HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolts ask for Schenn

Old
05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Gorgeous George

vCash: 500
Bolts ask for Schenn

Leafs general manager Brian Burke has confirmed to Sportsnet that the Lightning have asked for Toronto defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Luke Schenn along with the team's No. 7 pick in exchange for Tampa's No. 2 selection.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...g_trade_talks/

Gorgeous George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Seriously wow, I'm shocked thats the actual price TB is setting, and I'll admit I was wrong in what I believed TB would ask for. Safe to say, Burke won't bite.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
Leafs general manager Brian Burke has confirmed to Sportsnet that the Lightning have asked for Toronto defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Luke Schenn along with the team's No. 7 pick in exchange for Tampa's No. 2 selection.

If I were the GM of Tampa I would ask about the same at this point in time. Why ask for less? Still 6 or 7 weeks till the draft, you might as well ask for the moon.

The Pucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Burke went public with a Tampa Bay offer. Now when we have a bad season again next year we can blame it on Burke and call him a disgrace.

Bish please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Adversary

Why would these things be negotiated through the media? It's turning into a joke.

Maybe it always was.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

They might also have set a price on the pick Burke won't meet just to shut him up and end speculation.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Burke went public with a Tampa Bay offer. Now when we have a bad season again next year we can blame it on Burke and call him a disgrace.
touche!

I wonder what Lawton's real end game here is - he knows this offer is ridiculous. So, what is he really expecting in return for the 2nd?

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Burke probably trying to get everyone to laugh at Lawton.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
If I were the GM of Tampa I would ask about the same at this point in time. Why ask for less? Still 6 or 7 weeks till the draft, you might as well ask for the moon.
Obviously, there's no penalty for making a really stupid request, but that doesn't mean it's not poor form. And if you get a rep as someone who makes irrational requests (on top of being someone who leaks info, according to Gainey), I guess it's conceivable that it may negatively impact other GM's likelihood to work with you. Not that a GM will spite themselves just to screw Tampa, but GMs may not be inclined to go through a tough bargaining process that leads to a deal if they don't think the guy on the other side of the table is reasonable.

And asking for Luke Schenn and Kaberle just to move up 5 spots in the draft is totally and completely unreasonable. Drop Kaberle from the mix and it's still totally unreasonable.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Obviously, there's no penalty for making a really stupid request, but that doesn't mean it's not poor form. And if you get a rep as someone who makes irrational requests (on top of being someone who leaks info, according to Gainey), I guess it's conceivable that it may negatively impact other GM's likelihood to work with you. Not that a GM will spite themselves just to screw Tampa, but GMs may not be inclined to go through a tough bargaining process that leads to a deal if they don't think the guy on the other side of the table is reasonable.

And asking for Luke Schenn and Kaberle just to move up 5 spots in the draft is totally and completely unreasonable. Drop Kaberle from the mix and it's still totally unreasonable.
Either that or he hopes that Burke is just as moronic as Howard Berger, who suggested that the same package would be a fair deal.

Acekicker123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizkey View Post
Why would these things be negotiated through the media? It's turning into a joke.

Maybe it always was.
Burke wants it in the media because he thrives on it and the media is praising him for it anyway. TB is a bit messed up too so maybe they like the attention? I don't know. Either way you don't see the Avalanche and Islanders acting like that.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Darth Milbury

It wasn't Tampa that gave this information - it was Burke.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
I love double standards.

Bish please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:36 PM
PF

It's all bartering and posturing, Tampa probably set the price high at the start because if they don't they may think Burke will have an easier time bargaining them down from what they actually expect to get should they move the pick. Burke on his part is utilising the media as part of the process, to attempt to drive Tampa's price down perhaps by showing public reaction to their asking price as bemusement or otherwise. Of course it could have the opposite effect and make them dig their heels in now their price has gone public.

It looks like gamesmanship involved in negotiation from my standpoint.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
touche!

I wonder what Lawton's real end game here is - he knows this offer is ridiculous. So, what is he really expecting in return for the 2nd?
It doesn't make sense that Lawton is slapping Burke in the face with such an offer. Considering that Toronto would prove to be a valuable ally for possible future contract salary dumps.

Either Lawton is shooting for the stars, or they are working together to drive up the asking price of the early first round picks to prevent any surprises.

Maybe Burke has someone in particular in mind with the 7th overall pick and doesn't want any teams jumping ahead of him.

Obviously, just speculation.

Old
05-12-2009, 03:41 PM
mm6492

Why would Burke go public with this??? Tampa probably is not happy with them doing that

This is a good move by Tampa. The draft is about 6-7 weeks away. Start the bidding high, and ask for the moon

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post

Payback for Tampa leaking players' names in the Montreal deal? GM's are a pretty tight group in general and Gainey is well respected...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Exactly.

HONEST BOB!

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

I feel like this is more showing what it'd take for Tampa to give up the pick? Asking for something outrageous, understanding that it's out of the realm of possibility. Although I'm not gonna pretend like I know that's a certainty.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
grabo84

Not that I care, really, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't hold unless Lawton requested confidentiality.

As far as the offer goes, Lawton asked for an obscene price, and Burke obviously won't pay that. Remains to be seen if they get closer over the next few weeks.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Please dont do it burke....but seriously, this draft is deep. Why not trade kubina+package and kaberle for a couple of mid 1st round picks if possible, keep the 7th overall and therefore get some great prospects. I just think the asking price for 1st/2nd overall pick is too steep and will only hinder the rebuilding process by giving up so much.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Payback for Tampa leaking players' names in the Montreal deal? GM's are a pretty tight group in general and Gainey is well respected...
Yeah i'm sure Burke is really upset about the whole Montreal order and cares enough about Gaineys hurt feelings to do this.

Its bargaining tactics on both sides. Tampa asks for the moon, if they don't get it, they get Hedman. If they do get it, they still get top flight talent via pick, plus Schenn and Kaberle or some combination thereof, assuming Schenn is the true target (and i'm sure he is).

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post

Frankly I think its Tampa's way of saying they dont want to move the pick. If you want it you have to buy it.

The Pucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Why do some of you think this is the same as the Montreal situation? Toronto went public with what Tampa requested in the deal, which included no players offered. That's completely different from finding out through the media that you, as a player, were offered to another team.

It might be a form of retribution or hardball or something like that (highly doubt it), but the situation plainly isn't comparable.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Either way you don't see the Avalanche and Islanders acting like that.
I agree with your statement.

However, having watched the Islanders GM in a phone interview with Sportsnet a few weeks back, he was very tentative to reveal any information at all.

This tactic can detract from the enthusiasm on the part of the fans. If I were a NYI fan, I would love to read trade speculation and offers. Just to build excitement over the summer and heading into the draft.

Regardless, if Snow plans on trading the #1 overall pick. Just create some hype and get people talking about the organization.