in a less competitive league but he's outstanding. If you remember the 05 draft, everybody knew that Kopitar had a lot of skills, size,etc but everyone was also doubtful about the competition level he faced(playing in Slovenia). Kreider as amazing speed, great offensive skills, good size and could be a hell of a center for years to come.

vad87 is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
  #744
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Is Kreider in the same situation that Kopitar if we look at the 2005 draft? The kid plays in a less competitive league but he's outstanding. If you remember the 05 draft, everybody knew that Kopitar had a lot of skills, size,etc but everyone was also doubtful about the competition level he faced(playing in Slovenia). Kreider as amazing speed, great offensive skills, good size and could be a hell of a center for years to come.
Kreider playes in the US prep league, it's less competitive but still a well known league. The Habs have had, Higgins, Pacioretty and Paquet all play in the same league as Kreider so they know what to expect from that league vs Kopitar who I assume is the only player drafted from Slovenia although I could be wrong.

montreal is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
  #745
Genghis Keon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Is Kreider in the same situation that Kopitar if we look at the 2005 draft? The kid plays in a less competitive league but he's outstanding. If you remember the 05 draft, everybody knew that Kopitar had a lot of skills, size,etc but everyone was also doubtful about the competition level he faced(playing in Slovenia). Kreider as amazing speed, great offensive skills, good size and could be a hell of a center for years to come.
Kopitar was drafted out of the Swedish Elite League. It was just his heritage that was questioned (though maybe it was just his skating, and we fans wrongly assume his Slovenian heritage was the reason for his fall).

Genghis Keon is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
  #746
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
Kopitar was drafted out of the Swedish Elite League. It was just his heritage that was questioned (though maybe it was just his skating, and we fans wrongly assume his Slovenian heritage was the reason for his fall).
Good point, I forgot he was drafted out of the SEL.

montreal is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
  #747
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Landon Ferraro scored 37 goals on the ********* team in the Dub, where's the hype?
The bizarre dislike for Evander Kane is getting stranger by the minute. I like Landon Ferraro but he is nowhere near being in the same prospect class as Kane.

--Kane 48 goals; Ferraro 37 goals
--Kane 96 points; Ferraro 55 points
--Kane is listed by Central Scouting at 6'1.25" and 176 lbs; Ferraro 5'11.25" and 165 lbs
--Kane played key role in Canada's 2009 gold medal team against the best players in the world; Ferraro didn't get invited to camp
--CSB final rankings has Kane at #3 among NA born players; Ferraro is #18 for NA
--ISS April rankings has Kane at #5; Ferraro at #17
--TSN's rankings on draft lottery day (April) has Kane at #4; Ferraro not listed in top 15 (Ferraro was ranked #23 in TSN's mid-year ranking)
--McKeen's spring rankings has Kane at #3; Ferraro not listed in Top 10
--RLR's April rankings has Kane at #5; Ferraro not listed in Top 10
--Scouts sitting next to me at WJC games in Ottawa were drooling over Kane's play and upside; Chomsky from HF Boards says Kane isn't worth trading up for.

I have nothing against Ferraro as a prospect and have him on my shortlist of possibilities for the Habs at #18. But why should I take anyone here serious when they groundlessly suggest Kane is going to be a bust? The sky is the limit for this kid. He is a top tier prospect. He's fast, he's growing like a weed, his development is progressing at a highly accelarated pace, he's great along the wall, he has great hands, his game is multi-dimensional, he plays well defensively, he was a valuable asset in the WJC as a 17 year old against the best 19 year olds in the world, etc.

The Habs haven't selected a forward who was this highly heralded, leading up to the draft, in almost 30 years.

Schooner Guy is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
  #748
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
But why should I take anyone here serious when they groundlessly suggest Kane is going to be a bust? The sky is the limit for this kid. He is a top tier prospect. He's fast, he's growing like a weed, his development is progressing at a highly accelarated pace, he's great along the wall, he has great hands, his game is multi-dimensional, he plays well defensively, he was a valuable asset in the WJC as a 17 year old against the best 19 year olds in the world, etc.
I don't think Kane will bust, but I've also said all year long that comparisons to Iginla are unfair and inaccurate. I've seen him probably at least 25 times this year in regular season, WJC and playoffs and despite this I'm still unsure about what kind of player Kane will be at the next level. I'm just trying to say that to me, Kane is anything but a sure bet. He may end up being an explosive 40G scorer in the NHL, he may be a solid top 6 player, or he may be a 3rd line checker who brings speed and sandpaper to your line up.

6'0 180lbs is very small for the style he plays. He obviously will continue to grow but people expecting him to be a powerforward who will physically dominate the opposition may be disappointed. To me he doesn't project to have have the natural strength and brute force (not to mention mean streak) which allows a guy like Iginla to dominate physically despite his relatively small size. (6'1 210lbs)

Plus his playoff performance was very underwhelming. He showed a lack of discipline and composure with the number of useless penalties he took in each series not to mention he was clearly frustrated at not being able to maneuver through the tight checking. If he's struggling against WHL caliber defencemen when he's watched closely, what will it be like in the NHL? Obviously I don't expect him to continue to struggle, but his performance in the playoffs did show that he has a ways to go before he's NHL ready imo.

*Also, I think the poster was just using Ferraro's goal total to make the argument about hyping a prospect, not necessarily putting Ferraro in Kane's class (which he obviously is not.)

Quiet Robert is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 05:33 PM
  #749
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
6'0 180lbs is very small for the style he plays. He obviously will continue to grow but people expecting him to be a powerforward who will physically dominate the opposition may be disappointed. To me he doesn't project to have have the natural strength and brute force (not to mention mean streak) which allows a guy like Iginla to dominate physically despite his relatively small size. (6'1 210lbs)
Kane measured in at 6'1.25" according to NHL's Central Scouting's final rankings. These are the measurements that NHL teams use. Kane could end up being a pretty big boy by the time he's in the NHL as he was listed at 5'10" last summer. Also, he won so many battles in the corners and along the wall during the WJC, and played his best in the big games. He has so many tools. It's all a moot point anyway because it's doubtful the Habs can afford to trade the necessary assets that it will take to land Kane in the draft.

Schooner Guy is offline  
Old
05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
  #750
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post

*Also, I think the poster was just using Ferraro's goal total to make the argument about hyping a prospect, not necessarily putting Ferraro in Kane's class (which he obviously is not.)
I understand that but it wasn't a fair "hype" comparison given Kane's point totals and overall pedigree.

Schooner Guy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.