HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jack Johnson + 5th overall pick

Old
05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Kingjordan

vCash: 500
Jack Johnson + 5th overall pick

I am not saying LA is or should deal Johnson but was wondering what type of player/package would LA be able to get if they offered Jack Johnson and the 5th overall pick.

LA needs a true sniper
Center

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:52 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
I am not saying LA is or should deal Johnson but was wondering what type of player/package would LA be able to get if they offered Jack Johnson and the 5th overall pick.

LA needs a true sniper
Center
He won't be dealt, but Heatley would be a natural fit.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Colton2233

the rights to both Sedin

Colton2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:58 PM
phlocky

Quote:

LA needs a true sniper
Center
Damn that's a huge value you are offering up there. I'd offer up Jeff Carter for that deal. If you're looking for a scoring #1 center I don't think you are going to get a better off than the highest scoring center in the league and at the tender age of just 23, who will still be an RFA when his current contract expires in 2 years.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:59 PM
jpchabby

I just have a question... wouldn't you like to have Doughty and Jack Johnson as your top pairing defensemen for many years to come? I know you're looking for offense, but considering they could both become a huge force in defense, are you really willing to trade one of them?

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Crosberry87

Jordan Staal
Luca Caputi
Brian Strait
30th overall pick
3rd round pick

Crosby + Svensson-Paajarvi

Last edited by Crosberry87: 05-12-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Patrick Marleau + conditional pick (1st if he leaves next offseason, 3rd if he resigns) for the 5th overall

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Patrick Marleau + conditional pick (1st if he leaves next offseason, 3rd if he resigns) for the 5th overall
No thanks.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
I just have a question... wouldn't you like to have Doughty and Jack Johnson as your top pairing defensemen for many years to come? I know you're looking for offense, but considering they could both become a huge force in defense, are you really willing to trade one of them?
Agree with you 100% Johnson and Doughty would be one of best front line D-men in the NHL but the Kings are loaded with young talent on D.. I think Kings fans would be ok with trading Johnson if he was able to get them a True Sniper.

Doughty
Johnson
Quincey
Greene
Hickey
Teuburt (Spelling)
Voyonov

A lot of young talent there trading one of them for a sniper I can see happening. Only player that is untouchable on that list would be Doughty.

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Zal

Quote:

LA needs a true sniper
Center
This may not be too far off of how DL approaches the draft.

"I'm taking offers for JJ+5th overall." ..Or something along those lines. He may not "shop" for a specific player. GM's will know full well what we're after going into the draft as far as established players are concerned. He could very well just throw something out, just like you did, and see what's offered.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae44 View Post
the rights to both Sedin
A top 5 pick plus a 1st line defender for the rights to talk to 2 mediocre players ????????

Man your playoff defeat must really hurt you to punish other fans...

Johnson isn't going anywhere.....
Put a stay at home defender on the side of Doughty and Johnson and we have 2 elite defender lines....
One would be Teubert and the other one Greene......
I don't see any sense in breaking that stuff up.

elite defender >>>> elite attacker

every team would take the defender and laugh their ass off if they just have to throw in a attacker for a defender, not to mention we would put a top 5 pick on top.
BTW way i don't see the sense in giving away what we are searching for.
MPS or Kane is our solution...... so, why to trade 'em away?

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Crosberry87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
A top 5 pick plus a 1st line defender for the rights to talk to 2 mediocre players ????????

Man your playoff defeat must really hurt you to punish other fans...

I'm pretty sure the face was implied there.

Old
05-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
I'm pretty sure the face was implied there.
not to much......... ok they are good... but the last player i wanna have on my team.....
not to mention to give away value like a top 5 pick and a 1st line defender

Old
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
Yes, we would like that pairing. No, we are not willing to trade either of them.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:24 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Agree with you 100% Johnson and Doughty would be one of best front line D-men in the NHL but the Kings are loaded with young talent on D.. I think Kings fans would be ok with trading Johnson if he was able to get them a True Sniper.

Doughty
Johnson
Quincey
Greene
Hickey
Teuburt (Spelling)
Voyonov

A lot of young talent there trading one of them for a sniper I can see happening. Only player that is untouchable on that list would be Doughty.
wouldn't you want hickey/teuburt/voyonov to prove they can play in the nhl first, BEFORE you trade johnson? as good as those prospects are, they aren't sure-things yet. kings would look pretty foolish if they trade JJ + 5th overall for a sniper, if none of the D prospects are ready next year.

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
No thanks.
Yeah, I don't blame you. Marleau for the 5th was talked about in another thread, and I thought the picks might even it out a bit. Still a big risk from a Kings POV, one that I wouldn't go for either.

Worth a try to see if the value was there.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Crosberry87

Quote:
not to much......... ok they are good... but the last player i wanna have on my team.....
not to mention to give away value like a top 5 pick and a 1st line defender
i was saying that post #3 was being sarcastic, not u

Old
05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Not sure why, but LA needs defense just as bad as a left winger. Actually, we need two LWs (a first line one and a veteran third line one for the playoff matchups), a veteran D and a #1 goalie. What we have right now, in every situation except LW, is a bunch of prospects, rookies and second year players. In the LW situation we have Frolov against the world.

If we're going to ask for another LW in trade, I would rather it be the #5 overall and one of our D prospects like Voynov, Hickey or Teubert, rather than the one guy who has had the most years in the NHL, albeit only a few more than Doughty. Johnson is also of the age where he should be able to contribute regularly as well as he is in his 20s. On top of that, his value is low right now so it's very, very easy for this to become a horrible deal in the near future.

The only way I do this is if Lombardi actually finds it easier to sign Mike Komisarek or a similar D man rather than signing any of the top UFA wingers out there by the draft. Just because our D is now leaps and bounds better than the 4 man vacuum we had before (no Greene, Doughty and Quincey, along with Preissing not doing much and Johnson being a rookie), we have a full 7 guys but NONE of them have more than two years NHL experience except Green who just has like 3 years. I think our UFA target should be a player like Komisarek if he's still available and then package one or both of our D prospects since we have so many. Even if we land Komi, we still need Jack to round out our top 4 D.

D prospects usually take time to mature like Bouwmeester. Don't be fooled by Doughty's insanely fast development as normal. Pieterangelo's development is more normal for a top D prospect. Or Quincey's who got released and finally played well like 2-3 years after his rookie season. Give Jack some time and if we have a logjam later when other prospects pan, trade him when his value is high.

As for the goaltending situation, I'm not sure what to do about that. I would rather sign a D, sign a LW and trade this pick if we have to or some prospects for a #1 goalie, like Luongo or Nabokov if they are available.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Not sure why, but LA needs defense just as bad as a left winger. Actually, we need two LWs (a first line one and a veteran third line one for the playoff matchups), a veteran D and a #1 goalie. What we have right now, in every situation except LW, is a bunch of prospects, rookies and second year players. In the LW situation we have Frolov against the world.

If we're going to ask for another LW in trade, I would rather it be the #5 overall and one of our D prospects like Voynov, Hickey or Teubert, rather than the one guy who has had the most years in the NHL, albeit only a few more than Doughty. Johnson is also of the age where he should be able to contribute regularly as well as he is in his 20s. On top of that, his value is low right now so it's very, very easy for this to become a horrible deal in the near future.

The only way I do this is if Lombardi actually finds it easier to sign Mike Komisarek or a similar D man rather than signing any of the top UFA wingers out there by the draft. Just because our D is now leaps and bounds better than the 4 man vacuum we had before (no Greene, Doughty and Quincey, along with Preissing not doing much and Johnson being a rookie), we have a full 7 guys but NONE of them have more than two years NHL experience except Green who just has like 3 years. I think our UFA target should be a player like Komisarek if he's still available and then package one or both of our D prospects since we have so many. Even if we land Komi, we still need Jack to round out our top 4 D.

D prospects usually take time to mature like Bouwmeester. Don't be fooled by Doughty's insanely fast development as normal. Pieterangelo's development is more normal for a top D prospect. Or Quincey's who got released and finally played well like 2-3 years after his rookie season. Give Jack some time and if we have a logjam later when other prospects pan, trade him when his value is high.

As for the goaltending situation, I'm not sure what to do about that. I would rather sign a D, sign a LW and trade this pick if we have to or some prospects for a #1 goalie, like Luongo or Nabokov if they are available.

