HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lever available for other teams?

Old
05-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And frankly, while every team hire a coach not based in language but solely on the fact that they could become a winning team, the same coach keeps being fired after 2 or 3 years anyway....
This is in part what I don't get regarding this whole issue... it's not like there's a english-only speaking coach out there who is clearly better than everybody else and that we are going to miss just because of this requirement. Then I'm sure Boivin/Gainey would seriously consider breaking the tradition. But it's not the case, and we have plenty of interesting candidates, some with more experience and some with less. Why oh why would Boivin/Gainey rattles the hornets nest by hiring a non french speaking coach in these conditions? It wouldn't make any sense.

I'm all for discarding these old languages traditions... but what about doing it in circumstances that matter, and not just because we don't care about antagonizing many peoples who DO care deeply about this issue?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:50 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
This is in part what I don't get regarding this whole issue... it's not like there's a english-only speaking coach out there who is clearly better than everybody else and that we are going to miss just because of this requirement. Then I'm sure Boivin/Gainey would seriously consider breaking the tradition. But it's not the case, and we have plenty of interesting candidates, some with more experience and some with less. Why oh why would Boivin/Gainey rattles the hornets nest by hiring a non french speaking coach in these conditions? It wouldn't make any sense.

I'm all for discarding these old languages traditions... but what about doing it in circumstances that matter, and not just because we don't care about antagonizing many peoples who DO care deeply about this issue?
It is the case. Laviolette is CLEARLY the best coach available. Robinson and Lemaire want nothing to do with us. Crawford and Hartley can't even hold Laviolette's jock. Esp. Crawford.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
It is the case. Laviolette is CLEARLY the best coach available.
How so?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:19 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
How so?
Because the best alternatives are Crawford and Hartley...uhhhh

Other than that, you can argue for Nolan, but the guy has been fired so many times and unemployed for a while for a reason. If you want to go with inexperienced coaches, the sky's the limit but you'd think Lever would have first choice because he's good at his job and familiar with the team. The AHL coaches picked are usually the ones already in the system.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Because the best alternatives are Crawford and Hartley...uhhhh

Other than that, you can argue for Nolan, but the guy has been fired so many times and unemployed for a while for a reason. If you want to go with inexperienced coaches, the sky's the limit but you'd think Lever would have first choice because he's good at his job and familiar with the team. The AHL coaches picked are usually the ones already in the system.
What's the problem with Hartley? 'Cause he wasn't able to make Atlanta a cup champion? Do people really believe that coaches are miracle workers? Is that for the same reason that the coach who wins or is nominated for head coach of the year usually is fired 1 or 2 year after?

I want a team that can build a great work ethic again and knows his hockey. Hartley fits the bill. What is the worst thing that can happen? He'll be fired in 3 years? So what's the difference between him and the others? Are we really thinking ahead and hoping that this next coach will be around for the next 10?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:51 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
What's the problem with Hartley? 'Cause he wasn't able to make Atlanta a cup champion? Do people really believe that coaches are miracle workers? Is that for the same reason that the coach who wins or is nominated for head coach of the year usually is fired 1 or 2 year after?

I want a team that can build a great work ethic again and knows his hockey. Hartley fits the bill. What is the worst thing that can happen? He'll be fired in 3 years? So what's the difference between him and the others? Are we really thinking ahead and hoping that this next coach will be around for the next 10?
I'm a big Joe Sakic fan so I watch as much of the Avs as I can. Hartley? He always had stacked teams, and he could only win the Cup once. Many Avs fans believe they could've won more Cups with better coaches than Hartley and Crawford. When Hartley won the Cup, he had nothing to do. A stacked team with two surefire HOFers and at least one more borderline guy. Sakic playing out of his mind and the whole team rallying together to get one for Ray Bourque. Hartley was never good with youngsters, and he sure wasn't in Atlanta. Hartley is also very much prone to goon tactics. If his team isn't winning, he'll just goon it up. Basically, all Hartley really knows how to do is tell the players "to work hard." He's not much of a tactician.

We've seen with Carbo the "work hard" coach just doesn't work here. The Habs would do much better with an Xs and Os kind of guy, who doesn't use the old school mentality of working hard and gooning it up if you're losing. Like you said, a lot of coaches have gotten recycled lately. Other teams, though, are getting tired of having to hire the same old guys and firing them because they suck. That's why new coaches are coming in. Now, Laviolette is not entirely new but he's still a relatively fresh face. And he's a good tactician who knows how to implement a system. The main criticism with him is that he's not a loud guy who will scare the players into listening to him. Maybe some people don't like that, but looking at our players, it would seem they prefer being coddled. Just look at the way Gainey handles Kovalev.

Old
05-12-2009, 09:06 AM
RC51

Habs need a head coach that speaks french and english, a assistant defence coach and a euro-russian coach that speaks english+ russian also. Also Habs need a top security team ready to move in and scoop up any Hab over doing it in bars and such. A whole set of GPS ankle bracelets to monitor all Habs at all times. Also the development of a Montreal Canadian "top gun" school where all Habs can learn how to make perfect passes, perfect body checks, perfect shots and a full course on ice fighting turning all Habs into 23 Rambo's

Now thats some good idea's

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:57 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
... A whole set of GPS ankle bracelets to monitor all Habs at all times...
No not really, something like that:

Would be better

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:38 PM
CanadienErrant*

Just draft ugly hockey players like Pascal Leclaire and Kelly (from the Sens).

Montreal girls won't chase them and they will perform better on the ice than off the ice.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Just draft ugly hockey players like Pascal Leclaire and Kelly (from the Sens).

Montreal girls won't chase them and they will perform better on the ice than off the ice.
I'm sure this works fine for you, but these guys will have money, so they'll still get harassed. Money and power make women wet their panties as much as good looks. I know, I know, you can't relate to none of these.

They also like intelligence.

Damn, I hope you don't feel too lonely, I hope I haven't raised bad memories....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote