HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolts ask for Schenn

Old
05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
The Pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Obviously, there's no penalty for making a really stupid request, but that doesn't mean it's not poor form. And if you get a rep as someone who makes irrational requests (on top of being someone who leaks info, according to Gainey), I guess it's conceivable that it may negatively impact other GM's likelihood to work with you. Not that a GM will spite themselves just to screw Tampa, but GMs may not be inclined to go through a tough bargaining process that leads to a deal if they don't think the guy on the other side of the table is reasonable.

And asking for Luke Schenn and Kaberle just to move up 5 spots in the draft is totally and completely unreasonable. Drop Kaberle from the mix and it's still totally unreasonable.
Kind of ironic you knock Tampa managment for leaking info in a thread about Burke doing the exact thing.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:52 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Kind of ironic you knock Tampa managment for leaking info in a thread about Burke doing the exact thing.
I'm pretty sure Tampa Bay lightning owner Oren Koules leaked this first, Burke is just confirming it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=641879

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
It wasn't Tampa that gave this information - it was Burke.
No Tampa's owner did it first. The link is just Burke's confirmation.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Zal

Hmmmm...

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/tor090512.html

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
I agree with your statement.

However, having watched the Islanders GM in a phone interview with Sportsnet a few weeks back, he was very tentative to reveal any information at all.

This tactic can detract from the enthusiasm on the part of the fans. If I were a NYI fan, I would love to read trade speculation and offers. Just to build excitement over the summer and heading into the draft.

Regardless, if Snow plans on trading the #1 overall pick. Just create some hype and get people talking about the organization.
This is why you need not comment on something you have no idea over. It was confirmed that interest in Isles season ticket plans and the Islanders, PERIOD, has increased 120% since the draft lottery. The Islanders said they have had to have X amount of people MORE covering the phone lines because of the inquiries.

The Islanders now have a contest where fans can win a trip to the draft if they fill out some information.

Believe me, interest on Long Island is ridiculous right now. Garth Snow is doing what he should be doing, not creating any false hope in case he doesn't pick the consensus pick right now.

Why are so many of you so ignorant to the fact that a General Manager wants to go about his business quietly?

Just because it creates excitement for the fans doesn't mean Garth Snow should do anything. Some of you really need to step off your high horse.. you're entitled to NOTHING.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
It wasn't Tampa that gave this information - it was Burke.
I wasn't saying that tampa gave this info, just that to do all this through the media is a joke. It doesn't matter where it came from.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I agree that Kaberle, Schenn and the 7th is too high, at least at this time.

Nonetheless, it shows that TB are at least open to the idea of moving the pick.

If a trade takes place in the next few weeks (or most likely the morning of the draft), I bet it'll end up being something like Kaberle, 7th overall and a package of something like Ponikarovsky, White and a 2nd instead of Schenn for the 2nd overall pick and maybe Ryan Malone

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Burke went public with a Tampa Bay offer. Now when we have a bad season again next year we can blame it on Burke and call him a disgrace.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Hockeyfan02

Good. If the Lightning are passing on Hedman/Tavares, they better be getting a significant return.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:05 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
I'm pretty sure Tampa Bay lightning owner Oren Koules leaked this first, Burke is just confirming it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=641879
This should be stickied in the OP's post before people start bashing Burke.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Burke went public with a Tampa Bay offer. Now when we have a bad season again next year we can blame it on Burke and call him a disgrace.
Burke didn't, Koules did. Tampa strikes again!

Nice try fellah, but seems your team can't do anything right.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:40 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Why do some of you think this is the same as the Montreal situation? Toronto went public with what Tampa requested in the deal, which included no players offered. That's completely different from finding out through the media that you, as a player, were offered to another team.

It might be a form of retribution or hardball or something like that (highly doubt it), but the situation plainly isn't comparable.
I missed this. What players were involved in the alleged leaked deal between Tampa and Montreal?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Hooker

Is it legal to start draft negotiations before the playoffs are over?

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizkey View Post
Why would these things be negotiated through the media? It's turning into a joke.

Maybe it always was.
Or maybe Tampa is trying to generate something for their fans to talk about? This is a boring time for teams who haven't made the playoffs, Burke consistently gives Leaf fans something to keep talking hockey... If I was Tampa Bay I'd be doing all I could to try to keep fans interest. Burke is a smart man, and when he was in Anaheim he was doing the same as he is doing here in Toronto, he constantly puts himself in the media, and generates attention.... this is something that the NHL needs, and the league should hope that every organization was so upfront and sometimes a little controversial, Its good entertainment.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marshall View Post
Of course.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Or maybe Tampa is trying to generate something for their fans to talk about? This is a boring time for teams who haven't made the playoffs, Burke consistently gives Leaf fans something to keep talking hockey... If I was Tampa Bay I'd be doing all I could to try to keep fans interest. Burke is a smart man, and when he was in Anaheim he was doing the same as he is doing here in Toronto, he constantly puts himself in the media, and generates attention.... this is something that the NHL needs, and the league should hope that every organization was so upfront and sometimes a little controversial, Its good entertainment.
I totally agree with your sentiment.

I love that Burke keeps us all interested, especially with no playoff hockey for us, and the draft really the only thing to look forward to for leaf fans.

I'm really going to enjoy his time here. It's just that negotiations for a trade like this will not happen through the media, I think they will talk to each other, not reporters if anything's going to get done.

I'd say that a lot of teams would love to get the fan attention that the leafs constantly get even in the off season. For example, just have a look at how many user's are on the leafs forum compared even to teams that are still in the playoffs.

Old
05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
Yeah i'm sure Burke is really upset about the whole Montreal order and cares enough about Gaineys hurt feelings to do this.

Its bargaining tactics on both sides. Tampa asks for the moon, if they don't get it, they get Hedman. If they do get it, they still get top flight talent via pick, plus Schenn and Kaberle or some combination thereof, assuming Schenn is the true target (and i'm sure he is).
Had you followed hockey for a few decades, you'd know that it's far from a bargaining or negotiation tactic, although it may be for the clown of a GM you guys have in place. Reveling the players' names in public has never been part of the negotiations for as long as I've been following the game. So keep believing what comes out of the bubble in Tampa, the rest of the hockey world knows better.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

That's quite the asking price. A top level defence, a to-be top level defence, and a top 10 draft pick... for a to-be star defence. I guess Tampa is justified in asking for all the defence they can get, though.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
If I were the GM of Tampa I would ask about the same at this point in time. Why ask for less? Still 6 or 7 weeks till the draft, you might as well ask for the moon.
Exactly what's happening. Remember how Burke was asking for a 1st for Antropov? He explained it that if a team came up to him then and said I'll give you a 1st for Antropov, he'd sign the papers; no questions asked.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Burke didn't, Koules did. Tampa strikes again!

Nice try fellah, but seems your team can't do anything right.
You can't either, it seems. Lawton was the one running his mouth, not Koules.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Burke probably trying to get everyone to laugh at Lawton.
it probably also means that he will never deal those guys and its reassurance to the players involved.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I missed this. What players were involved in the alleged leaked deal between Tampa and Montreal?
Vinny to Montreal, and Gainey said that the names he was putting out were Higgins, Plekanec and Gorges, but I'm sure there would have to be more involved.

This would be overpayment from Toronto, but Hedman will be an elite defenseman.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marshall View Post
You can make trades anytime you want. Even 4pm on trade deadline day.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You can make trades anytime you want. Even 4pm on trade deadline day.
Then what is the point of the trade deadline?

Old
05-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizkey View Post
Then what is the point of the trade deadline?

The trade deadline determines which players can suit up for playoff teams. No trades after the deadline can have an impact on playoff rosters. However, teams can negotiate, sign, and make deals as long as the deals have no impact on the rosters as they are already set.