- R
I agree with mostly everything except that. Why spends assets on an expensive goalie when we haven't even sized up how good Quick and Bernier are? We've got so much great potential in the goalie closet right now, trading for a fancy #1 would seem a little silly. Especially at this point in time.

DapperDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:

Jack Johnson and the #5 overall for Alexander Semin and, say, Shaone Morrisonn if the thinning of the D corps ranks in LA is otherwise a deal breaker. I don't know. Spitballing. Might be a way to address mutual needs from areas of strength there, with some evening out at the margins.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:

- R
Completely disagree..............
What we need is a true sniper, that's it.
Our defense will be a league leader very soon and we own a very good Goalie and Bernier is waiting.

i mean.. Doughty - Teubert
Johnson - Greene
Hickey - Quincey.........
that means 1 offense and 1 stay at home defender of finest art in every line.........
tell me 10 NHL team who can say that.

Quick so far has proven himself. Very soon he will be one of the better goalies if not a top 5 goalie.

What exactly do you want from these guys ????

Old
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

- R
Frolov puts his hand up and says hello. The need is a true sniper and a top 6 LW since Frolov is a top line lw.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Completely disagree..............
What we need is a true sniper, that's it.
Our defense will be a league leader very soon and we own a very good Goalie and Bernier is waiting.

i mean.. Doughty - Teubert
Johnson - Greene
Hickey - Quincey.........
that means 1 offense and 1 stay at home defender of finest art in every line.........
tell me 10 NHL team who can say that.

Quick so far has proven himself. Very soon he will be one of the better goalies if not a top 5 goalie.

What exactly do you want from these guys ????
I would like playoff experience and a healthy overall plus rating from our D corps. Some more goal scoring would be nice and an ability to shut down the other team's top line is necessary too. I'm not trying to get a team that barely makes the playoffs. We got a ton of that under Dave Taylor and even he had a little playoff success with Andy Murray. I want a team that can take on the Detroits, Anaheims and really the St. Louis' in the west.

Since we don't have a true #1 goalie, either the D needs to be really good, not potentially good in the next two to four years if we plan on making any noise in the playoffs anytime soon.

Anyway, you and I don't potentially disagree completely. I'm just saying if we're going to trade away someone, let it not be one of our NHL D men. Let it be our D prospects. I have no problem trading our top pick this year too but I would like a tougher-to-get asset like a top goalie instead of a sniper, where there are several UFAs possibly available this year.

I mean, take a look at those pairs. Of those guys, maybe Doughty, a 19 year old rookie, can be used against Datsyuk or Getzlaf's lines. And that would be a waste since he's great on offense too. I'd rather have a top shutdown D man who can go out and help contain the other western teams' top lines...and because you know they will put their shutdown pairing against our top line, I also want a playoff-experienced third-liner to play with the dangerous Handzus. That's the line I expect to get us OT wins in the playoffs.

- J

Old
05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Frolov puts his hand up and says hello. The need is a true sniper and a top 6 LW since Frolov is a top line lw.
Yes...but all these players people keep proposing...we already have plenty of RWs. If they propose a sniper, I'm assuming they want a LW or a winger who is so good, who cares who is LW and RW, we can just move one of our lesser RWs to LW. I'm counting Frolov as a second line LW. He CAN play first line, don't get me wrong. But if we're going to offer this kind of value, it better be for a true need like a LW AND a sniper.

- R

PS - it's really fun to talk about the Kings as if we plan not only to make the playoffs but also do something there too.

Old
05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Yes...but all these players people keep proposing...we already have plenty of RWs. If they propose a sniper, I'm assuming they want a LW or a winger who is so good, who cares who is LW and RW, we can just move one of our lesser RWs to LW. I'm counting Frolov as a second line LW. He CAN play first line, don't get me wrong. But if we're going to offer this kind of value, it better be for a true need like a LW AND a sniper.

- R

PS - it's really fun to talk about the Kings as if we plan not only to make the playoffs but also do something there too.
The whole thing is is that theres not many guys at the left wing position who are that are that big of an upgrade over what Frolov is. Guy spends half his season on a checking line and still pots 32 goals.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote