HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Would Montreal take Theodore back?

Old
05-13-2009, 10:29 AM
octopi

vCash: 500
Would Montreal take Theodore back?

Seems like Theodore has possibly become expendable for the Caps with the two young goalies in the wings and possibility of keeping Brent Johnson to split the duties with Varlamov. Of course a few contracts have to be wrangled out, just seems like this might be the path to take for them.

Think Montreal would take Theo , as it looks like Price could use as similar system?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Seems like Theodore has possibly become expendable for the Caps with the two young goalies in the wings and possibility of keeping Brent Johnson to split the duties with Varlamov. Of course a few contracts have to be wrangled out, just seems like this might be the path to take for them.

Think Montreal would take Theo , as it looks like Price could use as similar system?
NO, no ...no ...niet....non....please god no.

HE has his time here I would much rather have Price and Halak. I think Theo is going to be done soon, just no the goalie he once was.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

lol, what possible reason could they have for doing that?

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Richer

No possible way.

Richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:08 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Sorry OP, Caps are seemingly stuck with their mistake. Very few teams would be willing to take on a $4.5 mil backup goalie, which is basically the level Theodore is at right now. Especially not a team like Montreal, who already has 2 superior, cheaper options in net. Only team that really stands out as having a need for Theodore is Colorado, and they passed on him last Summer.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Maxpac

No way dude, We'l use our cap space to stock up on 1st line forwards, not overpaid backup goalies, especially when we have Halak at only 875K/year

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
El Maestro

Honnestly, I don't think that there is one single team today who would want to have Theodore and his horrible contract.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
The Theodore contract was the dumbest signing of the entire offseason. He's not a serviceable starter and is a back-up goaltender at his absolute best.

Just a terrible job by Washington management.

I would sign 10 Redden's before 1 Theodore. At least Redden had a great 2nd half and playoffs. Theodore was awful all year long.

Washington's best bet is to just buy him out.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:04 PM
sonny side up

I can see Tampa taking on Theo for some god awful reason.... or some team that is short of the cap basement

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
I doubt anyone would take Theodore.. The caps are probably stuck with him for another year..

Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The Theodore contract was the dumbest signing of the entire offseason. He's not a serviceable starter and is a back-up goaltender at his absolute best.

I would sign 10 Redden's before 1 Theodore. At least Redden had a great 2nd half and playoffs. Theodore was awful all year long.

Wow, you must not have watched the Caps at all after, say, December. Theo was awesome after Christmas.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
The Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
lol, what possible reason could they have for doing that?
To show Price how to be more of a party animal.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Caekslap

I lol'd, hard.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
The Pucks

Man, the quality of ideas around here today leave something to be desired

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I don't even know what this means, but is it supposed to explain why Montreal would take Theodore back? Because that's really what I'm interested in hearing.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 02:22 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Wow, you must not have watched the Caps at all after, say, December. Theo was awesome after Christmas.
Wow, you must not have watched the Caps at all after, say, April 14th.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
STAALing

Quote:

WTF. Are u joking ??

Quote:
Don't stretch things either there... lol Redden. Is that the sound of bitter ?

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:

Right, a 2-year contract was the dumbest signing.

Theodore was the only option. Unless we wanted Huet for 5.625mil for 4 years. Theodore wasn't the solution nor the answer, he was signed as a placeholder until a better option was found. He's capable of being a solid #1, but you just never know what you'll get with Theo.

backs4mvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:

It's about term. I would sign Theodore to his current deal and sit him for the entire two years before going with the kind of term that Redden received.

All the Caps need do with Theodore is pay him one more year. Hell, with Varlamov's endurance an unknown, they are going to need Theodore next year. The two will probably have a 50-30 split. Theodore will be a valuable guy to have around, albeit overpaid. He then leaves, that money goes towards signing Backstrom/Semin, and Neuvirth gets promoted to the backup position.

The key with the Theodore deal has always been the term. There's no long-term risk. That makes it a lot more palatable than any long contract that turns out to be a mistake. It's a far sight better than the Huet contract. Theodore was signed as a placeholder, and that he has been to a T, playing the lion's share of games this season and then giving way to Varlamov, per the plan.

Caps fans who believe there is a market for Theodore are delusional, but the downside is not so very severe either. It's one more year with an overpaid backup playing 30 games, and ready to step in if Varlamov should backslide.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Not at this stage in his career a 4 million per back up...

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Wow, you must not have watched the Caps at all after, say, April 14th.
One game in the playoffs does not making him a worse signing than Redden. Besides, he was doing us a service, without that game we wouldn't have had Varlamov step up, right?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I laugh at the notion that a guy who just led his team to one of the best records in the league, who is signed for ONLY 1 more year at a relatively cheap $4+ mil, is a bad contract.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Really? How about Huet?

10 Redden's before 1 Theo. Talk about a boat anchor contract....All I can say is that we're all lucky you don't run an NHL team.

FWIW, Theo was actually very good from Christmas on (or just past Christmas), so obviously you have no clue what you're talking about with regards to his performance.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Go Habs Go

Theodore's family is connected to the mob in Montreal, so no, no way will he ever be back.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:28 PM
peperebougon*

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't think so. No interest at all. We need the money to spend elsewhere.

And we have enough gangstas in da house. This guy doesn't even like hockey that much. He just happened to have an elite talent but no desire to get better. Alexandre Daigle is another example...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote