HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo-Atlanta

Old
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
dj4aces

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
When someone comes up with a logical reason that Kovy is worth SIGNIFICANTLY more than Hossa returned at the deadline last year... please inform me....

Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito.... Im not sure if there was even a 1st in there....
There was. Atlanta drafted a GHL player by the name of Daultan Leveille (St. Catherines) with that first round pick.

Thoughts on the OP? Thanks, but no thanks. If you're taking our star player, young guys have to come back in return.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

No thanks from Buffalo. We already have our top line LW. If I'm looking to add another star player (and move those assets to get one), I'm not looking for a winger. A defenseman or a center maybe.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesDude View Post
because Kovalchuk is better than Hossa and would be more committed to staying with the team he goes to? Hossa had a history of being hard to deal with in Ottawa too.

I'd imagine that Waddell won't wait until the last minute like he did with Hossa. I can also imagine that at least 7-8 teams will be seriously going after Kovalchuk if he isn't signed. Here is your logical reason :

BIDDING WAR
i said "logical" reason.

regardless, i don't think any team will trade for Kovy in the offseason without a contract extension.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
No thanks from Buffalo. We already have our top line LW. If I'm looking to add another star player (and move those assets to get one), I'm not looking for a winger. A defenseman or a center maybe.
Yup. If we want to do a big trade it should happen at center, not wing.

And I don't want to give up Myers.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

I'd rather trade for a top-line center or a top-pairing defenseman.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
i said "logical" reason.

regardless, i don't think any team will trade for Kovy in the offseason without a contract extension.
kovalchuk is a better leader, scorer, and playmaker than hossa. hossa wins defensively but kovalchuk isn't as bad there as many seem to think he is either. kovalchuk will drop the gloves if he needs to. kovalchuk is one of the best scorers in the league. kovalchuk makes the players around him better, hossa gets better off of the players around him.

they are both top players in the world but there are only 2 forwards i would put above kovalchuk.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:05 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So that will narrow down the teams quickly as the asking price goes outside what a team is willing to part with.

I like Kovalchuk -- I find him passionate and entertaining. That said, I don't see how he answers a need for Buffalo, regardless of debate on what he may or may not land in trade.

How does this help Atlanta, if at all?
Why would Buffalo gut their development cycle to land a one-year rental at a position they do not need help at?
How is Kovalchuk in the summer worth more than Hossa at the deadline, when prices tend to skyrocket compared to summer moves?

None of those answer positively, so I don't see a reason to continue to attack or defend players or proposals.
As for Kovalchuk's value, Atlanta would want more for him than they did for Kovalchuk.

There's no question that Kovalchuk's the face of their franchise and I don't think they'd take the same return they got for Hossa if Kovy was on the market.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
kovalchuk is a better leader, scorer, and playmaker than hossa. hossa wins defensively but kovalchuk isn't as bad there as many seem to think he is either. kovalchuk will drop the gloves if he needs to. kovalchuk is one of the best scorers in the league. kovalchuk makes the players around him better, hossa gets better off of the players around him.

they are both top players in the world but there are only 2 forwards i would put above kovalchuk.
how many playoff games has he played in? I believe the total can be counted on one hand.

Kovalchuk is a great individual talent... but leader? Where has he led the Thrash over the last 8 years?

Old
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
sabrefan2930

I'd be pissed if we gave up Myers. Kovalchuck is a fine player, and would help any team, but Myers is our best (BY FAR) defense prospect. Our D sucks too much to mortgage its future just to get a winger who we would have no chance in hell of re-signing. If you honestly think this deal makes sense for Buffalo, I'd like to hear why. In addition to the fact that Myers one of the few Sabres who I consider untouchable, there is no way we keep Kovalchuck past his current contract if we were to acquire him. Darcy won't pay $7 million to keep the heart and soul of his team, he sure as hell won't pay $9 million (or whatever Kovalchuck will ask for) to bring in a superstar winger.

sabrefan2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
how many playoff games has he played in? I believe the total can be counted on one hand.

Kovalchuk is a great individual talent... but leader? Where has he led the Thrash over the last 8 years?
who has he had to work with

Old
05-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Afinogretzky

Quote:
who has he had to work with
Savard, Heatley, and Hossa to name a few.

Afinogretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:00 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Considering Kovalchuk has only been the team captain since January, I believe your query is irrelevant. Let's see where Kovalchuk leads the team in the 2009-2010 season before questioning his leadership abilities, shall we?

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Considering Kovalchuk has only been the team captain since January, I believe your query is irrelevant. Let's see where Kovalchuk leads the team in the 2009-2010 season before questioning his leadership abilities, shall we?
Then how about waiting until then before anointing Kovalchuk a good leader?? (yes I realize you didn't make the first post, but that's what started this...)

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
if the previous poster hadn't pointed out his leadership as one of his qualities, then I wouldn't have questioned it.

How about reading the context of the post, before questioning me?

Old
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
if the previous poster hadn't pointed out his leadership as one of his qualities, then I wouldn't have questioned it.

How about reading the context of the post, before questioning me?
i didn't say he was the greatest captain in the league, i said he was a better leader than hossa.

hossa is one of my favorite players but even i will admit he is only out for himself. kovalchuk actually tries to motivate and help those around him.

why don't you actually understand what i say before you criticize me for it