HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Large skates...

Old
05-12-2009, 09:30 AM
TBLightningFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Large skates...

As part of getting in shape... I started playing hockey as I always wanted to. I lost a bunch of weight before and I probably lost 30 since I got my skates. This is causing my skates to have a slightly bigger fit than in the past. As you could imagine, that does not help when learning to skate (especially backwards).

Is there anything any one can recommend for tightening up the fit a little bit? I am going to get a lace puller so I can get them as snug as I can. I am going to try thicker socks, but I do like having the thin socks better. I also hear doubling up socks is a bad idea too.

It sucks because they fit so well when I got them, they still generally feel good... just getting loose to the point of some annoyance.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:37 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
As part of getting in shape... I started playing hockey as I always wanted to. I lost a bunch of weight before and I probably lost 30 since I got my skates. This is causing my skates to have a slightly bigger fit than in the past. As you could imagine, that does not help when learning to skate (especially backwards).

Is there anything any one can recommend for tightening up the fit a little bit? I am going to get a lace puller so I can get them as snug as I can. I am going to try thicker socks, but I do like having the thin socks better. I also hear doubling up socks is a bad idea too.

It sucks because they fit so well when I got them, they still generally feel good... just getting loose to the point of some annoyance.
See how tight you can get them by lacing them up. If it's still bad, try wearing an athletic sock, as they're slightly thicker than the thin nylon socks that a lot of players wear. If they still don't feel snug then you'll just have to part ways with them. Your skates and your helmet are the two pieces of equipment that you DO NOT want to cut corners on!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Grittzkey
Foreplay Guru

If you just stared, im going to assume you didnt buy an expensive skate? maybe a CCM 1.0? If thats the case, then just switch it up and buy another skate. IF you bought a nice skate worth some money, Then i'd say get it customed.

Grittzkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I don' think they are so big they warrant replacement....yet. They are CCM Vector v06 skates. So I hope I do not have to replace them yet.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post

I use a pair of skates one size bigger on purpose just for outdoor skating because i do not want to get forstbitten like I did once. That isn't an easy time healing on your feet.

I wear an extra thick winter sock like they sell for mountain climbing or winter sports. I then tighten the skate as tight as possible without cutting off the circulation which is done to prevent frostbite from a lack of bloodflow.

Anyway after I get a little sweat going I retighten them and they are perfect. this might work for you or it might not. you mentioned liking thin socks and i have never liked skating with thin socks so the double thick single sock worked well for me.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Crosbyfan

Sometimes a little thicker insole will help, or possibly superfeet insoles added without removing the originals. You could do a few experiments.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Areid1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Sometimes a little thicker insole will help, or possibly superfeet insoles added without removing the originals. You could do a few experiments.
Superfeet may work well and they make your skates so comfortable!

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote