HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

leafs want role in the cba talks....

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2004, 06:13 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
[url]
most signifiant franchise in the league !!! :lol

i would n't trust them to lead the negotiation because i am sure that they prefer an entire off-season lock out : it would be the first season since 1967 that leafs wouldn't suck ...
Actually, the Leafs are one of the most significant franchises in the league. And they are probably the franchise that is the least likely to want a lockout (from both a player personnel and financial perspective). In fact, I would be very pleased if they took a leading role in the negotiations, because as a large market Canadian team with a significant interest in getting back on the ice ASAP, they might be more moderate in their approach than the rest of the hardliners on the owners side, and that might help bridge the gap a little bit with the NHLPA.

Old
09-27-2004, 02:25 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFan
Who comes up with this stuff? I'd argue that their fan-base makes them the least significant team in these talks. I don't think having payrolls of 41, 51.5, 65, and 62.5 million per year for the last 4 years constitues operationg under a salary cap, unless your cap is double the lowest team's payroll.

This article was up on tsn.ca for a couple of hours last week, and by the time I got around to posting about it had vanished. I'm glad someone else found it cause it just shows how ridiculously ego-centric their whole silly organization is.
The problem is that it's not players versus owners. It's players and megarich owners versus medium and small market owners.

The Leafs are a megarich team now. There is no way they want a cap. They are trying to undercut the owner's position.

Old
09-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
The Rangers won a Cup in 1994, the Penguins won a couple in the early 90's, and the Panthers made it to the Finals in 1995 (?). They're not bragging.
Those teams don't have any fans to brag for them that's why

P.S. At least I was alive when we won the cup...

Old
09-27-2004, 04:51 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
Those teams don't have any fans to brag for them that's why
I'm sure the Rangers have plenty of fans... they're just in hibernation.

Quote:
P.S. At least I was alive when we won the cup...
Nice. I like how you just made that one up and threw it at me. I haven't heard that one before, it's very original of you. Many props to you my friend, many props.

Old
09-27-2004, 06:09 PM
IWD

Quote:

Nice. I like how you just made that one up and threw it at me. I haven't heard that one before, it's very original of you. Many props to you my friend, many props.
"If we can't prove them wrong, let's uh...throw 1967 in their face!"

Old
09-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Brisson11

Quote:

I'll throw it at you again:

At least I was alive when my team won the cup!!

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

~ Aldous Huxley

Old
09-27-2004, 10:39 PM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Actually, the Leafs are one of the most significant franchises in the league. And they are probably the franchise that is the least likely to want a lockout (from both a player personnel and financial perspective). In fact, I would be very pleased if they took a leading role in the negotiations, because as a large market Canadian team with a significant interest in getting back on the ice ASAP, they might be more moderate in their approach than the rest of the hardliners on the owners side, and that might help bridge the gap a little bit with the NHLPA.
Obviously the Ontario "teachers" would like nothing more than NHL to resume, and keep making a profit. Obviously Ferguson doesn't want to see his core getting one year older. They'd obviously look out for their best interest. Maybe before what is the interest of the owners as a whole ? Would be perfectly normal too. So I'm thinking maybe it would be in the fans best interest short term, because we would get hockey faster, but it wouldn't necessarily be in the best interest of hockey. I'm not sure I'm ready to have hockey back if it means teams like Calgary and Edmonton can't compete at an even level. I'm ready for a one year lock out if the owners can correct the situation. But if they're going to fold in january and get more or less the same deal, then I'll be pissed off about missing half a season for nothing.

The leafs or any other teams shouldn't get involved more than others already are IMO.

Old
09-28-2004, 04:50 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
I'll throw it at you again:

At least I was alive when my team won the cup!!
Well, I'm having my doubts about that.

Old
09-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Guy Caballero

The Leafs are the last team I want negotiating on the part of the NHL. It's their approach to the game that caused the mess we're in in the first place. They want the status quo: they make their money by charging $300 a ticket, devote no attention to scouting and player development, and simply throw money at all of their problems.

If the NHL went to a system where good money management and scouting talent were required for success (i.e., a cap system), they'd be near the bottom of the league, if not dead last, with the god-awful drafting and develepment systems they have in place. All they're going to do is stall any real, meaningful change for as long as they can.

Old
09-28-2004, 05:29 PM
goalchenyuk

if the management of the toronto maple leafs are able to have a big benefits with all the big salary they are given to their old players, imagine what kind of benefit would get someone like Lou Lamoriello in a city like toronto ....

Old
09-28-2004, 05:31 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
The Leafs are the last team I want negotiating on the part of the NHL. It's their approach to the game that caused the mess we're in in the first place. They want the status quo: they make their money by charging $300 a ticket, devote no attention to scouting and player development, and simply throw money at all of their problems.

If the NHL went to a system where good money management and scouting talent were required for success (i.e., a cap system), they'd be near the bottom of the league, if not dead last, with the god-awful drafting and develepment systems they have in place. All they're going to do is stall any real, meaningful change for as long as they can.
this is an exellente point that you add Guy , you see it right

Old
09-28-2004, 07:49 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero

Toronto's "poor" scouting is overrated.

Since 2001 this team has been scouting very good young players with the limited picks they've managed to keep. John Ferguson Jr. has an eye for talent and has been surrounding himself with great eyes for talent. Barry Trapp (amateur) and Craig Button (professional) being the two notable guys.

Over the next few years under JFJ this team may become one of the better drafting teams in the NHL. A similar run organization to Detroit. They'll spend the money to be contenders and will bring along home grown talent every couple years, much like the Wings did with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fischer, and Kronwall.

Old
09-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Brisson11

Quote:
Well, I'm having my doubts about that.

Why be a leafs fan? Seriously... Come join the habs side of things, we have young guns, good prospects and no Don Cherry *gasp* hurray!!

Closed Thread