HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo

Old
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzner and Doughty View Post
I thought u took my advice of stopping. That would have been smart. Where did I mention Vlasic ?

Christ.
Holy ****, I just realized you never did mention Vlasic.. which is funny, because usually when you're trying to make me look bad you'd take both examples from my quote.

Which you didn't.

I rest my case. Retard alert.

PS: If I wanted advice from someone who is quite clearly unable to even function on a message board, I'll ask you.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:49 PM
digger18

Here are 2 Luongo deals that would make sense for the teams involved.

Luongo, Michael Grabner and a 09 1st round pick to Tampa.
Mike Smith, Steve Stamkos and a 09 1st round pick to Vancouver.

Tampa gets the goalie its been so desperately needing finishing last in save% the past 2 seasons along with 2 decent prospects. Luongo gets to move closer to his Florida home and his wifes family. Vancouver gets a solid backup who can split games with Schnieder, A great young player who is friends with Hodgson and the second overall pick (Hedman). This move would allow Vancouver to rebuild without much complaint from the fans, as they would be icing a young exciting team.

Or

Luongo to Montreal.
Chris Higgins, P.K Subban and Carey Price to Vancouver.

This move would give Vancouver a Centre to replace Sundin, a good puck moving prospect defensman and it would give Carey Price a much needed fresh start in his home province. Montreal would get a francophone, gamebreaking goaltender, who would be playing in his home town and in the prime of his career.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:53 PM
STAALing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Holy ****, I just realized you never did mention Vlasic.. which is funny, because usually when you're trying to make me look bad you'd take both examples from my quote.

Which you didn't.

I rest my case. Retard alert.

PS: If I wanted advice from someone who is quite clearly unable to even function on a message board, I'll ask you.
Who are you ? But hey I've never seen as many insults in two posts for such an insignificant matter. So yea clearly u need advice on how to "function".

o yea btw your proposals blow.

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
And none of the 3 players were elite players at the time of the trade. You're talking about the 2nd highest goal scorer in the league (who is still only 23'ish), and is locked up for 4 more years, as well as a blue-chip prospect. And Roy was a play-off warrior 2 time Cup winner, one of those times with an underdog team.

Luongo's value is significantly impacted on a team ability to sign him to a long term extension. With the salary cap, no GM is going to move multiple young (aka-cheap) assets for a guy who hasn't proven it in the P/O's IMO.

And as much as I'm a Hawks fan - it's not like they're the 80's Oilers. IMO, all he needs to do is not luck Havlat's shot go right through him in game 4 and the series is practically over.
Im talking about the 2nd highest goal scorer in the league? Man , you gotta do your research a bit better. Last time I looked Vlasic was a young dman who had a decent year. Might want to read a bit better before entering into an argument.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Tough2PlayAgainst
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
2007 against the Dallas Stars Roberto Luongo was the best player in the series on either team.
Why does this keep popping up? In that series Turco was the better goaltender (his 3 shutouts alone should be evidence of that), but Vancouver was by far the better team.

Tough2PlayAgainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Who are you ? But hey I've never seen as many insults in two posts for such an insignificant matter. So yea clearly u need advice on how to "function".

o yea btw your proposals blow.
Thank you for adequately proving my point.

Old
05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
STAALing

Quote:
Thank you for adequately proving my point.
Maybe u had a point in your head, but the difference between you and I is that I attack your stupid proposals, not your person.

Old
05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Maybe u had a point in your head, but the difference between you and I is that I attack your stupid proposals, not your person.
Quote:
Can u stop already. Look at the previous Luongo deals. He just choked the playoffs and he's signed for one more year. Carter/JvR, Nabokov/Seto... damit. Just stop posting.
Quote:
I thought u took my advice of stopping. That would have been smart. Where did I mention Vlasic ?
Quote:
I'm sure you're going to find a new way to misconstrue my words and make it seem like you've been nothing but an A-Class citizen, so how about instead of fueling this pointless argument you actually READ what I posted on the last page and get back to me.

Here's some help: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...9#post19540149

Old
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post

Or

Luongo to Montreal.
Chris Higgins, P.K Subban and Carey Price to Vancouver.
Can't see the Lightning parting with Stamkos or having a tonne of interest in Luongo, unless he was willing to re-sign long term.

As for the 2nd deal, can't see the Canucks being interested. If they move Luongo it will partly be because they want to give Cory Schneider the reigns, so having a large part of any return for Luongo be a young goalie doesn't make a whole tonne of sense IMO. The Canucks would want more in the form of d-men/forwards.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:16 PM
STAALing

Quote:
I'm sure you're going to find a new way to misconstrue my words and make it seem like you've been nothing but an A-Class citizen, so how about instead of fueling this pointless argument you actually READ what I posted on the last page and get back to me.

