HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I have an idea for the NHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2004, 12:40 PM
  #1
SSTONGE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
I have an idea for the NHL

Salary cap of 30 millions
+ you can have two star players at any price
But if you go over 40 millions in totals, you need to pay
some sort of tax compensation for the teams under 40 millions.

Example: you signed all your players and you reach 30 millions.

you sign player "A" at 4.5 millions and player "B" at 8 millions.
Your 2 millions over (total of all players including 2 star cannot pass
40 millions). So, the team will get taxes on the 12.5 millions to go to the
league.

Maybe it's a stupid idea... just getting depress....

SSTONGE is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 04:20 PM
  #2
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,500
vCash: 500
I don't really like that. Some team don't have any star player and BTW, what is a Star Player?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 05:16 PM
  #3
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTONGE
Salary cap of 30 millions
+ you can have two star players at any price
But if you go over 40 millions in totals, you need to pay
some sort of tax compensation for the teams under 40 millions.

Example: you signed all your players and you reach 30 millions.

you sign player "A" at 4.5 millions and player "B" at 8 millions.
Your 2 millions over (total of all players including 2 star cannot pass
40 millions). So, the team will get taxes on the 12.5 millions to go to the
league.

Maybe it's a stupid idea... just getting depress....
it is exactly what the playes don't want ...a lot of them are scare that a little group are going to get big contract leaving all the others with '' indecent '' salary

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 05:59 PM
  #4
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
I would add a player to each team's roster from 23 to 24 and impose a cap of $36M, which means an average salary of $1.5M.

Teams could neither pay less than 50% of that $36M cap ($18M) or more than 150% of that cap ($54M). Each team exceeding the initial $36M cap would have to pay a compensation tax of 50% of the excess. The $54M becomes a hard cap. Teams with a lot of money would be allowed to have a payroll of $54M but having to pay $18M in compensation taxes (going to the league to help small market teams) they would then have total salary costs of $72M.

Not perfect but better than what we have now or Bettman's stupid proposition to the NHLPA of a $30M hard cap take it or leave it.


rocketlives is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 06:25 PM
  #5
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTONGE
Salary cap of 30 millions
+ you can have two star players at any price
But if you go over 40 millions in totals, you need to pay
some sort of tax compensation for the teams under 40 millions.

Example: you signed all your players and you reach 30 millions.

you sign player "A" at 4.5 millions and player "B" at 8 millions.
Your 2 millions over (total of all players including 2 star cannot pass
40 millions). So, the team will get taxes on the 12.5 millions to go to the
league.

Maybe it's a stupid idea... just getting depress....

I think you're really close to a good suggestion . The problem is that the players would NOT accept this deal in any shape or form. They have expressed that under absolutely no circumstance they will accept a cap. I like your idea though.

tritone is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 06:50 PM
  #6
Habs4Life
Registered User
 
Habs4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
I think you're really close to a good suggestion . The problem is that the players would NOT accept this deal in any shape or form. They have expressed that under absolutely no circumstance they will accept a cap. I like your idea though.
Well if this is the case... Watch the WHA grow...

Habs4Life is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 09:41 PM
  #7
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life
Well if this is the case... Watch the WHA grow...
Unless the Lock-out lasts for more than a full season I strongly doubt any league will ever grow anywhere close to what the NHL is . Even if the NHL loses a significant amount of fans during the lock-out I firmly believe they will survive and thrive under a new system that they agree upon. Unfortunately it will still leave a bad taste in the mouths of the die-hard fans , but the die-hard fans will not stray anyway . As for the casual fans, they probably aren't really bothered by the Lock-out all that much anyway . So when the NHL resumes they'll just resume casually watching their game.

tritone is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
  #8
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I was all for a cap not too long ago, but now ive learned something new about it. You cant make a Dynasty mainly because you cant keep the group of players together for long periods of times due t budget restrictions and player demans, which will always be high to some extent, its human nature. I really dont want too loose a Perezhogan, Kostitsyn or Higgins 5 years down the road after all tha work developing them, and watching them grow if your a fan.........

Mooch is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
  #9
not quite yoda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Qatar
Posts: 3,502
vCash: 500
Mooch, if high turnover is the price to pay for a healthy, competitive canadiens franchise... maybe we shoulod accept it. It is better than having Higgins for ten years and then seeing him re-locate to the Portland Rampage because the Habs had to move there for financial reasons.


not quite yoda is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 11:33 PM
  #10
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Mooch, if high turnover is the price to pay for a healthy, competitive canadiens franchise... maybe we shoulod accept it. It is better than having Higgins for ten years and then seeing him re-locate to the Portland Rampage because the Habs had to move there for financial reasons.

Thats true, but there are other solutions other than the salary cap.

Mooch is offline  
Old
09-28-2004, 11:43 PM
  #11
not quite yoda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Qatar
Posts: 3,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Thats true, but there are other solutions other than the salary cap.
if you are reffering at the mlb luxury tax... that s no solution -see expos.

if you have "OTHER SOLUTIONS" that will work for both sides, by all means write a letter to the nhl.


not quite yoda is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.