HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI - MTL (Late 1st Draft Picks)

Old
05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
NSi

vCash: 500
NYI - MTL (Late 1st Draft Picks)

Hey Guys,

Don't know if this was already discussed.

There are some speculations that the NYI would be interested in advancing in the first round from the 26th spot they have (from San Jose).

Montreal doesn't possess a 2nd rounder, which is probably something they would like to address in what is said to be a deep draft.

Would it be fair value-wise to propose Montreal's first (which will be the 17th or 18th choice, depending on an Anaheim win or lost in game 7 against the Wings) for the 26th and the 31st (or 37th)?

Is the gap big enough between the 17th/18th and 26th to justify giving up an additional 2nd to move up?

Just curious. Thanks.

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Etienne

Makes no sense from Habs point-of-view.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Probably not.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Dan-o16

Of course it makes sense, but it all depends on the NYI's and MTL's draft boards. 2nd Round picks are valued less to NYI than other teams (MTL). They've got diminishing returns to NYI as you probably can't sign all of them. I would be surprised if the Isles don't do something like this. 17/18 is exactly the sort of place that someone who was expected to go higher will fall (i.e. 17 - Parise to NJD who traded up to pick there).

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:08 AM
NSi

Quote:
Why so?

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Of course it makes sense, but it all depends on the NYI's and MTL's draft boards. 2nd Round picks are valued less to NYI than other teams (MTL). They've got diminishing returns to NYI as you probably can't sign all of them. I would be surprised if the Isles don't do something like this. 17/18 is exactly the sort of place that someone who was expected to go higher will fall (i.e. 17 - Parise to NJD who traded up to pick there).

Cheers,

Dan-o
I agree. it would make perfect sense for NYI to do this, but I feel like montreal ( more so bob gainey) won't do it.
If they give gainey the boot then they might do this.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
picking 17th or 18th vs picking 26th and say 31st, makes no sense? The Habs have one pick in the top 64, I don't see how dropping down 6 or 7 spots makes no sense.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Casey Ryback

I think it makes sense if they want to add prospect depth but I think thats too but it is a pretty big drop in the second round. I'd say its a good deal if the Habs are getting the 31st but not 37th.

Casey Ryback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
I think it makes sense if they want to add prospect depth but I think thats too but it is a pretty big drop in the second round. I'd say its a good deal if the Habs are getting the 31st but not 37th.
Well you wait and see who's still on board when it nears your pick, if you think you can get that guy or someone close to it 6 or 7 spots later then go for it.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSi View Post
Hey Guys,

There are some speculations that the NYI would be interested in advancing in the first round from the 26th spot they have (from San Jose).

Montreal doesn't possess a 2nd rounder, which is probably something they would like to address in what is said to be a deep draft.

Would it be fair value-wise to propose Montreal's first (which will be the 17th or 18th choice, depending on an Anaheim win or lost in game 7 against the Wings) for the 26th and the 31st (or 37th)?

Is the gap big enough between the 17th/18th and 26th to justify giving up an additional 2nd to move up?

Just curious. Thanks.
Why does our draft pick hing on the 7th game??? I thought we already picked before Anahiem because they advanced past the first round and we didn't.

Didn't they change it to that way this year?????

05-13-2009, 10:47 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Isles will definitely do that.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I think the Habs would trade the 17th for the 26th and 31st if the guy they want is either taken or they feel will be available later.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
picking 17th or 18th vs picking 26th and say 31st, makes no sense? The Habs have one pick in the top 64, I don't see how dropping down 6 or 7 spots makes no sense.
Just saying that the Habs have the depth, now they need the quality. Unless the prospect they want isn't gonna be drafted in the first round, there's just no reason to do this.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Just saying that the Habs have the depth, now they need the quality. Unless the prospect they want isn't gonna be drafted in the first round, there's just no reason to do this.
They don't have the depth, they lack center prospects and goalie prospects, so if they could land 2 centers at 26th and 31sth, vs one center at 17th/18th, I don't see why it doesn't make sense. We are talking about dropping back 6 spots, so I doubt the difference in quality is going to be all that much to the point that it at least makes sense.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Of course it makes sense, but it all depends on the NYI's and MTL's draft boards. 2nd Round picks are valued less to NYI than other teams (MTL).
Exactly, it's impossible for any of us to say unless we knew the Habs' rankings and what visibility they had on whether they might think they could get their guy at #26 instead of at #17.

But generally speaking, I think there are two factors that would be at play against the idea of the Habs trading down:

1) The Habs do need quality more than quantity in their system now. So they aren't likely to pass up the chance to get the player they feel gives them the most quality, unless they really have a firm belief that guy is available off the board to what the rest of the league is thinking.

2) The draft is in Montreal, and it probably wouldn't feel like good PR to be primed to step up to the podium and instead announce they were dropping back 10 spots. I mean, PR can't stand in the way of a good hockey trade... but... they aren't going to make the trade just with a shrug without a lot of really strong motivation to do so.

(That said, personally, I usually like the idea of such trade-downs, because I'm rarely at a spot by #17-18 that whoever is available there appeals to me that much more than two guys around #30 would... but that's just me. I'm eternally optimistic about my chances of picking well at #30, and constantly striving to get the #30 pick anyway. )

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Darth Milbury

This trade makes tons of sense for both teams -the main variable is who each team likes in the draft. Habs may like somebody who will be gone by 26, and Isles may like somebody who will be available.

But, I'm down for this on principal.

Fire up the fax.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Depends if Leblanc or Holland are gone or not, we have enough mid tier prospects, we need somebody with 1st line potential ASAP

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Why does our draft pick hing on the 7th game??? I thought we already picked before Anahiem because they advanced past the first round and we didn't.

I think you're right, right now we should be set with pick #16

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Okay.
Lemme get this straight.

To MTL:
The 26th and a 2nd rounder (The Isles have the 31st, 37th, and some other pick depending on how Boston does.)

To NYI;
The 17th or 18th pick.

I would say it depends on which 2nd round pick. Maybe the 37th.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Fozz

IF the Islanders have a guy they really like #17/18 and Montreal has a few players they like still on the board, it makes perfect sense for both team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

Anaheim has to make it to the Conference finals to move down the draft. If they lose tonight, they keep their pick and the Habs get 18th.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Just curious. Thanks.
If Kredier is gone Habs may be interested

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:56 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Just curious. Thanks.
The trade (and value) would all depend on who is available when Montreal picks. These trades usually don't happen until just before the pick is made for that reason. The value looks good at this point, 26th and 31st, for Montreal but only if they coveted a few players who would project to go in that range. If a player like Zach Kassian or Ryan Ellis falls to a pick like this, its value will increase.

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Slevesque

I they could get Kreider at 26th, then I'm all for it

and then draft a gy like rajala with the 31th

Slevesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Meh, the Habs getting a 2nd rounder isn't really that crucial as we have ATL's 3rd rounder from the Schneider deal.

I also think getting only a 2nd, even if it's really high, to trade down 8-9 spots is not enough. Last year, the Predators traded the 40th pick to move up from 9 to 7.

In all, I'd rather stay at 17/18 to be sure we grab a Holland/Leblanc/Morin type or a guy who is falling from the top 12 and not take the risk of hoping one of them falls to 26, unless the Habs have about 8 players they view as comparable, which I doubt.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
phlocky

If I were the Flyers I'd trade you our 1st (21st right now with the chance to move up to 20th or 19th depending upon how the Canes and Ducks fair) for the 26th and 37th picks.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote