HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo

Old
05-12-2009, 05:32 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHo View Post
I think that if DET can get a star goalie, they will become a dynasty.

Datsyuk, McCollum, 2009 1st for Luongo
Fail, grandiose.

Detroit doesn't even trade Datsyuk straight up for Luongo. Not only would Detroit have no interest in Luongo at that price, if Vancouver wanted Datsyuk, they would have to add more. Not Detroit.

Detroit needs superstar goaltenders to win Cups like Dallas needs Sean Avery.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He was a restricted free agent.
And the following year he would have been a UFA, he was an unsigned RFA.

05-12-2009, 05:38 PM
timw33

Why does everyone insist that Vancouver needs a goaltender back in a deal?

We're either going with Luongo, or with Schnieder + veteran back-up.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:39 PM
The Vengabus

Quote:
He was a restricted free agent.
My mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
...but the point remains. In fact, you could speculate there was even less certainty with Luongo then.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
And that why you are delusional. We're talking about one year of a very good goalie who was the positive difference maker in ONE of his 4 post season series. And goalies NEVER get traded for the sort of value you're talking about, especially when they're ONE year from UFA eligibility.

Where are you getting that idea from?

2007 against the Dallas Stars Roberto Luongo was the best player in the series on either team.

2007 against the Anaheim Ducks Roberto Luongo was the best player in the series on either team.

2009 against the St. Louis Blues Roberto Luongo was the best player in the series on either team.

2009 against the Chicago Blackhawks Roberto Luongo wasn't good enough.

When you look at Luongo's entire body of work in the postseason he's been nothing short of spectacular.

I understand people have short memories but let's call a spade a spade here. There isn't a goalie you'd rather have heading into next years playoffs than Roberto Luongo. Underperforming in one playoff round doesn't change that fact.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
The big difference being that at that stage, the GM is still in an advantageous position because the player is not going to hold out for an entire season not getting paychecks. This is not the same situation. One year to go to UFA while under contract is different than one year to go to UFA w/o a contract.

Your statement has no validity.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Moobles

Quote:
Wow, so your offensive players weren't your problem and Luongo STILL couldn't advance you past the 2nd round??? All anyone wants to talk about here is how the Flyers defense needs improving. If that's the case then why would Luongo be the answer here??? Is the Flyers defense heads and tails above Vanc's??? Does Luongo need an elite defense in front of him to go along with a very good offense in front of him to have a chance of winning??? That's basically what you are saying. If Vanc isn't a terrible team in front of him then, if he's as great as everyone makes him out to be, he should be able to carry them to playoffs success, something he has yet to do. The fact is that Luongo has shown that he CAN'T carry a team on his back in the manor of a Brodeur or Roy.
I can see you're in love with the straw man argument. There's too much to pick out here and apparently no one cared about what you said, so I'll keep it short. There is no such thing as one man carrying a team to the Stanley Cup. The Colorado Avalanche and the New Jersey Devils won their respective Stanley Cups with Roy and Brodeur in net, it wasn't a solo effort.

It is not Luongo's fault we lost the series against Chicago. He had one bad game, and suddenly all of our worst fans come out here demanding a trade. Some people say this proves he is a choker because ofc why would this have to happen in Game 6 when we're facing elimination. But that's retarded. Every single game in the playoffs counts. Luongo played awesome in Games 1, 2, 3 and 4 and was pretty good in Game 5, and even had some great moments in Game 6 (save off Havlat's breakaway? ).

Does Luongo need an elite offense and defense to win? Uh, what team doesn't need a good offense and defense to win, and an even better one to win the Stanley Cup. What the Canucks definitely need is to be more coordinated and to work on tightening up their defensive game again. Luongo could do with a massage perhaps and some hard off-season training but he's still a fantastic goalie, and an asset the Canucks really don't need to consider trading at this point.

Anyone putting off Luongo as a great goal-tender at this point needs to put down the pipe and chill the **** out. There's no doubt he's a fantastic goaltender. He has a long career ahead of him and whether he's with the Canucks or on another team he'll find success. It just wasn't this year

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nabokov would either list teams he would accept going to or gets bought out/waived. With only one year remaining on his deal, like Luongo, it's not that big of a hit to the Sharks.

There's no way that the Sharks would part with Marc-Edouard Vlasic for Roberto Luongo and his one year. This trade is based on his current deal with no foresight to an extension. I sincerely doubt he would re-sign with San Jose so his value in a trade to them is going to take a dive.

You're not going to get any player under the age of 25 that's already playing a pivotal role in the NHL for Roberto Luongo.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
BallinLikeComrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
So I have a queation, are the Nucks just a terribel team or what??? I mean Luongo is suppoe to be an absolutely awesome goalie and he puts up nice numbers and all but what has he really done in the playoffs??? In 3 years with the Nucks he's won just 2 playoff series so is it that he's really not that great or is it that the entire team in front of him sucks???

I mean if it's the Sedins and the rest of their skaters then what you get for Luongo in return for a trade isn't going to be what turns you around. If it's Luongo then why would anyone trade very much for him??? I mean I could understand asking for a kings randsome if he'd actually carried his team on his shoulders or something but his body of work doesn;t support that premiss. I mean he NEVER did that with Fla and with a much better team in front of him (and arguably one of the best in the west probably) he failed to carry them on his shoulders.

I mean hell, he hasn't proven himself any more reliable in the playoffs than Marty Biron. Biron didn't play bad, he just didn't play great every game. He stole us 2 playff series last year and he certainly stole us one game alone this yar against the Pens (the other win we had we out played them in every aspect of the game) but us losing to the Pens last year and this year wasn't the fault of Biron. Honestly, Luongo hasn't looke any better in his plays with 3 years on the Nucks than Biron has looked in just 2 years in Philly.

yes the canucks are just a terrible team. The team is horrible but canuck fans cant admit that so they blame luongo. If they trade lu they will be hilariously bad. Luongo is def top 3 in terms of goalers in the league and will be leading us to gold next year.

BallinLikeComrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzner and Doughty View Post
Can u stop already. Look at the previous Luongo deals. He just choked the playoffs and he's signed for one more year. Carter/JvR, Nabokov/Seto... damit. Just stop posting.
You're an idiot. What I meant was one of Setoguchi OR Vlasic.

Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
You are overvaluing the price for ONE SEASON of Roberto Luongo. I wouldn't trade Erik Johnson, David Perron, OR Alex Pietrangelo for Luongo, based on his current contract situation. If that's what it would take, then no deal. Honestly, Luongo is worth more to you that what you would give back, so that is why soon to be UFAs don't get traded all that often, and when they do, it doesn't really amount to all that much. That's why I don't think Pronger will be moved. Anaheim can't trade him without getting significantly worse next season, and teams aren't going to give up a ton for ONE YEAR of Chris Pronger.
Luongo returned Bertuzzi, Allen, and Auld while being an UNSIGNED RFA. Allen is a great defensive d-man, Bertuzzi, at the time, was still a legitimate power-forward, and Auld was a servicable #2 goalie. People merely over exaggerate just how bad of a trade it was.

Which begets the question, what if you had a way of negotiating with him prior to the trade? Knowing full well you could get him to an extension prior to receiving him? Surely Johnson and the like are worth it.

Quote:
The Blues would be foolish to trade for either Pronger or Luongo. The Blues aren't winning the Cup next season. Their best years are 2-5 years down the road. If they want Luongo or Pronger, they should just wait until they are UFAs, and bid on them then. If they traded for them now, they would still have to bid for them after next season anyway, so why waste any assets?
Which is why we don't make very good partners, to be quite frank. St. Louis seems to be relying on their youth as of late, so I can understand why you wouldn't want to depart with them- but, like I said, it is the only way you'd be getting Luongo in any sort of way.

Quote:
If Luongo was signed to an extension for several more years, than I would say he may be worth what you propose. However, since he can walk after next year, you won't be able to get back what he is truly worth.
This is very, very true until next year's deadline imo.

Quote:
What goalie was EVER traded for that type of package? Nevermind the fact he's 1 year from being a UFA, and coming off a play-off meltdown.
Carter is one year away from entering UFA, and VanRiemsdyk hasn't exactly be shining since he was drafted. Are you now proposing elite forwards > elite goaltending?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Carter is one year away from entering UFA, and VanRiemsdyk hasn't exactly be shining since he was drafted. Are you now proposing elite forwards > elite goaltending?
Carter will actually be a RFA at the end of his deal. I'm not really arguing one way or the other, but I do agree that the Flyers wouldn't trade Carter and JVR for just one year of Luongo. It doesn't make sense in cap world, especially when you consider we have more holes to fill than just goaltending. We have a young core, and we won't trade away significant pieces of that core unless we get some longterm assistance. The Flyers aren't in a "go for it now before the window closes" mode.

