HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #11, Part 4

Old
05-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Spitfire11

vCash: 500
Sorry, I didn't realize I had another pick to make up last night.

Detroit takes C Marty Walsh

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
D/C/LW Goldie Prodger
I've always seen this player listed as Goldie Prodgers, but everyone in here seems to write it as Prodger. Am I missing something?

Kyle McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

The KCBJ select hard-nosed defensive defenseman Robyn Regehr.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I've always seen this player listed as Goldie Prodgers, but everyone in here seems to write it as Prodger. Am I missing something?
No. "Prodger" is a mistake, but a common one made even during his time, so it's a standard alternative spelling.

He was born George Prodgers and even signed his WWI recruitment papers with that spelling:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=592697)

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:54 PM
seventieslord

According to SIHR, in their notes on him:

"His last name often appears as Prodgers, but it is Prodger, no 's'"

This is why I always call him Prodger.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:13 PM
papershoes

kenora is pleased to select their back-up goaltender - a top-notch athlete with a stellar trophy case...

john "bouse" hutton (g)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends of hockey
John "Bouse" Hutton was primarily known as the goaltender for the famous Ottawa Silver Seven septet, a team that featured stars such as Harry Westwick, Frank McGee, Billy Gilmour, and Harvey Pulford among others. He was also one of the top all around athletes of the early part of the 20th century. He was a champion lacrosse goaltender with the Ottawa Capitals, winning the first Minto Cup championship, and also played at fullback for the CFL's Ottawa Rough Riders football club.

Hutton began his hockey career with Ottawa in 1898-99, playing in two games. He saw full-time duty the following year and by his third year he had backstopped the Ottawa squad to an undefeated season. His steady play continued, and in 1903 the Ottawa Hockey Club won the Stanley Cup and were christened the Silver Seven because of the silver coins bestowed upon the players commemorating their victory.

Bouse was again in the net as Ottawa successfully defended Cup challenges from the Winnipeg Rowing Club in January 1904, the Toronto Marlboros in February 1904, and Brandon in March 1904. It was during this time that Hutton played on three championship teams at the same time--hockey, football, and lacrosse. He left his hockey career behind to play lacrosse in Brantford, Ontario, and then returned to Ottawa to coach hockey teams in the Ottawa City League. It was in 1908 that he went to England on a lacrosse tour that saw his squad win 23 of 24 games.

Bouse Hutton was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962.

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:27 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

643 - Leopold Stotch - Boston Braves - ON THE CLOCK

644 - arrbez - Inglewood Jacks
645 - arrbez - Inglewood Jacks
646 - Evil Speaker & Sturminator - Boston Bruins
647 - papershoes - Kenora Thistles
648 - shawnmullin & pappyline - Trail Smoke Eaters
649 - pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers
650 - ChampagneWishes - Killarney Country Bear Jamboree
651 - Mr. Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters
652 - Jungosi - Wacken Warriors

Old
05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Well, I'm here so I'll make my own picks tonight (I'm up next).

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
No. "Prodger" is a mistake, but a common one made even during his time, so it's a standard alternative spelling.

He was born George Prodgers and even signed his WWI recruitment papers with that spelling:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=592697)
That is actually pretty cool stuff.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:29 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize I had another pick to make up last night.

Detroit takes C Marty Walsh
Another tremendous selection by Spitfire, but in this draft it is so common it become boring. The biggest fan of your team is right here Spit!

Old
05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
arrbez
bad chi

I guess I'm up now. Picks coming shortly.

Old
05-12-2009, 12:34 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Inglewood rounds out it's lineup with two guys who bring leadership, physical play, defensive play, and solid offensive production.

C/LW Mel Bridgman

RW/LW Shane Doan

There's a couple enticing offensive players out there still, but I decided to address team needs instead. Bridgman and Doan give me a lot of flexibility for my 4th line, and would allow for a more defensive-minded unit if need be.

Last edited by arrbez: 05-12-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old
05-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Kyle McMahon

Whenever my final pick comes up, go ahead and skip if I'm not online.

Kyle McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:14 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Inglewood rounds out it's lineup with two guys who bring leadership, physical play, defensive play, and solid offensive production.

C/LW Mel Bridgman

RW/LW Shane Doan

There's a couple enticing offensive players out there still, but I decided to address team needs instead. Bridgman and Doan give me a lot of flexibility for my 4th line, and would allow for a more defensive-minded unit if need be.
Doaner's an awesome pick for a spare part. You need character for your fourth line, or 13th/14th forward. Doan's character is among the best in the NHL today. Great guy. (Contrary to what a linesman with bad hearing, and a bunch of buffoonish separatists think. But all separatists are buffoons). Doan is an excellent power forward who can fill in on a defensive third line or a gritty fourth line.

He's my type of player, my type of person. And he really is Captain Canada.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:26 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Doaner's an awesome pick for a spare part. You need character for your fourth line, or 13th/14th forward. Doan's character is among the best in the NHL today. Great guy. (Contrary to what a linesman with bad hearing, and a bunch of buffoonish separatists think. But all separatists are buffoons). Doan is an excellent power forward who can fill in on a defensive third line or a gritty fourth line.

Agreed, I can't wait to see him lead the Hamilton Blackberries deep into the playoffs next year.

Old
05-12-2009, 01:41 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
I was hoping Doan would fall so good grab there arb.

And speaking of Hamilton, don't you think the best bet realistically would be to call them the "Ontario whatevers" so you can lure in fans from all around?

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:16 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:

That's just disrespectful. Kind of things you should keep to yourself if you don't want to look foolish. And to be honest, your hockey opinion is pretty much the only thing we'd like to hear form you in this thread. Anything else, there's the political board.

Old
05-12-2009, 02:34 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
That's just disrespectful. Kind of things you should keep to yourself if you don't want to look foolish. And to be honest, your hockey opinion is pretty much the only thing we'd like to hear form you in this thread. Anything else, there's the political board.
Well, I find separatists in general to be disrespectful, so it's a moot point. (And not just those in Quebec. I have even less respect for Western Separatists).

I love Quebec. I love the language. I took seven years of French Immersion. I wasn't good at it, but I got a little thing on my high school diploma that said I was bilingual. I love the bilingual nature of Montreal. I think Quebec City is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The history there is incredible. My Canada includes Quebec. I just wish the separatists would realize how great Canada is, how much better they are now than if they had their own country, and how much Canada benefits from having the English and Francophone cultures together.

But I couldn't allow the selection of Doan to go by without some form of a shot at the BQ and their backers. I've done it before. I'll do it again.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:44 AM
EagleBelfour

You'll do it again, but you shouldn't. Especially the way you wrote it. There's a bunch of other threads, website, social environment to diffuse your opinion on other subject not related to hockey. I'm sure you're able to use them. But hell, do as you wish, it's not someone on the Internet to tell you how to live your life.

Old
05-12-2009, 03:58 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
So I'm thinking I probably won't make my pick tonight, anyone gonna be around to pass a list around?

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

The Boston Bruins select LW/D Reggie Fleming.

Nice (new, I think) article on this guy here. An excerpt from the article:

Quote:
He was a highly effective utility forward though he originally was a defenseman. Born in Montreal, Fleming spent most of his junior and minor league career playing defense. However due to his small size (5'8" 170lbs) he was converted to a left wing for much of his NHL career. With his decent speed and physical, hustling style he was an extraordinary penalty killer. Another reason for his great penalty killing was he was a superb defensive forward, as many players are once they are converted from the blueline to the forward position. Fleming already had a great understanding of defensive positioning by the time he moved up.

He was also a pesky player. He loved to get under the skin of the opponents, disrupting them from their game, thus giving his team a much better chance of victory. The opposition hated him, but Chicago fans loved him.

Fleming started his career with his hometown Montreal Canadiens, but only saw limited action in just 3 games. ...It was in Chicago that he was converted to left wing, though also saw time along the blueline when need be.

In his first year in Chicago teammates nicknamed him "Mr. Clean" because of his bullnecked, crew cut appearance that resembled the mascot for the famous cleaning product. But in actuality Fleming was one of the NHL's dirtier players. He would lead the league in penalty minutes in 1965-66 and had a career total of 1468 PIM in 749 games.
Just the kind of utility player we want.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:04 AM
papershoes

in a move that should surprise no-one, the kenora thistles are pleased to finalize their roster by selecting their assistant coach...

john muckler (assistant coach)

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Like Kyle, skip me if I'm not online when my pick comes up.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

648 - shawnmullin & pappyline - Trail Smoke Eaters - ON THE CLOCK (two hours remaining) (HE ASKED IF ANYONE IS AROUND TO TAKE A LIST - DID ANYONE?)

649 - pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers
650 - ChampagneWishes - Killarney Country Bear Jamboree - TO BE SKIPPED
651 - Mr. Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters
652 - Jungosi - Wacken Warriors
653 - Zamboni Mania - Colorado Avalanche
654 - spitfire11 - Detroit Red Wings
655 - VanIslander & Hockey Outsider - Thunder Bay Twins
656 - Mr. Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters

Old
05-12-2009, 11:34 AM
MXD

Quote:

I just wish the separatists would realize how great Canada is, how much better they are now than if they had their own country.
As somebody who studied Canadian Constitutionnal Law (and sorta working in this field as well), I could write five pages on why this statement is wrong, but I'll abstain, considering I might be the only person to find this interesting.

The BQ annoys me as much as other political parties in Canada do - but I'd like to mention that the champion in the Anti-Doan case was Denis Coderre.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote