HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 groups fighting for the Canadiens

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2009, 06:45 PM
  #76
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It can go either way, but if we're talking about owners who would be attached, i doubt american owners are the first you'd think of. Yes, it could happen, and yes a quebec can be super quiet and make like he doesn't even exist, but serge savard for instance, former player, former GM, think he won't have something to say? Besides, ppl are claiming a francophone owner will clean us all of the english players and put quebec players through the line-up. Maybe he won't do it, but he's certainly expected to, and the pressure that comes with that will be an absolute mess.
Exactly, look at people like Kimota. There's a lot of them and there's going to be a lot of pressure on Quebec owners that wouldn't exist on outside owners.

MonacoBlue is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
  #77
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Given 6yrs to complete a 5yr plan like Gainey has had, Savard would have had us much further along.

Caseofcups* is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 07:05 PM
  #78
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
GO QUEBECOR GO

That group should be the Habs next owner

can you imagine

The Groupe spectacle Gilette would become the groupe spectacle Dion, promoting céline's concert and mama Dion meat pies all over the world and the 300 show tour of Star Academie, a perfect fit for René Angélil

Then hockey side, the group would take Stéphane Laporte from La Presse and make him GM, Stephae Quintal would be hired as D coach and Patrick Huard to motivate these lazy ***** of player.

Julie Snyder would prepare a show for all of the 41 home game, can you imagine the singing russians or juggling pucks with Carey Price.

Then you could read all about it in a 40 page special edition of the journal de Montréal everyday, journalist from La presse and all other TV stations then TVS would not be allowed at the ILLICO Center, so no more Réjean Tremblay or Benny Brunet

Until the Canal Canadiens be ready, you'd be able to see the games on TVA with Marir-Claude Savard as pre-game anouncer, Jean-Paul Chartrand as host and Ron Fournier or Claude Poirier for color commentary. If you'd have videotron internet, you could look at the Habs dressing room 24 / 7, and by having Illico, you can vote every week to send a player back home or in the minor in Habs Academie, the last remaining player would win the Pierre Péladeau trophy and get the choice of being traded to a winning club or sleeping with Annie Villeneuve.

And when Le Canal Canadiens comes to fruitation, you could watch the games in replay for a 24 hours period after each game, After La maison de Maxim Lapierre, you could witness the Alexei Kovalev Dacha, the Chris Higgins Crib and the George Laraque Hut... And what about the new album Habs sing-a long / Chantons avec nos Canadiens distributed at Archambault, with thse great success, Passe-moi la puck pis m'a en compté des buts from guillaume Latendresse and Gangsters Paradise with the K Brothers....

I JUST CAN'T WAIT......

HABsurde is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
  #79
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Exactly, look at people like Kimota. There's a lot of them and there's going to be a lot of pressure on Quebec owners that wouldn't exist on outside owners.
"Look at people like Kimota". Boy you're one of those hollier than thou dude. I prefer to be 100% Habs than a bangwagon jumper like you.

Kimota is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
  #80
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Given 6yrs to complete a 5yr plan like Gainey has had, Savard would have had us much further along.
how? we'd be a beast if we could actually sign UFAs, savard can't change that.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
  #81
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
GO QUEBECOR GO

That group should be the Habs next owner

can you imagine

The Groupe spectacle Gilette would become the groupe spectacle Dion, promoting céline's concert and mama Dion meat pies all over the world and the 300 show tour of Star Academie, a perfect fit for René Angélil

Then hockey side, the group would take Stéphane Laporte from La Presse and make him GM, Stephae Quintal would be hired as D coach and Patrick Huard to motivate these lazy ***** of player.

Julie Snyder would prepare a show for all of the 41 home game, can you imagine the singing russians or juggling pucks with Carey Price.

Then you could read all about it in a 40 page special edition of the journal de Montréal everyday, journalist from La presse and all other TV stations then TVS would not be allowed at the ILLICO Center, so no more Réjean Tremblay or Benny Brunet

Until the Canal Canadiens be ready, you'd be able to see the games on TVA with Marir-Claude Savard as pre-game anouncer, Jean-Paul Chartrand as host and Ron Fournier or Claude Poirier for color commentary. If you'd have videotron internet, you could look at the Habs dressing room 24 / 7, and by having Illico, you can vote every week to send a player back home or in the minor in Habs Academie, the last remaining player would win the Pierre Péladeau trophy and get the choice of being traded to a winning club or sleeping with Annie Villeneuve.

And when Le Canal Canadiens comes to fruitation, you could watch the games in replay for a 24 hours period after each game, After La maison de Maxim Lapierre, you could witness the Alexei Kovalev Dacha, the Chris Higgins Crib and the George Laraque Hut... And what about the new album Habs sing-a long / Chantons avec nos Canadiens distributed at Archambault, with thse great success, Passe-moi la puck pis m'a en compté des buts from guillaume Latendresse and Gangsters Paradise with the K Brothers....

I JUST CAN'T WAIT......
AWESOME!!! where do I sign?

Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
  #82
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,106
vCash: 500
Quebec bashing in full effect. Are you guys sure that the Habs are really your team? Let's hope for your sake that we fire every french player, that we go for an anglo coach and an american president.....but if not, you'll have to choose another team. There are surely teams out there with no francos whatsoever...

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
  #83
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Quebec bashing in full effect. Are you guys sure that the Habs are really your team? Let's hope for your sake that we fire every french player, that we go for an anglo coach and an american president.....but if not, you'll have to choose another team. There are surely teams out there with no francos whatsoever...
for one I'm not bashing quebec, I'm just bashing Queerbecor

Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 08:15 PM
  #84
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
how? we'd be a beast if we could actually sign UFAs, savard can't change that.
Wanna bet? Bringing in people like Roy wouldn't hurt.

Caseofcups* is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
  #85
WG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And "people like you" are worst. It's pretty damn logical that french Quebecers like Lapierre more than Markov. Lappy is a local boy, "local boy make good", haven't you ever heard of that? We're not gonna apologize because we're proud of what we are.

So far the only guy that wants to cause problem and disrespect others in this thread is you, not any french Quebecers "that wants more frenchs".
Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A.

Look, I like Max. A coworker of mine coaches minor hockey in PEI, he billets PEI Rocket players and had tons of contact with Max when he was with the Rocket and my buddy LOVES Max.

But Andrei Markov is an elite player at his position. Max is a nice energy player who fills a role.

It should be logical that fan bases, you know, really like the really good players. I can't imagine any other professional city in any of the major sports where birth certificate is more important than talent. And this puts my team, a team I have no intention of abandoning, by the way, at a disadvantage if the people running the team buy into it.

WG is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
  #86
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Wanna bet? Bringing in people like Roy wouldn't hurt.
Why the hell would Patrick Roy make free agents want to come to Montreal? Bringing in a rookie coach who has a reputation for being a bit of a head case does absolutely nothing to lessen the legitimate concerns about media craziness, high pressure, high taxes, or the language issue.

Sports1131 is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 08:51 PM
  #87
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage
 
Bobby Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chez Bobby
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,176
vCash: 500
Anyone but Quebecor please.

The post made by HABsurde looks exaggerated but it's pretty much what would happen if they owned the team.You can be sure that they would do whatever it takes to ***** the team and make it a media circus.

Bobby Clark is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 09:09 PM
  #88
Roke
Registered User
 
Roke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Personally,I would rather not see Quebecor or Savard. As some have outlined, Quebecor could create a media circus around the Habs as well as present some unneeded pressure on the hockey department of the business.


With Savard, I have a couple of concerns. First, he would be one of a number of shareholders. I would rather see one, strong individual owner of the team. Secondly, I would be worried that Savard would become heavily involved in hockey operations.

For one, his time of success was in the past before widespread free agency, a salary cap, or Eastern Europe playing a large role in the draft. Secondly, he seemed to be a little reactionary as a GM; trading Carbonneau because of the middle finger. Thirdly, what happens if he is involved and doesn't do a good job? We would be stuck in a Phoenix-like situation where you can't really fire the part-owner because, well, he's the owner.

I think that if a strong individual owned the Habs we wouldn't have to worry about something such as media/fan pressure to go for local players no matter what. With strong ownership the pressure wouldn't be an issue; it doesn't matter if the owner is from Quebec or Mozambique. A weak owner on the other hand would be worrying, whether its a corporation, someone from Quebec, or some other guy.

I personally don't care where the owner comes from, as long as they're patient, don't have to leverage their assets like Gillett has, and aren't involved in hockey operations. The best situation for a team is a hands-off owner who gets the best hockey people he can, and lets them run the club.

I feel as if the Quebec/non-Quebec ownership has been blown up here. Where the owner is from doesn't matter, we just need a strong, smart and patient owner. I don't feel comfortable with Quebecor or Savard's group, and I don't know enough about the American groups to make a judgment. My ideal owner would have been Joey Saputo (I love what he's done with the Impact), but he either doesn't have the capital or the willingness to purchase the team.

As for the fans cheering the hometown boys over the non-hometown players, I don't think its an issue. Every sports club I can think of tends to cherish their hometown players more than others, because the fans share an identity with that player. It can become an issue when those following the team put down non hometown players because they're taking the spot of a local guy, or just because they aren't local. It can also become an issue if management decides to choose inferior local talent over talent which is sizably cheaper, or clearly better. With the current management in place, I don't think that's an issue.

Roke is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 09:41 PM
  #89
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I would hope Quebecor buys it. They control a lot of the media, perhaps they can get them off the Habs back and at the same time use their power to sell the Habs even better. I'm kinda leery about Savard, I'm not sure how that would work out.
Quebecor wouldn't be able to quiet the media and the Habs don't need more selling. In fact, they're oversold to the public. Have you tried walking up to the Bell Centre box office and asking for the seats of your choice? What I dread most from a Québec ownership would be deliberately drafting local talent even when the best talent is to be found elsewhere.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 09:41 PM
  #90
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I would hope Quebecor buys it. They control a lot of the media, perhaps they can get them off the Habs back and at the same time use their power to sell the Habs even better. I'm kinda leery about Savard, I'm not sure how that would work out.
Quebecor wouldn't be able to quiet the media and the Habs don't need more selling. In fact, they're oversold to the public. Have you tried walking up to the Bell Centre box office and asking for the seats of your choice? What I dread most from a Québec ownership would be deliberately drafting local talent even when the best talent is to be found elsewhere.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 09:41 PM
  #91
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I would hope Quebecor buys it. They control a lot of the media, perhaps they can get them off the Habs back and at the same time use their power to sell the Habs even better. I'm kinda leery about Savard, I'm not sure how that would work out.
Quebecor wouldn't be able to quiet the media and the Habs don't need more selling. In fact, they're oversold to the public. Have you tried walking up to the Bell Centre box office and asking for the seats of your choice? What I dread most from a Québec ownership would be deliberately drafting local talent even when the best talent is to be found elsewhere.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
  #92
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
First of all, since it's that fat F tremblay, i don't believe a word.

Secondly, even if there are 4 groups, the best offer is gonna be the one that wins, not because it comes from a quebec group.

If Savard's group grabs it, you can expect Savard to be presidant and GM. He never swallowed being fired. That may not be a bad thing. However, he did tend to bend easily to media pressure. He traded Chelios and Corson cause they were caught by the JdM pissing on a wall of a nightclub. He traded Carbo cause he gave the JdM the finger at a golf tourny.

Quebecor would be a disaster. First that would trigger a war with LaPresse and we already know they have pickle up their ass about the habs. Secondly, it would be nothing more than a Kitch addition to their franco-media empire, so we could expect all sorts if buffoonery and media stunts promoting their other stuff. Finally, they would react to public pressure very easily because they would be ratings oriented rather then whats best for the team oriented. And do we really want hockey games exclusively on TVA? You just know they would try and breach the RDS contract.

What i heard about one of the american groups is that they are a bank consortium looking to buy a portion of the entire Gillete portfolio. That's not so bad, as it would leave the current structure in place to run the show.
He did not trade Chelios because of a piss on a wall.

He traded Chelios because he was FORCED to by the president. For known reasons. I thought you had heard the stories. Savard did not want to part ways with Chelios, who had won a Norris.

deandebean is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
  #93
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
I think it's pretty sad some people have already decided a Quebecer owner would be a bad thing, before it's even happened, because Quebecers would necessarily have a bad influence on the team. If you really see French Canadians that way, maybe it's time to cheer for another NHL team, that doesn't have francophone fans, coaches, players or owners.

That being said, I hope Quebecor do not buy the team, not based on their origins, but based on the fact that they seem to turn everything they touch in some sort of integrated empire. They own Le Journal de Montréal, TVA, Radio Énergie, and Archambault stores (just naming a few) and they keep on promoting each other all the time. I don't want the Canadiens to become a part of that.

Quebecor does not own Radio Energie. That's Astral.

deandebean is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 10:01 PM
  #94
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,844
vCash: 500
And for those who piss on francos, you need to realise that from this year on, this team will be built with more franco players. If Boivin stays put because his buddy from Nike buys the team, the Habs will be more franco (he said so himself). If Savard buys the team, it will be more franco. And if Quebecor/Angelil buy the team, it will be more franco.

So, unless Uncle George keeps the team (which I doubt now), this team is BOUND to be more francophone. So get used to it, or go cheer for the frigging Bruins.

deandebean is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 10:14 PM
  #95
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
And for those who piss on francos, you need to realise that from this year on, this team will be built with more franco players. If Boivin stays put because his buddy from Nike buys the team, the Habs will be more franco (he said so himself). If Savard buys the team, it will be more franco. And if Quebecor/Angelil buy the team, it will be more franco.

So, unless Uncle George keeps the team (which I doubt now), this team is BOUND to be more francophone. So get used to it, or go cheer for the frigging Bruins.
The only thing that could make me give up the Canadiens is if the front office decides that winning isn't it's top priority. I'm all for bringing in more local players or having a French-speaking coach if they're the best guys available, but if birth certificates become more important than talent, I really don't understand how anyone could support that direction.

Sports1131 is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
  #96
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,219
vCash: 256
Well it was just too dam hard to stay on subject!

Click

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.