HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mission Laces?

Old
05-12-2009, 12:21 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Mission Laces?

I'm a big fan of Mission/Purefly, but with the company being snapped up, I decided to switch to a new brand for my annual skate purchase. I picked up the 2009 Synergy SE16s, and absolutely love them- they're the lightest skate I've ever worn.

However, I hate the stock laces in every Easton. I get the worst lace burn. Coincidentally, I've always loved Mission's- they're so cushy to the touch, and really respond well to wear and tear. I've used a second-hand pair for years and they've only just started to come apart.

I don't see any on EBay. Anyone know a place to get them?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:42 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Laces aren't giving you the lace bite. Unless you're talking about it hurting your hands when you tie them. If so, really?

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:51 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Laces aren't giving you the lace bite. Unless you're talking about it hurting your hands when you tie them. If so, really?
Yeah, that's what he's talking about.

Go to the store and ask to feel the laces. Some people do better with waxed laces too, you could try those. I never use stock laces anyway, waxed work a lot better for me.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
I use the same brand religiously, and only notice pain if my skates or hands are cold. Maybe it's temperature?

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:29 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, I edited right after to clarify that I mean burn on my fingers. I tend to get blisters when tying anything other than Mission laces- it's weird and it's happened since I was a kid.

cptjeff: I tried to feel the various replacement laces they had on sale, but they were all about the same. I've tried waxed ones before and the same thing seems to happen.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Please

yeah that happens to a guy on my teams hands, he just tapes his fingers before tying his laces

Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I get lace bite too but deal with it because I like feeling the laces there on the top of my foot's front ankle part through the skate tongue. I used to have skates with a thicker tongue and didn't like the extra thickness.

I know what this guy is talking about. I buy waxed laces though as they stay tight better and don't slip looser from use.

EDIT: Okay I see he editied his post to mention it happening to his fingies .... so ignore my response!

PS - an NHL guy I forget who now almost had his hand amputated because he got a staph infection from rope burn on his finger from the skin coming off while tightening his skate. Luckily they stopped the spread of that bacteria that is resitant to antibiotics.

I wish I could remember who that was, his hand ballooned up and looked like a boxing sparring glove.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
SirJW

Get a pair of cheap golf or batting gloves to tie the skates until they are broken in. I saw Aki Berg using them on HNIC once a while back.

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:52 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Yeah, gloves or a lace tightener may be your best options here.

Or you could order a few laces online that your LHS doesn't have. The guys who started mission were former bauer employees, so I might give these a shot:
http://hockeygiant.com/nbhstsktlace.html

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote