HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

simeon next season

Old
05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Foy, Agree, it just confirms what many Caps fans were saying about why McPhee walked away from the term Huet wanted.

Scenarios:

A) He is on the roster as a tandem goalie with Varlamov and in summer of '10 hits UFA free agency; cap hit for next season as scheduled right now, 4.5M. Johnson becomes a UFA.

B) He is traded during the off-season. No Theodore cap hit. Caps re-sign Johnson to work in a tandem with Varlamov, perhaps a 2 year contract, maybe 1 year. Or find another vet to work in a tandem.

C) Theodore is bought out. Cap hit for '09-10 and '10-11. 1.5M cap hit each year. 2/3 of 4.5M spread out over twice the contract length remaining. See above about Johnson/vet.

D) Theodore is waived at the beginning of the season and is claimed. New team has the 1 year cap hit, Caps have no cap hit. Not claimed he is sent to Hershey/AHL and placed on re-entry. If he is claimed, new team 50% cap hit/Caps 50% so each team would have a 2.25M cap hit in '09-10 and then Theodore is UFA. See above about Johnson/vet.

Note 1: I saw a Johnson update within the last week where he said something to the effect that he talked once with the Caps about his future prior to the injury and surgery, but sounded like nothing since then.

Note 2: Neuvirth, like Varlamov, has 2 years remaining on his ELC after this season. Holtby's 3 year ELC starts next season (this season it slid, so technically it is a 4 year ELC.) Machesney is RFA this summer.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
bgroban

Wow - combining Czarly's regular season + post season... 10-2-1 with a ridiculous GAA. Not too shabby.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Johnson's durability is also is question. So while he's pretty close to the ideal character for a back-up role, I don't know if you really want those kinds of durability questions heading into next season. Maybe his surgery corrects some of the nagging things he's faced in the past, maybe not.

Theodore's contract could be buried in the AHL and his cap hit would be gone but that's a lot to ask the org. to eat. If that did happen, would you really want to take time away from Neuvirth & Holtby in Hershey? You'd rather loan him out to someone else in that scenario and while that may be easier than finding an AHL loan destination for Neuvirth earlier in the season it won't be easy. The org. will already be shelling out $7M+ for minimal return as it is by the looks of things to Nylander & Clark.

Theodore has been relegated to back-up duty in the past. You can't imagine that he likes it but too bad. If he wants to stay in the league then he has to make the best of it and show that he still has what it takes when called on.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Johnson's durability is also is question. So while he's pretty close to the ideal character for a back-up role, I don't know if you really want those kinds of durability questions heading into next season. Maybe his surgery corrects some of the nagging things he's faced in the past, maybe not.

Theodore's contract could be buried in the AHL and his cap hit would be gone but that's a lot to ask the org. to eat. If that did happen, would you really want to take time away from Neuvirth & Holtby in Hershey? You'd rather loan him out to someone else in that scenario and while that may be easier than finding an AHL loan destination for Neuvirth earlier in the season it won't be easy. The org. will already be shelling out $7M+ for minimal return as it is by the looks of things to Nylander & Clark.

Theodore has been relegated to back-up duty in the past. You can't imagine that he likes it but too bad. If he wants to stay in the league then he has to make the best of it and show that he still has what it takes when called on.
I have a hard time seeing Theodore in the AHL next season, only if they think assigning him and putting him on re-entry would result in a claim and that is what they decide they want to do.

Due to age, durability, and more, I like the idea of a vet to tandem with Varlamov and if Theodore is ok behind the scenes, I don't see why they wouldn't just keep him, unless they are really keen on re-signing Johnson. Do I think he thought he was going to be sitting for the playoff run, no, but I also think he knew what was in the pipeline when he signed with the Caps.

As you point out, there are questions with Johnson, too, returning from injury and based on history.

Old
05-05-2009, 12:13 PM
txpd

Johnson's durability is a question. But, that is why you have Neuvirth. Isn't it? Johnson's injuries have always been shorter term than longer. He is liable to miss 15 or 20 games max with his sort of injuries not full seasons. Frankly Varlamov's durability has been a question mark.

I still think that now that Varlamov has established himself and the Caps have a veteran backup goaltender that has proven to be capable in that role that they go that way. Keeping Theodore over Johnson almost guarantees that they have a different backup goalie after next season.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Rumblick

THey simply can't see Hershey as an option for Theodore. Neuvirth, based on his late season and playoff performance, HAS TO BE the guy in Chocolatetown. Holtby will either be the backup in Hershey or they'll give him a year as the #1 in SC if they decide to bring Machesney back as a #2 guy. This organization is loaded between the pipes, and the kids have to play.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
THey simply can't see Hershey as an option for Theodore. Neuvirth, based on his late season and playoff performance, HAS TO BE the guy in Chocolatetown. Holtby will either be the backup in Hershey or they'll give him a year as the #1 in SC if they decide to bring Machesney back as a #2 guy. This organization is loaded between the pipes, and the kids have to play.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that he actually "play" if and when assigned to the Bears. More of a paper move in hopes of someone picking him up on re-entry (which would be a larger cap hit than a buy out...but would only be for the season and not the next as well).

I have high hopes for Holtby...so I'd like to see something work out where he is splitting time in Hershey with someone. At some point...one of these guys is going to be moved, I'd think.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
SouthernBaseball

I wouldn't compare Varlamov's situation to Price that much. The pressure won't be as tough because of the language wall.

SouthernBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

I'd have to think that someone desperate for a netminder would take a Contract year Theodore, but I don't know who's desperate for a Netminder. Philly, Colorado again, Edmonton, the Leafs?

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I have a hard time seeing Theodore in the AHL next season, only if they think assigning him and putting him on re-entry would result in a claim and that is what they decide they want to do.

Due to age, durability, and more, I like the idea of a vet to tandem with Varlamov and if Theodore is ok behind the scenes, I don't see why they wouldn't just keep him, unless they are really keen on re-signing Johnson. Do I think he thought he was going to be sitting for the playoff run, no, but I also think he knew what was in the pipeline when he signed with the Caps.

As you point out, there are questions with Johnson, too, returning from injury and based on history.
I agree re: Hershey, if only because him being there would deny Machessney or Neuvirth much needed work at the AHL level. I also agree that having Theo as a 30-start backup is not the worst option. I guess the real question is whether we can reasonably expect someone to pick him up on re-entry waivers. If he is grabbed, then that's a $2.25m cap hit. Johnny probably only makes in the $1m range, so that would be $3.25 allocated to goalies other than Varly, which is a savings of $1.25m in cap space. That might be a nice option.

But does the timing of all of this work?

If I'm Johnny, there's no way I'm signing a contract before I know that I am 100% going to be the only veteran competing for that #2 spot. He can't have any desire to be back where he was at the end of the 07-08 season where he was a healthy scratch every night and was essentially barred from practicing because Huet was the #1 and Kolzing was ahead of him on the backup pecking order. If he can't get assurances, why not just go be the #2 somewhere like Philly, who needs two cheap goaltenders on their NHL roster and has no kids in the short-term pipeline?

So, if Johnny needs to have seen Theo claimed and gone before he'll re-sign, when does Theo get put through waivers? Don't the odds of Theo being claimed go up significantly in August, when rosters are far more settled and teams know whether or not they need to grab a veteran off the scrapheap? But whose to say Johnny waits for 4-6 weeks after July 1 without any guarantees when he might have other viable offers on the table?

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

i just don't see the Hershey scenario happening. If Theo were on the books for an additional season, then I would understand it. The cap space would be needed for the Semin and Backstrom extensions. But next season, Theo's salary really doesn't hinder GMGM that much.

I think Theo woudl be one of the better backups in the league, and I doubt the organization would want to lean on Varly for more than 50 games.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I don't think anyone was suggesting that he actually "play" if and when assigned to the Bears. More of a paper move in hopes of someone picking him up on re-entry (which would be a larger cap hit than a buy out...but would only be for the season and not the next as well).

...At some point...one of these guys is going to be moved, I'd think.

Yup and yup. And I don't see it as the first option, either. And just to clarify, my scenarios weren't listed in any priority order, just outlining some of the options and cap hit implications for discussion purposes and clarification.

For now, the likelihood of a Theodore/Varlamov tandem appears as likely as anything involving waivers, etc., unless there is something going on behind the scenes we don't know about, leaving a Neuvirth/Holtby tandem in Hershey for next season.

And fwiw, I think from the Montreal Price/Halak situation to Anaheim and Hiller/Giguere to the Khabibulin/Huet tandem shows plenty can happen with goalie tandems over a season, but I don't see a huge problem with a Theodore/Varlamov tandem for one season. The unknown being whether it is possible they prefer UFA Johnson as the tandem partner and whether he is interested and what he would be willing to sign for given the situation with starts and opportunity with the goalie pipeline in the system.

One other thing, as has been pointed out before, if the cap max is going to go down, it appears more likely a season from now, plus there are the new contracts for the '10-11 season that have been discussed before, e.g., Backstrom, Semin, so there is motivation to not have buyouts that hit past next year, if possible, esp. with another buyout possible, makes it harder to see a Theodore buyout.

FWIW, while I agree about the eventuality if they continue along their development paths, unless the right deal appears, they can wait longer to move one of them.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
i just don't see the Hershey scenario happening. If Theo were on the books for an additional season, then I would understand it. The cap space would be needed for the Semin and Backstrom extensions. But next season, Theo's salary really doesn't hinder GMGM that much.

I think Theo woudl be one of the better backups in the league, and I doubt the organization would want to lean on Varly for more than 50 games.
Agree. See my recent posts. again, I don't think anyone is suggesting Theodore to Hershey for a season, only as a paper move IF the organization is trying to get him claimed on waivers or re-entry waivers and no one is saying that is what will happen, just one scenario about what could happen.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
capsfn95

any chance of nylander going to play in Sweeden or something next year, and thus freeing up some cap that way so we really don't have to worry about paying theo next year even if he is riding the bench. I'm sure the caps wouldn't mind if he jumped shipped and played overseas.

capsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
C-A-P-S

I think a large part of this decision depends on how far Varly carries this team. If he's essentially lights out and either brings home the title or takes them to a finals I would think GMGM is going to give the thought of moving Theo a look.

I agree with the majority of posters here that the liklihood of Theo staying for another year is high.

Plus, I think GMGM is fairly high on the players on his roster so the need to move 4.5 million may not be all that high. I think cap wise they will be in good shape whether or not Theo goes because they probably wont be bring in a mess of players in the offseason. Just resigning guys and maybe adding a player to the roster

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
fashi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBaseball View Post
I wouldn't compare Varlamov's situation to Price that much. The pressure won't be as tough because of the language wall.
That, and Montreal and DC are totally different when it comes to Hockey and their pro teams. That is a good thing for us in DC.

fashi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Aristocles14

According to the spring report on Washington prospects they predict that Varlamov will have the edge in the race for the starting job in goal next season, see below. As for myself I think Seimeon in the man for the job.

2. Simeon Varlamov, G, 21
Acquired: First round, 23rd overall, 2006

With the denoument of Jose Theodore's career, The Varlamov Story is being written as we speak. The Samara, Russia native's first season on North American soil has been an eventful one. He's gone from leaving Russia behind to starting 27 games in the AHL, to backing up the former Vezina Trophy winner, to his ascension in the first round of the NHL playoffs against the New York Rangers.

The roller coaster season's certainly on the upswing right now for the 21-year-old netminder. Varlamov was very good in his six regular-season performances, posting a 4-0-1 record behind a 2.37 GAA and .918 save percentage. In the playoffs, he's taken his game to yet another level -- now with a 6-4 record in 10 games, and a 1.98 GAA and a .930 save percentage. And his consistent play is a welcome addition to a Capitals squad that's played apprehensively in front of their nominal starting netminder, Theodore, who has been consistent only in his inconsistency.

Regardless of how this current second-round series against the Penguins plays out, Varlamov will be in the driver's seat to open camp next season as the club's starting goaltender. A freewheeling team like Washington needs a confident goaltender who will make the saves they need to -- and not give up soft goals. The unheralded rookie has shown an aptitude for solid, consistent play early on in his young career.

Aristocles14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Chiquito

I have not seen a goalie this good since Jim Carey

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
KenHiczkakenbalz

Technically, Vraly's name next season will be "Semyon", per Tarik. He's changing the spelling, thank God. Every time I read "Simeon" I think of apes like Janet Napolitano.

KenHiczkakenbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:06 AM
TORRUS

He's been great! although the caps probably got outplayed for most of the series Varly gave his team a chance to win in all but one game. It's impressive how calm and focused he is... Great game yesterday again!

TORRUS is offline   Reply With Quote