HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coburn and Knuble Questions

Old
05-09-2009, 12:48 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I would definitely do Nabby for JVR and Jones. But San Jose would not.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Anybody can be moved.

It's all about the return.
Ok fine... he won't be moved. It's all about the semantics, I guess. Unless the Flyers get are getting a franchise defenseman, there is essentially no chance that he is traded.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:12 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I would definitely do Nabby for JVR and Jones. But San Jose would not.
Nabakov is easily the most overrated goalie in the game.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Anybody can be moved.

It's all about the return.
exactly. I would deal him if the return was right.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Nabakov is easily the most overrated goalie in the game.
After this past season I'd say he and Kipper are right up there in that category.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:46 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
yeah, i'd be more keen to deal coburn if vlasic was coming back

ehrhoff and nabby coming to philly would require a LOT of salary going to san jose. that's like 9 mil in cap coming to the flyers, who are in no position to take anything at the moment.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
yeah, i'd be more keen to deal coburn if vlasic was coming back

ehrhoff and nabby coming to philly would require a LOT of salary going to san jose. that's like 9 mil in cap coming to the flyers, who are in no position to take anything at the moment.
This. I like Vlasic a lot. Both still developing though.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:50 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Guys I put Rathje in to add some cap onto our side. I didnt know he was gooing to retire so I guess that eliminates that. We could take Jones of your hands if you want.
The thing is though, Rathje doesn't affect our cap...he's on LTIR, so his 3.5 Mill doesn't figure into our salaries.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
The thing is though, Rathje doesn't affect our cap...he's on LTIR, so his 3.5 Mill doesn't figure into our salaries.
He might be already retired -- after that brief ill fated comeback attempt -- He is treated different from what he was in the past, and also different than Hatcher was this past season... Rathje was no longer listed as a scratch, as Hatcher was each game, and his number has been reassigned.

Add to that that I believe Panaccio reported that he had official handed in his retirement papers before the season started... Or was that Carchidi?

In any case, yes he is no factor... Both $3.5M D-men that Clarke signed after the Lockout -- before anyone suspected that the 'New' NHL was actually going to follow through this time on the obstruction crackdown, which greatly took away their game -- are now off the books... And replaced by Homer's faster puck moving ones. With that in mind, I don't think Coburn will be pried loose without a deal that cannot be refused; one that has a quick D-man coming back in return... or in a collateral move. If J-Bo can be signed, I can see Coburn being moved... but not so if it could be avoided.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 05-09-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:13 PM
ThorntonFan19

Vlasic is arguably a #1 defenseman at 21. At his age thats freakish. If there is one guy that the sharks wont trade its him. But I understand Coburn is close to what Vlasic is for the sharks so that is probably just a pipe dream. Would you guys do VanRiemsdyk, Sbisa or 1st, and Jones for Nabokov? Just curious what your limits would be. And the reason for trading Nabokov is just because this team needs to change for the fact that if they don't it could seem acceptable for our guys to lose. We have too many young guys on our team that need to learn that losing isnt acceptable and that would be the basis of these moves. Changes need to be made to change character not skill. Also another guy im interested in is Gagne but i doubt anyone wants to move him.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Vlasic is arguably a #1 defenseman at 21. At his age thats freakish. If there is one guy that the sharks wont trade its him. But I understand Coburn is close to what Vlasic is for the sharks so that is probably just a pipe dream. Would you guys do VanRiemsdyk, Sbisa or 1st, and Jones for Nabokov? Just curious what your limits would be. And the reason for trading Nabokov is just because this team needs to change for the fact that if they don't it could seem acceptable for our guys to lose. We have too many young guys on our team that need to learn that losing isnt acceptable and that would be the basis of these moves. Changes need to be made to change character not skill. Also another guy im interested in is Gagne but i doubt anyone wants to move him.

With vanRiemsdyk, Sbisa and/or a 1st rounder you are talking about players that conceivably would be forces in the NHL for the next decade and beyond... Nabby has what, one year left on his current contract? And he is in his mid-thirties and had a GAA only slightly better than Biron but a lower save percentage. I personally can't see giving up any part of JvR, Sbisa or a 1st for basically a one year rental player... To allow me to give up any of them I would think that the Flyers would have to be committed to Nabby for an extended contract and be willing to sacrifice another quality D-man signing for his contract... An extension would have to be in place for me to even consider it.

Of course I speak for only myself on here... and I have no idea what Homer and his boys are thinking, beside what I have observed and detected over the past few years, and decades for Mr. Snider's MO.

Old
05-09-2009, 07:06 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
With vanRiemsdyk, Sbisa and/or a 1st rounder you are talking about players that conceivably would be forces in the NHL for the next decade and beyond... Nabby has what, one year left on his current contract? And he is in his mid-thirties and had a GAA only slightly better than Biron but a lower save percentage. I personally can't see giving up any part of JvR, Sbisa or a 1st for basically a one year rental player... To allow me to give up any of them I would think that the Flyers would have to be committed to Nabby for an extended contract and be willing to sacrifice another quality D-man signing for his contract... An extension would have to be in place for me to even consider it.

Of course I speak for only myself on here... and I have no idea what Homer and his boys are thinking, beside what I have observed and detected over the past few years, and decades for Mr. Snider's MO.
Make that 2 of us. Although for me it wouldn't matter Nabokov was signed for a few more years as I just don't see him as a huge upgrade to Biron...if I controlled whether we parted with any of JVR/Sbisa/1st, I would only consider moving any of them for a material upgrade.

Trading youth and 1st round draft picks for guys nearing the end is a perfect recipe for getting into trouble in the salary cap NHL.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Here's a better scenario for the Flyers, we trade Lupul for a 2nd, put JVR in his place and sign Khabibulin for 1 year at 7 mil, we differ JVR's bonuses until next season and we keep everyone else and still have room for injury call-ups. This way we get a better goalie than Nabakov, still only have to pay him for 1 year, we get a 2nd round pick and we still get to keep JVR, Sbisa AND our 09 1st. Why the hell would the flyers throw a ton of assets at you for a goalie when we can get a better one as a UFA for nothing??? Simply doesn't makes sense whe you look at it in this light does it???

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 08:30 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Here's a better scenario for the Flyers, we trade Lupul for a 2nd, put JVR in his place and sign Khabibulin for 1 year at 7 mil, we differ JVR's bonuses until next season and we keep everyone else and still have room for injury call-ups. This way we get a better goalie than Nabakov, still only have to pay him for 1 year, we get a 2nd round pick and we still get to keep JVR, Sbisa AND our 09 1st. Why the hell would the flyers throw a ton of assets at you for a goalie when we can get a better one as a UFA for nothing??? Simply doesn't makes sense whe you look at it in this light does it???
you're assuming JVR will be ready, that's a huge assumption and I think it's a misguided one

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
Make that 2 of us. Although for me it wouldn't matter Nabokov was signed for a few more years as I just don't see him as a huge upgrade to Biron...if I controlled whether we parted with any of JVR/Sbisa/1st, I would only consider moving any of them for a material upgrade.

Trading youth and 1st round draft picks for guys nearing the end is a perfect recipe for getting into trouble in the salary cap NHL.
Agreed.

Old
05-10-2009, 01:55 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
you're assuming JVR will be ready, that's a huge assumption and I think it's a misguided one
he may not be as good as even Lupul (the one on te top 6 whom he'd be replacing) but he'd most likely NOT be a liability and we have the offensive prowless to absorb the loss of Lupul.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 02:22 AM
ELab2

Quote:
he may not be as good as even Lupul (the one on te top 6 whom he'd be replacing) but he'd most likely NOT be a liability and we have the offensive prowless to absorb the loss of Lupul.
I don't really want him in the lineup if he's just "not a liability" I think it would be a mistake for his development. We have plenty of guys who can be 3rd and 4th liners, use them and let him develop.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 02:33 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Based off of what I saw last season with the Phantoms, he'd be a liability in the NHL.

Let's wait and see how he does with the Phantoms this season.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Would you guys do Nabokov, Joslin for VanRiemsdyk, Rathje, 2nd?
lets throw in bill barber as well lol

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote