HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolts ask for Schenn

Old
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Adversary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
The trade deadline determines which players can suit up for playoff teams. No trades after the deadline can have an impact on playoff rosters. However, teams can negotiate, sign, and make deals as long as the deals have no impact on the rosters as they are already set.
What would be an example of a trade that has no impact on the rosters as they are already set?

I'm not being a twit, I'm genuinely ignorant.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Had you followed hockey for a few decades, you'd know that it's far from a bargaining or negotiation tactic, although it may be for the clown of a GM you guys have in place. Reveling the players' names in public has never been part of the negotiations for as long as I've been following the game. So keep believing what comes out of the bubble in Tampa, the rest of the hockey world knows better.
By 'the rest of the hockey world knows better' you really mean you're crapping rainbows. Unless there is something your not telling us you have never been involved in any kind of trade negotiation on behalf of an NHL team?

You may not think it is part of the negotiation but what do you know (again if you have been involved in NHL trade talks I will apologise profusely) at this point all you are spewing is speculation and anti Tampa bile.

I also love how when Lawton revealed the names of players involved in the potential Lecavalier trade he was ridiculed and labeled a "clown", yet Burke may have done the same thing (contradicting sources some say Burke some say OK) and there is nothing.... oh wait the south hates hockey and doesnt deserve any teams

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizkey View Post
What would be an example of a trade that has no impact on the rosters as they are already set?

I'm not being a twit, I'm genuinely ignorant.
Basically, if a deal was made, teams couldn't use any players involved till the next season.

So if say (not proposing anything) the Pens and Caps swapped Ovechkin and Malkin, right now. Neither of them would be able to play for the rest of their respective seasons, but it would be an official deal.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Sad Panda

Who cares that this information was leaked. Who cares if they use the media in trade talks. It's a game between two GM's, let's just enjoy it. I'm glad this came out so we can get some actual trade info on potential deals and see what may or may not happen. It's far better than all the god awful fake proposals that go on here.

As for the asking price in the trade, Burke better not do it. As a Leafs fan I'd rather keep all the assets than move them for one high potential level player. We don't have a stocked fridge right now. In terms of Tampa, talk about a win/win. They either get the offer rejected and draft Hedman, or they make the trade and get an excellent puck mover in Kaberle on a good contract, a great young guy in Schenn, and the 7th overall pick.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
You can't either, it seems. Lawton was the one running his mouth, not Koules.
Quoting the leafs forum here:

According to Doug MacLean of Rogers Sportsnet and The FAN590, Lightning owner Oren Koules has told Rogers Sportsnet that Tampa ownership is willing to trade Tampa's 2009 1st round pick (2nd overall) to Toronto in exchange for Toronto's 2009 1st round pick (7th overall), Tomas Kaberle, and Luke Schenn.

Last edited by Kristia: 05-12-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: removed quote/unneeded comment
Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
Basically, if a deal was made, teams couldn't use any players involved till the next season.

So if say (not proposing anything) the Pens and Caps swapped Ovechkin and Malkin, right now. Neither of them would be able to play for the rest of their respective seasons, but it would be an official deal.

Can you even move guys who are on the playoff roster?

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post

Thanks for the insight.

By your explaination I'm guessing that what is meant by having 'no affect on the playoff rosters' doesn't include subtracting players ... Only adding them.

Makes sense I guess, but why two teams would ever want to remove players from their roster without replacing in time for the playoffs them doesn't seem like a great idea. Although, two non playoff teams wouldn't much be affected.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
DBC Tweeker

Translation:

"This pick is not on the table."

DBC Tweeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

According to Doug MacLean of Rogers Sportsnet and The FAN590, Lightning owner Oren Koules has told Rogers Sportsnet that Tampa ownership is willing to trade Tampa's 2009 1st round pick (2nd overall) to Toronto in exchange for Toronto's 2009 1st round pick (7th overall), Tomas Kaberle, and Luke Schenn.
Quoting a much more reliable source in the Op

Quote:
Leafs general manager Brian Burke has confirmed to Sportsnet via e-mail that the Lightning have asked for Toronto defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Luke Schenn along with the team's No. 7 pick in exchange for Tampa's No. 2 selection.
Sorry if that doesnt give you another reason to bash Tampa

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
I agree with your statement.