But make no mistake, the Flyers would be very interested if they thought Luongo wanted to make a longterm commitment to Philadelphia.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Carter will actually be a RFA at the end of his deal. I'm not really arguing one way or the other, but I do agree that the Flyers wouldn't trade Carter and JVR for just one year of Luongo. It doesn't make sense in cap world, especially when you consider we have more holes to fill than just goaltending. We have a young core, and we won't trade away significant pieces of that core unless we get some longterm assistance. The Flyers aren't in a "go for it now before the window closes" mode.

But make no mistake, the Flyers would be very interested if they thought Luongo wanted to make a longterm commitment to Philadelphia.
Thanks for correcting me there! RFA status is an entirely different beast.. but should Roberto ever be traded for Carter + JVR, it would be fairly obvious that Philly would have adequate negotiation time set aside with Luongo prior to the trade.

Old
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Carter is 2 years away from RFA

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:

Christ.

Luongo returned Bertuzzi, Allen, and Auld while being an UNSIGNED RFA. Allen is a great defensive d-man, Bertuzzi, at the time, was still a legitimate power-forward, and Auld was a servicable #2 goalie. People merely over exaggerate just how bad of a trade it was.

Which begets the question, what if you had a way of negotiating with him prior to the trade? Knowing full well you could get him to an extension prior to receiving him? Surely Johnson and the like are worth it.

Which is why we don't make very good partners, to be quite frank. St. Louis seems to be relying on their youth as of late, so I can understand why you wouldn't want to depart with them- but, like I said, it is the only way you'd be getting Luongo in any sort of way.

This is very, very true until next year's deadline imo.

To further support your point, Auld was just coming off a very good season, and many people thought he would be a very good goalie, and a respectable starter at the least.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me there! RFA status is an entirely different beast.. but should Roberto ever be traded for Carter + JVR, it would be fairly obvious that Philly would have adequate negotiation time set aside with Luongo prior to the trade.
Its cool. I always get confused with the RFA/UFA stuff anyway. I had to look it up to make sure.

And you're right, the Flyers would get adequate negotiating time in advance of a trade. I'm not sure of the legalities of what kind of contact Philly would be able to have with Luongo before a trade was consummated, but its the only way I see the Flyers pulling the trigger and sending out Carter.

Of course, if we come to next seasons trade deadline, and Luongo is going to be moved, and the Flyers feel they can win the cup right away with Luonog between the pipes, then all bets are off

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
the team in the 07 playoff weren't very good. especially in the 2nd round, where the sedins were sick and a declining naslund on the first line. our 2nd line had jan bulis on it! cooke and kesler was hurt. our best skaters that playoff was linden, pyatt and ohlund. we were up against 2 norris trophy winners and a whole lot of offense in the ducks. we were outshot 2-1 in the 2nd round, and luongo was the only reason we had a chance to win every game. don cherry said that was the greatest playoff goaltending performance he had ever saw!
the team this year is miles better on paper. and the way they dominated the blues in the first round, seems to be capable of something special. but somewhere along the way he lost his focus against the hawks. maybe it was the constant traffic in front of him, the accidental/on purpose bumping, or whatever, luongo wasn't playing up to par this series. he wasn't always bad, he was awesome in the first 2 periods of game 1, first period of game 2, first period of game 6 and all of game 3 and 4. so he played fine for most of the series, but when he (and his D) wasn't on top of his game the hawks scored in bunches.
i guess what i'm trying to say is, don't count out luongo yet. 3 out of 4 playoff series he played in, he was awesome. against the hawks he was average for his standard, and played well enough at times, but the hawks was just too good offensively.

as for a trade, how about luongo + 1st rounder in 09 for carter + sbisa?? too much? not enough?

If he's signed or an agreement is in place then that's probably pretty fair value. I know tht this deal has the Nucks giving up their first but you are getting a first line scoring center and a puck-moving future top paring dman. Those are pretty valuable pieces and ones I'm not too certain the Flyers managment would trade. The fact that you are including your first tells me that you are both serious and reasonable. Many would expect yo get both Carter and Sbisa for Luongo but I just don't see how he returns that much alone.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Carter is 2 years away from RFA

I need to lay off the juice.

Old
05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Peter Griffin

How about the Canucks just keep Luongo? Sure he had a horrible game and was subpar the entire series but he has shown the ability in the past to step up his play and earn "elite status". Even Brodeur himself has shat the bed the past two post-season's and was a complete mess in the final moments of the deciding game in the Devils series this season.

If Luongo is unwilling to discuss a contract extension this off-season, I would consider moving him, otherwise, I get him signed if at all possible.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinLikeComrie View Post
yes the canucks are just a terrible team. The team is horrible but canuck fans cant admit that so they blame luongo. If they trade lu they will be hilariously bad. Luongo is def top 3 in terms of goalers in the league and will be leading us to gold next year.

If this is honestly true then you are better off to trade him right now for the best group of picks and prospects you can get and also to just let the sedins walk. Basically tank the enxt 3 years while you rebuild, be about average for the next 2-3 years, and then in 5-6 years you'll be a playoff team with serious players to contend for years. With the new NHL and the cap, the model that teams like Chicago and Puttsburgh followed is the way to go. You have a few awesome looking prospects right now that is a damned good start for a rebuild. Finish the job of retooling.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
If this is honestly true then you are better off to trade him right now for the best group of picks and prospects you can get and also to just let the sedins walk. Basically tank the enxt 3 years while you rebuild, be about average for the next 2-3 years, and then in 5-6 years you'll be a playoff team with serious players to contend for years. With the new NHL and the cap, the model that teams like Chicago and Puttsburgh followed is the way to go. You have a few awesome looking prospects right now that is a damned good start for a rebuild. Finish the job of retooling.
He's not a Canucks fan.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I agree with this too, assuming Luongo is unwilling to talk extension. The Canucks have a great goaltender in the pipeline in Schneider and one of the top prospects in the world in Cody Hodgson. Edler has a lot of talent and is only 23 years and could be a top pairing defender for many, many years. Kesler at 24/25 years old is only entering his prime and would be a great choice for captain. If they could move Luongo for some good, young players and/or picks/prospects and tank the next season they would have a good start on a possibly much needed rebuild.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Carter has 2 years left, and after that he will be a RFA (he'll only have 6 years of service).

Link to signing:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2418...=headlines_nhl

My point is teams don't typically trade young core elite forwards for elite goalies. Especially soon to be UFA goalies.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
My point is teams don't typically trade young core elite forwards for elite goalies. Especially soon to be UFA goalies.
I agree. Moving Carter for Luongo is akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul for both sides. IMO, if Luongo is moved it is because Gillis has decided to re-build the Canucks and he'll be looking for young, cheap players and picks/prospects.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:22 PM
STAALing

Quote:

Christ.
I thought u took my advice of stopping. That would have been smart. Where did I mention Vlasic ?

Christ.

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Where are you getting that idea from?

2007 against the Dallas Stars Roberto Luongo was the best player in the series on either team.

2007 against the Anaheim Ducks Roberto Luongo was the best player in the series on either team.

2009 against the St. Louis Blues Roberto Luongo was the best player in the series on either team.

2009 against the Chicago Blackhawks Roberto Luongo wasn't good enough.

When you look at Luongo's entire body of work in the postseason he's been nothing short of spectacular.

I understand people have short memories but let's call a spade a spade here. There isn't a goalie you'd rather have heading into next years playoffs than Roberto Luongo. Underperforming in one playoff round doesn't change that fact.
He had great stats against the Blues - but from what I saw of that series the Blues seemed just happy to be in the P/O's, at least until game 4. Being the best player in that series wasn't exactly an amazing accomplishment.

Luongo didn't steal any game game against the Hawks, and didn't come up with the REALLY big save when needed. Havlat's goal went right through him in game 4, and if he makes that save the Canucks are in the WCF IMO.

Winning 2 play-off series in 3 years isn't exactly putting the team on your back, especially when one of those was against the weakest team to make the P/O's this year (nothing against the Blues).

Don't get me wrong - I respect Luongo and what he's capable of. I just STRONGLY disagree that I'd Luongo would be most teams #1 choice going into the P/O's next year (Lundquist, Brodeur, MAF).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote