HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

L Schenn or K Alzner

View Poll Results: best long term
L Schenn 100 68.49%
K Alzner 46 31.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2009, 06:07 PM
  #1
CrossCheck
Registered User
 
CrossCheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hockey home, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
L Schenn or K Alzner

Who would u pick long term?

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
  #2
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,709
vCash: 500
Schenn? I dunno thats a tough choice.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:31 PM
  #3
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Schenn

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
  #4
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,561
vCash: 500
Schenn

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
  #5
AK
Registered User
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
Alzner can't even stick in the NHL with one of the thinnest defensive cores in the league.

Schenn's already a fringe top pairing defenseman.

Not much of a choice.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:49 PM
  #6
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Alzner can't even stick in the NHL with one of the thinnest defensive cores in the league.

Schenn's already a fringe top pairing defenseman.

Not much of a choice.
Schenn's still not even "fringe top pairing" yet, imo, but still I'd take him over Alzner pretty easily.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
  #7
re5piration
'67 til
 
re5piration's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
The Human freakin' Eraser.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:22 PM
  #8
aegwillnotwinthecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
People really overrated Schenn around here. There's a reason he played very limited minutes with Team Canada in this year's WC.

However, at this point, I'd probably still take him over Alzner. It's close, though.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:25 PM
  #9
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
People really overrated Schenn around here. There's a reason he played very limited minutes with Team Canada in this year's WC.

However, at this point, I'd probably still take him over Alzner. It's close, though.
Thats just a dumb arguement

At the beginning of the year i would of taken Alzner, but Schenns play has been impressive which has led to me to switch sides, not taking anything away from Alzner, but i feel schenn has more potential, both will be great d-man though

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:38 PM
  #10
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
Thats just a dumb arguement
Not that I disagree or agree with said statement, but why is that a dumb argument? I just find this discussion pretty interesting.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
  #11
0V3CHKiN
Registered User
 
0V3CHKiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Alzner can't even stick in the NHL with one of the thinnest defensive cores in the league.
The salary cap was a main reason Alzner spent most of his time in Hershey.

I prefer Schenn's style of play.

0V3CHKiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
  #12
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
People really overrated Schenn around here. There's a reason he played very limited minutes with Team Canada in this year's WC.

However, at this point, I'd probably still take him over Alzner. It's close, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Not that I disagree or agree with said statement, but why is that a dumb argument? I just find this discussion pretty interesting.
Schenn was on Team Canada, Alzner was not. Therefore, Schenn is overrated and he takes Alzner.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
  #13
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Schenn was on Team Canada, Alzner was not. Therefore, Schenn is overrated and he takes Alzner.
It somehow got by me Alzner wasn't on Team Canada this year. I agree, that is a dumb argument.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
  #14
Crumblin Erb Brooks
Registered User
 
Crumblin Erb Brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grenyarnia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
I take Schenn because he looks like he has a little more offensive talent

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:50 PM
  #15
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,891
vCash: 500
It's not really a dumb arguement but it's not an arguement that holds any real "weight" either .

Zach Bogosian also played similar minutes like Luke with Team USA in the tournament as well . So what ?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
  #16
ShootIt
Registered User
 
ShootIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 561
Country: United States
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500
I'll take Schenn

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:11 AM
  #17
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Alzner can't even stick in the NHL with one of the thinnest defensive cores in the league.

Schenn's already a fringe top pairing defenseman.

Not much of a choice.
His ability had nothing to do with him not "being able to stick" with the Caps. It was a salary cap issue.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:52 AM
  #18
Lutzinho
Registered User
 
Lutzinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany/Freiburg
Country: Germany
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
in the end it will be very close. both young,talented stay-at-home defensman...
right now i give the edge to schenn... but it's close

Lutzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
  #19
STAALing
 
STAALing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Alzner can't even stick in the NHL with one of the thinnest defensive cores in the league.

Schenn's already a fringe top pairing defenseman.

Not much of a choice.
wow... go buy a clue.

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:49 AM
  #20
El Maestro
Registered User
 
El Maestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Alzner can't even stick in the NHL with one of the thinnest defensive cores in the league.

Schenn's already a fringe top pairing defenseman.

Not much of a choice.
Alzner isn't playing with the Caps because of salary cap, not because he's not good enough for the NHL.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
  #21
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,938
vCash: 500
I like Alzner's offensive potential more than Schenn's, but Schenn's leadership qualities and makeup can not be ignored here.

His first year out of the draft, he was given a very big responsibility playing against other team's top lines and logging tons of minutes. He did not disappoint at all.

For the poster who's calling Schenn a bit overrated, I think its just because the Leafs have had very less to look forward to for the past 4 or 5 years or so (Rask experience was very brief), and this is just a reason to be excited. Leafs posters outweigh many other team's by a fair margin, hence you see a lot about him posted. Thats the reason.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
  #22
sweatypickle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
Alzner isn't playing with the Caps because of the salary cap, not because he's not good enough for the NHL.
there is no salary cap in the playoffs...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
  #23
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
I like Alzner's offensive potential more than Schenn's, but Schenn's leadership qualities and makeup can not be ignored here.
Karl was the Captain on the '08 WJC Champs, so you can't ding Alzner for leadership or makeup.

__________________
Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
  #24
TheFlowerist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
First, the point made was about the regular season

Second, Toronto didnt qualify for the PO, Washington and Hershey did

Third, Washington prefer to bring up their young player slowly and have them amass lots of playing time in the AHL...there is a reason why Green, Fehr, Laich mostly played in Portland and Hershey before making the jump to the NHL even when the caps were bad. Or more recently Varlamov. He was never supposed to play in the NHL and his presence in the PO is just due to lucky circonstances. Dont bring up Schultz, he is the exception to the rule

fourth, Schenn is playing in Toronto. I think that says it all

Not saying Alzner is better but just trying to prevent rubbish non sense from spreading out.

TheFlowerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
  #25
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,388
vCash: 500
I like Alzner better.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.