However, having watched the Islanders GM in a phone interview with Sportsnet a few weeks back, he was very tentative to reveal any information at all.

This tactic can detract from the enthusiasm on the part of the fans. If I were a NYI fan, I would love to read trade speculation and offers. Just to build excitement over the summer and heading into the draft.

Regardless, if Snow plans on trading the #1 overall pick. Just create some hype and get people talking about the organization.
very few nyi fans want the pick traded.Getting a possible cornerstone player is excitement enough

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Magnus Fulgur

If I was Burke, I'd do this trade and then sign Komisarek and Beauchemin. It's your only chance to get this kind of player for a long time (the Leafs won't be picking high next year). Got to give to get.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Had you followed hockey for a few decades, you'd know that it's far from a bargaining or negotiation tactic, although it may be for the clown of a GM you guys have in place. Reveling the players' names in public has never been part of the negotiations for as long as I've been following the game. So keep believing what comes out of the bubble in Tampa, the rest of the hockey world knows better.
Shouldn't you be at your "honest Bob" shrine right now?

I have followed hockey for decades, thanks.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
waitin425

I don't think giving all three is fair for the leafs.

However, if NYI picks Hedman and Tavares is available, would Leafs fans give just Kaberle and Schenn for #2.

If that's not enough from TB standpoint, how bout Kaberle, Schenn and 2nd rounder for #2.

That gives the leafs #2 and #7 and frees up cap space to sign defencemen?

Just a thought

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:54 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Either that or he hopes that Burke is just as moronic as Howard Berger, who suggested that the same package would be a fair deal.
Sounds like Lawton is playing the exact same game Burke was before the trade deadline. Burke was asking the moon for his players too.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Quoting a much more reliable source in the Op

Sorry if that doesnt give you another reason to bash Tampa
The two quotes aren't mutually exclusive. Sportsnet was given this information from Tampa, and Burke confirmed that the offer was received. Very simple. It obviously didn't bother Burke, so there's no reason to bash Tampa. I don't think Burke cares if his players know they might be traded.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Darth Milbury

According to the Toronto Sun, Burke already called Schenn and Kaberle and told them both that they are not going to Tampa Bay.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Would you trade Schenn, Kaberle, and a #7 pick for Chara?
Hedman seems like the next Chara and would add a lot of size to the Maple Leafs.
I agree that the price might be too high, maybe Kaberle, the #7 pick, and a conditional pick in 2010.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

And in other news Chicago owner Rocky Wirtz is willing to trade Chicago's 1st round pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Sydney Crosby and Geno Malkin.

Where is the story here?

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
According to the Toronto Sun, Burke already called Schenn and Kaberle and told them both that they are not going to Tampa Bay.
Which is cool. I'd love that return for the 2, but I highly doubt it'll happen, and I like Hedman too.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemster83 View Post
Hedman seems like the next Chara and would add a lot of size to the Maple Leafs.
I agree that the price might be too high, maybe Kaberle, the #7 pick, and a conditional pick in 2010.
Chara is WAY more physical. He's more comparable to a slightly lower level Lidstrom. But I agree, it could be worth it down the road... But VERY hard to swallow.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
DutchShamrock

Burke is the one who puts himself in a position to be held at ransom. He publicly states that he will aggressively go after the top two picks, now he has to deliver. Not exactly the position of strength for someone in the hockey's center of the universe.

He acts like he is entitled to a shot at the picks and maybe it rubs guys the wrong way. Or maybe Burke is announcing this deal to bail himself out with the fans, saying 'hey, it's unreasonable for me to acquire the pick at this price'. Now he's not the failure and bad guy.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:36 PM
JeffYear92*

the leafs hang up the phone and leaf

schenn
kaberle
7th

for the 2nd?

Over payment much?

Yes Sir

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:22 PM
JAVO16

Redonkulous

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Good thing Brian Burke won't bite ...... The Leafs management thought Schenn + Kaberle was ridiculous for the 2nd overall , not sure what they would think of adding the 7th pick as well .

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemster83 View Post
Hedman is about as far away from Chara as they come. 5'10 Ian White plays with more bite than Hedman does.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote