HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolts ask for Schenn

Old
05-13-2009, 06:36 AM
JT 91 NYI*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
Leafs general manager Brian Burke has confirmed to Sportsnet that the Lightning have asked for Toronto defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Luke Schenn along with the team's No. 7 pick in exchange for Tampa's No. 2 selection.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...g_trade_talks/
Why does Toronto want the 2nd pick anyway? Tavares is gonna go 1st to the Isles. I thought they wanted Tavares?

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Sony Eriksson*

I think this is more of a move by Tampa to show the rest of the league Vinny's value. That sure is a lot for Toronto to be giving up.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI View Post
Why does Toronto want the 2nd pick anyway? Tavares is gonna go 1st to the Isles. I thought they wanted Tavares?
Who knows? What's more likely is that TB wants Hedman. So the price for the #2 pick almost certainly depends upon who the Isles pick. Not knowing that, there's no basis for any deal.

If NYI pick Hedman, TB may lower their price to #7 and Schenn. If the Isles pick Tavares, it would take a ridiculous price to make TB trade #2. If the Isles pick Hedman the the Leafs have to compete with every other team that wants Tavares or Duchene (assuming Colorado wants Duchene at #3).

Given my info, I'm ambivalent as an Isles fan between Tavares and Hedman... But as a draft-watcher, I hope the Isles pick Hedman because that could produce an extremely entertaining draft.

Lock it up: there will be no deal for the #2 pick until the Isles announce their intentions on #1 (either by making the pick, or signing the player before the draft). I will donate $100 to HF if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI View Post
a) The Isles could pick Hedman, leaving Tavares available at 2
b) Its much easier to convince the Isles to trade down when they'd be trading down to 2 instead of of 7

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:27 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Seriously wow, I'm shocked thats the actual price TB is setting, and I'll admit I was wrong in what I believed TB would ask for. Safe to say, Burke won't bite.
Well if he wants the pick as much as he says he does he just might have to. Anybody who thinks Schenn is not going to be targeted is out of his mind.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Lier X Agerate
Avs and Wolves

My trade for the 2nd overall selection:
To Tampa Bay
Schenn - 3rd rounder

To Toronto
2nd Overall Selection

My rational:
I would take the lumbering 6'6" 220 lb defenceman who's been playing pro hockey for 2 years any day over Luke Schenn.

Lier X Agerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:54 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
The draft really can't come soon enough. And I say that more out of annoyance than anticipation.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexob18 View Post
To Tampa Bay
Schenn - 3rd rounder

To Toronto
2nd Overall Selection

My rational:
I would take the lumbering 6'6" 220 lb defenceman who's been playing pro hockey for 2 years any day over Luke Schenn.
Why does Tampa do that, if you consider Hedman that much better than Schenn?

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:15 AM
burke4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylove View Post
New word on the street.

From Toronto: 7th Overall

From Tampa: 2nd overall + Malone

God let it happen.
lol i wish... if burke was to EVER able to pull off that deal, i would change religions to Burkism!

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:24 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizkey View Post
Why would these things be negotiated through the media? It's turning into a joke.

Maybe it always was.
Toronto + Burke the loud mouth media ***** = circus. If you are a TO fan, get used to it.

It was a joke the day that Burke held a presser to say that he was going after one of the first two picks. What was the point of that? Certainly not strategic from a negotiations stand point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

I wonder what Lawton's real end game here is - he knows this offer is ridiculous. So, what is he really expecting in return for the 2nd?
Is the offer really that ridiculous? The 1st or 2nd overall in this draft is very likely to get you a franchise player in Tavares or Hedman. 7th overall is a gamble - you very well could end up with a dud picking 7th. So to give up what is almost a sure thing for a gamble at 7, I dont think that a guy like Schenn is too much to ask on top of it. Schenn is a great young player, but he won't be an elite, franchise player (I will duck and wait for Buds fans that think Schenn is the second coming). I like Schenn, but that asking price is not unreasonable.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
b) Its much easier to convince the Isles to trade down when they'd be trading down to 2 instead of of 7
Hedman is going to be a great player and I wouldn't mind taking him but the Islanders ARE 100% taking John Tavares.

Old
05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexob18 View Post
To Tampa Bay
Schenn - 3rd rounder

To Toronto
2nd Overall Selection

My rational:
You and your children should be banned from this site for an eternity for a proposal like that. Schenn and a 3rd rounder? What a joke...

Old
05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
boredmale

As an Islanders fan, if Toronto can somehow land the #2 pick, I would trade the #1 pick and #26 pick and for #2 and Schenn.

Making it a very convoluted trade if they can get Colorado in the deal somehow I would be willing to move down to #3 for Schenn(ie Toronto gets #1, Colorado #2, Islanders #3 and Tampa gets #7 and a bunch of stuff from Toronto and Colorado).

Last edited by boredmale: 05-13-2009 at 09:05 AM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:00 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
I would trade down to 2 and take Hedman but not at the price of a 2nd round pick. By the time the Leafs have moved up to 2, they will have traded all their assests. Schenn would be gone. We don't want Kaberle. You have nothing else of even mild interest. Maybe your 2010 1st rounder?

Old
05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
As an Islanders fan, if Toronto can somehow land the #2 pick, I would trade the #1 pick and #26 pick for #2 and Schenn.
Islanders need offense and getting Hedman and Schenn would be nice, and the trade is fair but I don't see it happening.

Old
05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Redline

vCash: 50
Burke is breaking the news early that he'll be unable to make his move.There won't be a leaf fan anywhere thats upset with him not getting the 1st or 2nd overall with this knowledge of the cost to factor in. Not all that bad of a move really.

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Burke is breaking the news early that he'll be unable to make his move.There won't be a leaf fan anywhere thats upset with him not getting the 1st or 2nd overall with this knowledge of the cost to factor in. Not all that bad of a move really.
I agree with this, it's positioning by Burke who by now may know he isn't going to be able to get into the top 2.

The chance to get Cowen isn't a bad consolation prize for Leafs' fans.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:33 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Good. If the Lightning are passing on Hedman/Tavares, they better be getting a significant return.
This.Seriously, I'm up to here with Burke's arrogance.

Of course Tampa is going to want significant return on a prospect rated that high.They're not just going to say, "Oh, well since you want it that bad, I guess we won't ask for much back in return"

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
AUC2MIC

Give me a break... Giving up Schenn and Kaberle to move up FIVE spots

AUC2MIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Toronto + Burke the loud mouth media ***** = circus. If you are a TO fan, get used to it.

It was a joke the day that Burke held a presser to say that he was going after one of the first two picks. What was the point of that? Certainly not strategic from a negotiations stand point.

It doesn't bother us.

Burke didn't hold his press conference just to announce his intention to move up. Our season was over, and like all GMs once their season has ended, they hold a presser. He answered a few questions from the media, one of which was if he intended to move up in the draft and he answered in the affirmative. Of course the media's going to go nuts over that information, but he wasn't just doing it to grandstand. He was asked a question and answered it honestly. As a Leafs fan, I find it refreshing to know our GM reaches for the top in spite of impossible odds and isn't scared of media or fan scrutiny.

And like he's been saying, he did it because he knows he can't "sneak up on people" as he's done this before (moving up in the draft). It might be wise then to give him the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming he made a mistake by going public.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylove View Post
New word on the street.

From Toronto: 7th Overall

From Tampa: 2nd overall + Malone

God let it happen.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
MXD

I think Schenn is overrated -- I used to say he could turn out to be the next Gary Nylund, but that was unnecessary mean and Schenn wasn't injured yet, even though Schenn had the same projections than Nylund had when he was picked -- (even if every winning team in the past has had some Schenns), but that's indeed an extremely high price. Moving Schenn + Kaberle WITHOUT THE PICK might be... Well, getting there.

'cause I really think they can replace Schenn with either the 2nd or the 7th pick. Even though there are no Schenn type of player projected to go that high.

But really... I'd rather have Hedman than Schenn and I'd rather have anybody the Leafs would pick at 7th (Evander Kane? Dimitry Kulikov? )than a guy who doesn't fit in the gameplan anymore.

The thing is.... Lawton knows this. At least, I hope he knows.

Last edited by MXD: 05-13-2009 at 10:30 AM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Senator View Post
Vinny to Montreal, and Gainey said that the names he was putting out were Higgins, Plekanec and Gorges, but I'm sure there would have to be more involved.

This would be overpayment from Toronto, but Hedman will be an elite defenseman.
PK Subban was involved in this as well.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Liminality

What if the leafs were after Duchene and not Hedman?

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
What if the leafs were after Duchene and not Hedman?
Well, they should really look forward trading up to no.3 instead.