HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Dan Blackburn in the Rangers Plans??

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Lafontaine2Mogilny

vCash: 500
Is Dan Blackburn in the Rangers Plans??

Is there any new info about Dan Blackburn out there?
Last I heard he was rehabing his shoulder after the scope he received a few months ago...Only thing is with all the goaltenders around (Weeks,Dunham,Labarbera) and even prospects such as Montoya and Lundqvist...is Blackburn in the Rangers future.

Old
09-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Bacchus

Both Montoya and Lundqvist are not going to play in Hartford this season. So if Blackburn is healthy, he will play.
For the future... The best one will play. Whoever that may be.

Old
09-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Edge

Depends on how he does. He has to make the club next season or clear waivers so I'm thinking they'll take it one step at a time.

For my money I'd say no, though it's more of a timing thing rather than a talent thing.

Old
09-27-2004, 08:46 PM
NYRangers

I dont think so. I dont even think Lundqvist really is, maybe as a backup for the team. It seems as if Montoya is the golden boy.

Old
09-27-2004, 09:26 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
I dont think so. I dont even think Lundqvist really is, maybe as a backup for the team. It seems as if Montoya is the golden boy.
that might be sather's plan but you'd have to be an absolute idiot to write-off blackburn and/or lundqvist before montoya even turns pro...if all things are equal then montoya might get picked, but if montoya isn't as good as blackburn or lundqvist then that 'plan' has to change

Old
09-27-2004, 09:36 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
that might be sather's plan but you'd have to be an absolute idiot to write-off blackburn and/or lundqvist before montoya even turns pro...if all things are equal then montoya might get picked, but if montoya isn't as good as blackburn or lundqvist then that 'plan' has to change
I never said I agree. But I think they will be pushing for Montoya to be the keeper of the franchise for the next 'X' years.

Old
09-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Edge

I dont think it matters who the chosen one is. The issue with Blackburn is whether or not it is reasonable to expect him to come back from missing 18 months of action and return to goalie of the future form in a little under 5 months of action {assuming he comes back in December}.

That's a tough call for anyone, regardless of their talent.

Old
09-27-2004, 10:19 PM
polako

hold the phone guys.....dunham isn't our goalie of the future????

Old
09-27-2004, 11:42 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dont think it matters who the chosen one is. The issue with Blackburn is whether or not it is reasonable to expect him to come back from missing 18 months of action and return to goalie of the future form in a little under 5 months of action {assuming he comes back in December}.

That's a tough call for anyone, regardless of their talent.
i don't think he has to return to goalie of the future form or even to the top of his game...he just has to get back to the point where he can return to ny as 1 of the 2 goalies, even if he is splitting time or as the backup...

while nothing is a given i think it is a fairly safe bet that both montoya and lundqvist will make atleast pitstops in hartford before reaching ny...so if blackburn makes it back to ny next season while one or both of those 2 make the jump to hartford that would give blackburn another whole year (or part of a year) before those 2 are fighting him for a spot at which point the rangers would have to decide if someone needs to get moved or if they would risk going with 2 young goalies.

my gutfeeling is that unless something unexpected happens or another team makes us an offer we can't refuse that all 3 goalies are safe for the next 2 years, at that point some decisions will need to be made (but hopefully by then one of them will make the decision for us)

Old
09-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Edge

I understand that, but there is a big different between being in someone's plans and holding down someone's fort. I think in the scenario we're discussing here it looks more like the latter.

Problem is I don't know if six months in the minors {And maybe what 25 starts?} followed by being thrown into the fire the next season really holds promise for his future with the team.

Closed Thread