Here's some help: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...9#post19540149

Bwahaha, u're funny.

Old
05-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
How about the Canucks just keep Luongo?
That is the way it will most likely play out. If he's willing to resign, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to move Luongo. You just don't unload elite goalies unless you're backed into a corner. And despite the knee-jerk reaction by many after last night, Luongo is most certainly elite.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:

Bwahaha, u're funny.
Yeah, that's all I needed. Obviously creating strong, compelling arguments or just communicating in an organized manner is simply asking too much from you.

I'm done here.

--------------------------------------------

Assuming your team can work out an extension with Roberto, what would you be willing to offer? Quite curious after some of the feedback here. (And many thanks to those who have already provided some input)

Last edited by Saren: 05-12-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
He had great stats against the Blues - but from what I saw of that series the Blues seemed just happy to be in the P/O's, at least until game 4. Being the best player in that series wasn't exactly an amazing accomplishment.

Luongo didn't steal any game game against the Hawks, and didn't come up with the REALLY big save when needed. Havlat's goal went right through him in game 4, and if he makes that save the Canucks are in the WCF IMO.

Winning 2 play-off series in 3 years isn't exactly putting the team on your back, especially when one of those was against the weakest team to make the P/O's this year (nothing against the Blues).

Don't get me wrong - I respect Luongo and what he's capable of. I just STRONGLY disagree that I'd Luongo would be most teams #1 choice going into the P/O's next year (Lundquist, Brodeur, MAF).
You didn't disprove anything I wrote. Roberto Luongo has been the best player for either side in 3 of the 4 playoff rounds he's played in his career. If you disagree with that statement, expand upon it by giving me a list of players that outplayed him in those 3 series.

Like I said, Luongo has had 1 disappointing series and 3 all-world series.

You haven't seen similar holes in Brodeur, Lundqvist and Fleury in the past couple years? There may be fans of opposing teams that would prefer to go into the playoffs with one of the guy's you mentioned but I'm pretty sure g.m.'s around the league would disagree.

I've been extremely vocal when Luongo has struggled in a Canuck uniform. There still isn't another goalie in the league that I would feel more comfortable with heading into a playoff series. You could make a case for another guy, just not a very convincing one.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You haven't seen similar holes in Brodeur, Lundqvist and Fleury in the past couple years?

Lundqvist and Brodeur both had dissapointing post-seasons themselves, and they didn't even make it out of the first round. Luongo's series vs the Hawks was certainly disappointing and you have to expect more out of your $7M goaltender, but if I'm Gillis I'm more concerned with the inept and immobile defense than I am with Luongo.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Moobles

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - I respect Luongo and what he's capable of. I just STRONGLY disagree that I'd Luongo would be most teams #1 choice going into the P/O's next year (Lundquist, Brodeur, MAF)
There is no #1 choice going into the playoffs ever. But that said, I'm hoping Gillis and others feel like this and we keep Luongo to give us a shot at redemption next year

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
jmwc95

Quote:

Tampa gets the goalie its been so desperately needing finishing last in save% the past 2 seasons along with 2 decent prospects. Luongo gets to move closer to his Florida home and his wifes family. Vancouver gets a solid backup who can split games with Schnieder, A great young player who is friends with Hodgson and the second overall pick (Hedman). This move would allow Vancouver to rebuild without much complaint from the fans, as they would be icing a young exciting team.
How the heck would that make sense for Tampa? You need to lay off the crack before making these posts. Let me see, the Lightning trade the 1st overall pick from 2008 and the 2nd overall pick from 2009 along with Mike Smith, and they get back Michael Grabner, 20-something overall pick in 2009, and one year of Roberto Luongo before he leaves as a UFA the following year. It hardly makes sense to trade 13 years of Stamkos and Hedman for 1 year on Luongo. Try again.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
How the heck would that make sense for Tampa? You need to lay off the crack before making these posts. Let me see, the Lightning trade the 1st overall pick from 2008 and the 2nd overall pick from 2009 along with Mike Smith, and they get back Michael Grabner, 20-something overall pick in 2009, and one year of Roberto Luongo before he leaves as a UFA the following year. It hardly makes sense to trade 13 years of Stamkos and Hedman for 1 year on Luongo. Try again.
What if Tampa could guarantee a contract for Luongo? They wouldn't even have to throw in Smith, because trading Luongo would ultimately mean that we're letting Schneider hold the reigns in front of the net. I think Stamkos + the 2nd overall for Luongo *who automatically gets a contract after the trade*, Grabner, and our 1st in '09 is a very, very good deal for Tampa.

Again, if people could make proposals based on the assumption that whoever receives Roberto will immediately extend him, that would be cheddar.

And by no means does this mean Vancouver is trading him. I'm merely speaking as though Roberto leaving us is an actual possibility (I like to gather thoughts, so to speak)

Old
05-12-2009, 11:55 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If he's signed or an agreement is in place then that's probably pretty fair value. I know tht this deal has the Nucks giving up their first but you are getting a first line scoring center and a puck-moving future top paring dman. Those are pretty valuable pieces and ones I'm not too certain the Flyers managment would trade. The fact that you are including your first tells me that you are both serious and reasonable. Many would expect yo get both Carter and Sbisa for Luongo but I just don't see how he returns that much alone.
to be honest, i'd rather not part with the first rounder if possible. initially i thought of taking some salary dump (ie: jones or carle or lupul, etc) instead. but i don't see how it make sense for you guys to lose 3 roster players just to gain luongo, plus i want to spend the cap space on some UFAs. i also wonder how valuable our first rounder is to a contending team like your's. but hey, if you like the deal, i'll gladly take it (assuming luongo won't resign with us).

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:59 PM
knivez

Quote:
What kind of player would be stupid enough to sign a lifetime contract with Tampa Bay?

Oh wait .

knivez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:16 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
to be honest, i'd rather not part with the first rounder if possible. initially i thought of taking some salary dump (ie: jones or carle or lupul, etc) instead. but i don't see how it make sense for you guys to lose 3 roster players just to gain luongo, plus i want to spend the cap space on some UFAs. i also wonder how valuable our first rounder is to a contending team like your's. but hey, if you like the deal, i'll gladly take it (assuming luongo won't resign with us).
It ptobably doesn't make much sense for us but it's still probably pretty fair value wise. For us we'd be better off DEALING our first rather than players like Carter. Also, increasing the deal by including Sbisa and getting a 1st in return takes us even further in the wrong direction. We are a team who's window is open for the next 5 years max before we start losing significant pieces to the team.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Flyersguru

A trade with Carter and JVR going to other way would require the Nucks giving up something else. Yes I know it's Luongo but Luongo with 1 year remaining on a contract does have as much value as a Luongo with a few years left on a contract. JVR still has 3 years left on his entry level deal, Carter has 2 years left, plus he'll turn RFA, which means he's either a Nuck or you get multiple 1st round picks.

If you breakdown a trade of Carter and JVR for Luongo, Van. needs to pony up with a little more.

Just my 2 cents.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivez View Post
What kind of player would be stupid enough to sign a lifetime contract with Tampa Bay?

Oh wait .
I meant 6 more years for Stamkos and 7 years of Hedman before they hit UFA.

By the way, the CBA strictly PROHIBITS negotiating with a player before they are traded. The team trading for him would have ZERO guarantees that he will resign with them (which Tampa has ZERO chance of resigning him because he wants to play for a contender). Vancouver would have to sign him first and then trade him which a player will never do because it hurts their value (they have more leverage once they are traded and still without an extension) and there are no guarantees they will be traded or traded to the team they want.

Again, I ask, why would a rebuilding team trade two young franchise players for a 30 year old goalie regardless of how many years he has left on his contract? Sure they'll be solid in goal the next few years but won't be able to score or play defense.

Here is what is going to happen with Luongo. He won't sign an extension this summer. Vancouver won't trade him because they don't want to put all their eggs in a basket with a rookie (Schneider). Schneider will back up Luongo and get a solid 25 games of experience. If Vancouver is still in the playoff hunt at the deadline and Schneider hasn't outplayed Luongo, then they won't trade him. Then at the end of the season he'll walk and sign with a team that he thinks has a better chance of winning the Cup. You get nothing.

That is why he won't bring back what you think he's worth in a trade.

Old
05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
A trade with Carter and JVR going to other way would require the Nucks giving up something else. Yes I know it's Luongo but Luongo with 1 year remaining on a contract does have as much value as a Luongo with a few years left on a contract. JVR still has 3 years left on his entry level deal, Carter has 2 years left, plus he'll turn RFA, which means he's either a Nuck or you get multiple 1st round picks.

If you breakdown a trade of Carter and JVR for Luongo, Van. needs to pony up with a little more.

Just my 2 cents.
I can't believe that any Flyers fan would consider sending Carter to Vancouver in any deal centered around Luongo.

Old
05-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
I can't believe that any Flyers fan would consider sending Carter to Vancouver in any deal centered around Luongo.
They're pretty ****ing stacked down the middle, man. I only wish our center depth was that insane.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

This deal is so far out of whack I can't possibly describe it. There is NO way that TB would move either Stamkos or the 2nd overall with 1 year of Luongo as the centerpiece of the deal coming back. Adding in the 2nd overall pick is just getting kinky IMO.

Where Luongo wants to live has NO bearing on this deal, unless he's willing to resign in TB long term at a reduced rate, which I highly doubt.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote